Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - how do I create a database?
how do I create a database?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookmanjoe
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: how do I create a database?

The drop down menu using the wizard, for "tables and queries" shows nothing. I am stuck at number 1 (field selection). There is nothing else available to do other than to cancel or click help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject:

I would recommend reading the database setup and design tutorials that one our volunteers - Lorinda - has written. It is lengthly but it is IMHO very thorough:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/To_Base_and_Back_Again

Do the tutorials help?

Patrick
bookmanjoe
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject:

No. The drop down menu she says to use, doesn't drop down anything, which is the problem I have already stated.

pluby wrote:
I would recommend reading the database setup and design tutorials that one our volunteers - Lorinda - has written. It is lengthly but it is IMHO very thorough:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/To_Base_and_Back_Again

Do the tutorials help?

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject:

What version of NeoOffice are you running?

You can determine this by selecting the menu Help :: About NeoOffice, when NeoOffice is running.

--fran

Edited by pluby: corrected menu name
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject:

There are several wizards in the database module. Can you tell us exactly what you are trying to do, or which part of the tutorial you are working with?

Lorinda
bookmanjoe
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject:

Hi Lorinda,
Thank you for your help. I am using the latest NeoOffice 2.2.5 patch 6. I am trying to create a new database. I now have gotten all the way to "work with the form." Then the form disappears! If I click on its title in recent documents, it starts the whole thing over again, having the wizard create the database from the beginning. What am I missing?

thanks,

Lorinda wrote:
There are several wizards in the database module. Can you tell us exactly what you are trying to do, or which part of the tutorial you are working with?

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject:

So you are using the form wizard to create a new form?

How long are you waiting? The form wizard and the form itself will disappear momentarily while the underlying wizard code "does it stuff." then it should reappear.

The wiki article did not specify that the form disappears, only that the form wizard does. I have now corrected it to explain that the form will disappear, too.

If you wait, does the form reappear? You will then need to save it.

Lorinda
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject:

I do not understand how you are opening your form. Forms are objects within a database and to access them you need to open the database file that they are within. A database file is represented by a file that ends with .odb.

To ensure that we are talking about the same things, can you please do the following steps:

1. Open the .odb file you originally created. Do you see the main database document window which has a column on the left side labeled Database that contains the following icons: Tables, Queries, Forms, Reports?

2. If yes, click on Forms. Is the name of the form that you previously created listed in the Forms section of the window?

--fran
bookmanjoe
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject:

The form does not reappear...

Lorinda wrote:
So you are using the form wizard to create a new form?

How long are you waiting? The form wizard and the form itself will disappear momentarily while the underlying wizard code "does it stuff." then it should reappear.

The wiki article did not specify that the form disappears, only that the form wizard does. I have now corrected it to explain that the form will disappear, too.

If you wait, does the form reappear? You will then need to save it.

Lorinda
bookmanjoe
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject:

It opens with "forms" already highlighted. It does not show the database I created. It is a blank box.

narf wrote:
I do not understand how you are opening your form. Forms are objects within a database and to access them you need to open the database file that they are within. A database file is represented by a file that ends with .odb.

To ensure that we are talking about the same things, can you please do the following steps:

1. Open the .odb file you originally created. Do you see the main database document window which has a column on the left side labeled Database that contains the following icons: Tables, Queries, Forms, Reports?

2. If yes, click on Forms. Is the name of the form that you previously created listed in the Forms section of the window?

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:

Select Tables icon above the Forms icon. Are there any tables listed in the Tables section?

If no, then your problem is that you must create a table before you can create a form.

--fran
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Went to web site recommended by pluby.

Dumb Dumb Dumb question. How do you create an account in neowiki? Even the window that is titled Log in/ create account doesn't seem to have the right buttons.

MartyA
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:

martya wrote:
Dumb Dumb Dumb question. How do you create an account in neowiki? Even the window that is titled Log in/ create account doesn't seem to have the right buttons.

You only need an account on the NeoWiki if you plan on helping us maintain (edit) it; if so, the instructions for obtaining an account are on this page (registration is done manually by wiki admins).

You should be able to view any and all content on the wiki without an account. If it's asking you to log in just to read the pages, something is quite wrong somewhere Sad

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1