Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Envelope Return Address Cut Off
Envelope Return Address Cut Off

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Envelope Return Address Cut Off

I am trying to print a #10 envelope on my Canon MP530 printer. The envelope was created by using Insert>Envelope. The preview looks exactly like I want the envelope to print. I have chosen #10 as the size of the envelope to be printed. However, when printed, the first seven characters (including spaces) of the return address are cut off.

Thanks for your help.

Silver
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject:

Any chance this is related to the minimum margins required by your printer?

You might try moving the return address over a bit and seeing if that still happens.

Lorinda
Silver
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda,

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes it cuts off the first part of the return address even if I move it to the right.

Here is an observation, although I don't know how to interpret it.

I have a similar file with an envelope, that I created three months ago, that prints fine. If I open that file and right-click on the envelope and then choose "page", in the Page Style:Default popup, the "paper tray" box is empty, although the drop down menu has options of "(from printer settings)" and "paper tray 1."

When I follow the same steps on the recently created envelope, the Page Style:Default screen has the same two options in the drop down menu, but I am unable to leave the "paper tray" box blank.

Does that provide a clue? It just confuses me.

Silver
JohnM
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm having a similar problem.

I'm on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5.5 and NeoOffice 2.2.5 patch 4. I also have a Canon MP600 multifunction unit. I've had a problem printing envelopes as long as I can remember.

I've inserted an envelope and specified #10 envelope. When I print, the printing is rotated 180° and the return address is cut off 8.5" from the leading edge.

I've save the envelope and opened it in OpenOffice 3 and the envelope prints correctly.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:

JohnM wrote:
I've save the envelope and opened it in OpenOffice 3 and the envelope prints correctly.

Can you please file a bug in BugZilla and attach that envelope document to the bug?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:

JohnM wrote:

Hmmm. I suspect that you are seeing a bug in OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 that was fixed in OpenOffice.org 3.0. NeoOffice 2.2.5 uses the older OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 code and we have found that that code can make envelope printing very difficult in some cases.

If it works in OpenOffice.org 3.0, then there is a good chance that our upcoming NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access release will have OpenOffice.org 3.0's fix.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject:

I agree with Patrick. However, if you attach the file to as new bug, then we'll be able to test to see if we can reproduce the bug in 2.2.5 and if it's been fixed in 3.0; therefore, filing a bug and attaching a sample document is still a good idea…
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I agree with Patrick. However, if you attach the file to as new bug, then we'll be able to test to see if we can reproduce the bug in 2.2.5 and if it's been fixed in 3.0; therefore, filing a bug and attaching a sample document is still a good idea…

Yes. I agree as well. Once we see the document in Bugzilla, we can test it in both NeoOffice 2.2.5 and our 3.0 Early Access development builds.

Patrick
JohnM
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject:

as requested, I have submitted a bug report to bubzilla, see # 3319.

thank you for your assistance. If you need more info, contact me.
JohnM
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:

I think I understand what is going on. The problem is with the Canon printer (MP600 multifunction unit).

First, Canon specifies envelopes are loaded on the right side of the printer with flaps to the left (towards the center). This orientation apparently flipped 180 from the usual. Then apparently, the printer driver rotates the usual printer envelope output 180 to match its envelope orientation.

OpenOffice 3 seems to compensate for the above by flipping its print output 180 to offset the printers flip. Confusing?

But NeoOffice 2.2.5 does not do the compensating therefore the envelope prints flipped on a Canon printer. more confusion.

Finally, for a #10 envelope, the printer cuts off the printing at 8.5" so that the return address is cut off. If Writer had done a compensating flip, then this cut off would be on the right side of the envelope held normally and usually not actually cutting off the recipient address.
I've tested and Canon does a similar cut for a #11 envelope at ~10.5 inches. but for a #9 envelope it still cuts off at 8.5"

At least now I know what is happening. NeoOffice 2 has a compatibility issue with Canon printers.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:

JohnM wrote:
At least now I know what is happening. NeoOffice 2 has a compatibility issue with Canon printers.

I think I need to add some clarification here: neither NeoOffice nor Preview or any Mac OS X application knows what kind of printer you have. In Mac OS X printing, there is only a one way flow of data using the following steps:

1. You set the paper size of your document and then try to print
2. In the native print dialog, you select the printer and any custom print driver settings and press either the Print or Preview button
3. The application then draws to a temporary PDF file that the Mac OS X print subsystem has created for the application
4. When drawing is done, the Mac OS X print subsystem hands the temporary PDF file and a list of the custom print driver settings that you set in step 2 to the print driver
5. The print driver then processes the temporary file

Printer specific information like "the flap goes on the right side" is not known by any Mac OS X application so what you are likely seeing is that NeoOffice guesses one way and OpenOffice.org guesses the other. In other words, NeoOffice always uses regular landscape for landscape documents and OpenOffice.org uses reverse landscape.

Does that make sense?

Patrick

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Printer specific information like "the flap goes on the right side" is not known by any Mac OS X application so what you are likely seeing is that NeoOffice guesses one way and OpenOffice.org guesses the other. In other words, NeoOffice always uses regular landscape for landscape documents and OpenOffice.org uses reverse landscape.

I opened OpenOffice.org 3.0 and found that my theory is correct: OpenOffice.org 3.0 is always printing in "reverse landscape" mode. This is not limited to envelopes as I can create a new document in Writer, set the document to landscape and when sending the print output to the Preview application or my printer, the output is rotated 270% from portrait whereas doing the same in NeoOffice it rotates 90% from portrait.

This explains why neither narf nor I can reproduce this bug: our printers don't require print output to be in "reverse landscape" mode. Maybe reverse landscape is a Windows standard? If so, that would explain why OpenOffice.org does it this way (they are largely a Windows-focussed organization) and NeoOffice adheres to Mac OS X's definition of landscape.

Patrick
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject:

Is it that, or is it that it is reversing the opposite direction (270 and 90 are opposites).

Just an old codger with a little time on his hands. Wink
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject:

shades wrote:
Is it that, or is it that it is reversing the opposite direction (270 and 90 are opposites).

I cannot speak for OpenOffice.org's code, but in the NeoOffice code we explicitly draw at 90 degrees rotation from portrait. The rotation direction is counterclockwise just like Apple's Mac OS X applications use.

Patrick
yakusha
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject:

hi,

I'm having a déjà vu. Wink
I'm experiencing the same thing but I'm using a HP Desktop 940C,
The first letter(character) of each line of the return address gets only partially printed. I just did a little test by feeding a sheet (A4) to print on, nope, there still is a part of the first letter that disappears in a black hole Laughing .
But taking in consideration the few paper letters I use, its is what is and I just take out a fine marker and perform the necessary corrective actions Smile
IMHO it has to be something whit the margins or how they are treated by applications. Same problem, different printers what's in common Confused
Its not a biggy for me.
It won't break the excellent application NeoOffice has become, for me.

greatz,

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2