DataBase

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: DataBase

About DataBase

Very old but very new to this program.

Years ago I set up a DataBase program, in Appleworks, that allows me to keep records of our medical expenses.

I haven't been able to determine if or how to do the same in NeoOffice.

Is it the case tharpt perhaps the program is not yet mature in that module or is my age showing?

Any words of encouragement will make my day.

martya
Quote:
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:

The database module is the newest module in NeoOffice and it's certainly not as easy to use as AppleWorks Sad

Lorinda has written an excellent tutorial in the wiki that should help a lot (once we sort out the problem seeing the wiki that you mentioned in the other thread).

You might also find this article about opening AppleWorks documents in NeoOffice; you may be able to import your existing AW database using the steps in that article and then possibly use the information in this thread along with Lorinda's "To Base and Back" tutorial to recreate the "forms" layout from your AW database.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:

One of the most significant differences between Appleworks and NeoOffice when it comes to databases is that Appleworks was a "flat" database, and NeoOffice's Base is a relational database.

Flat databases store all their data in one table. Relational databases can contain many tables, with different types of data. These different tables can then relate to each other.

So, for example, in a relational database for a school, there might be separate tables for : students, teachers, classes, rooms, etc.

With relational databases, it is very important to think through how the data should be organized.

I'm happy to help you think this through, if you want to give the Base component in NeoOffice a try.

If you want something a little more user friendly, you might want to take a look at Bento.

Lorinda
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject:

Lorinda

You suggested that you might be able to help so...

It's been over a month since I could have replied and I don't know what happens then, but here goes.

I am going thru the User guide in trying to learn how to use Base. I got up to creating a Data Entry Form and was supposed to click on "Modify The Form" and then Click "Finish" I probably didn't do that right because I ended up in the Data Entry Form I guess ready to use it.

My question is how would I get into an edit mode where I could modify the Data Entry Form. I pushed every button I could with no luck.

I know that I can start over but there must be a way to edit/modify.

Martya
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:

martya wrote:
My question is how would I get into an edit mode where I could modify the Data Entry Form.

Can you try the following steps to edit a Data Entry Form?:

- Select the Forms icon in the left hand side of the Database window
- Select the form would like to edit in the Forms section
- Control-click or right-click and select Edit from the menu that appears

Does that allow you to edit your form?

--fran
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I've tried that in the past. More options light up but I don't know what to do with them.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject:

If you are following narf's steps in the right window, a new window should open containing the form. Is this what happens?

If it does, then tell us more about what you need to edit in the form.

Lorinda
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what is in the Users Guide. I thought that in "modification" you can move the fields around to achieve a physical layout that you want. Similar to what I did in Appleworks.

If I am wrong I'll just proceed with my self education.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject:

martya wrote:
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what is in the Users Guide. I thought that in "modification" you can move the fields around to achieve a physical layout that you want. Similar to what I did in Appleworks.

If I am wrong I'll just proceed with my self education.

I believe narf's steps are what you need. "Edit" in Base means "modify layout" and this is what narf's steps do: they open up the form but instead of being able to enter data into the form, you can move, change, or delete existing elements in the form or add more elements to the form.

Patrick
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:

The edit window has all the elements in columns and I can easily move the columns around.

In the example used in the Users Guide, however, the elements are not in columns but positioned as the designer wanted them placed.

Perhaps what I need to learn is to move a column heading to a different row?
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like you have the form set up as a data sheet.

Do you remember how you had it set up?

Lorinda
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I was following Chapter 7: Databases and Data Sources, of the "Neooffice_User_Guide which starts out creating a New Database File.

If there is a better tutorial I'll be glad to try it.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject:

The tutorial is a good one; I just checked and it has you set the layout as In Blocks-Labels Above.

Is the database something you could share? Either by attaching it here or sending it to me directly? I realize it may not be; if not, I'll think about the best way to go from here.

Lorinda
martya
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject:

The only thing that I have really tried on Neooffice is that tutorial.

I do have an Appleworks file for recording our medical expenses. I could send you that if you think you could teach me to do the same on Neooffice. Sounds like a difficult task over the net.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1