Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - crashing bug in mail merge
crashing bug in mail merge

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: crashing bug in mail merge

When doing a mail merge (using the wizard) and choosing at the end of the process to save the merge as a single document, NeoOffice crashes when after choosing pdf as file saving format.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Can you obaint a crash log using the steps in the following NeoWiki article and then attach the crash log using the steps in this forum post?:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Bugzilla_Guide#Obtaining_a_crashlog_when_NeoOffice_crashes

Also, can you tell us approximately how many pages is the single document? I am curious if the problem is that NeoOffice is running out of memory during creation of a very large PDF file.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you obaint a crash log using the steps in the following NeoWiki article and then attach the crash log

See attach.
pluby wrote:
Also, can you tell us approximately how many pages is the single document? I am curious if the problem is that NeoOffice is running out of memory during creation of a very large PDF file.

If I save it as odt (which works perfect) it results in a 55 page document.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log. From the crash log, it appears that the crash is occurring in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. We normally don't fix OpenOffice.org bugs, but since this is a crashing bug and crashing bugs cause data loss, I will see if I can fix this bug.

Two questions for the NeoOffice support volunteers:

1. Can anyone else reproduce this crashing bug doing a mail merge with a new document and using NeoOffice's built-in bibliography database as the data source?

2. If anyone else reproduce this bug, does the bug also occur in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or only in NeoOffice?

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Thank you for the crash log. From the crash log, it appears that the crash is occurring in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. We normally don't fix OpenOffice.org bugs, but since this is a crashing bug and crashing bugs cause data loss, I will see if I can fix this bug.

Provided that there is an easy workaround (first save it in odt), this bug probably should not have the highest priority. And I did not yet test anything in OpenOffice 3.0.1 (I didn't install it yet), I've been quite busy on other things lately.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
Provided that there is an easy workaround (first save it in odt), this bug probably should not have the highest priority. And I did not yet test anything in OpenOffice 3.0.1 (I didn't install it yet), I've been quite busy on other things lately.

I am pretty sure that a few of the NeoOffice volunteers have OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 installed so hopefully they can try reproducing it in the next couple of days. I would normally try reproducing the bug myself, but I am temporarily away from my Mac OS X machine at the moment so I cannot run either OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or NeoOffice. Sad

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't get a crash from OOo 3.0.1 when I do a trial mail merge with the single file PDF formatted output. The PDF looks OK as well. This may be an ooo-build bug, or I may not be doing a complex enough merge.

I am using a blank document with a simple CSV list of four addresses. Perhaps that's not enough data to try and replicate this?

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I have created bug 3430 to track this issue.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I have created bug 3430 to track this issue.

Now that Ed has created a bug, can anyone attach a sample document that uses NeoOffice's built-in bibliography data source and crashes when doing a mail merge? We are going to need to be able to reproduce this bug before we can start to determine how to fix it.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject:

To clarify, what we really need is both the source document that is the "content" of the mail merge plus whatever databse/CVS/dBase/etc. file is the secondary list of addresses used to create the mail merge.

The simplistic 4 page/4 address test case I created may not be realistic enough to get the crash to occur in the OOo code.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject:

I was able to reproduce the crashing with a simple Writer document that uses the built-in Bibliography database and I think that I have fixed the bug. I have posted links to a test patch in my last post in bug 3430.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you install the test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?

Tested the Intel version and works for me. Thanks.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum