Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Live Bookmark Feed Fails to load
Live Bookmark Feed Fails to load

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Live Bookmark Feed Fails to load

I have the Trinity Forums RSS feed set up as a "live Bookmark" in Firefox 3.0. For several weeks, now, I have gotten a "Life Bookmark Failed to Load" message when I've tried to view a list of feed titles from the bookmark bar.

I've tried clearing my cache, reloading the feed, and deleting the Feed bookmark and recreating it, all to no avail.

I'm wondering if there is a problem on the trinity side, or if it's just my Firefox installation.

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I don't use FF myself. I just tried loading the Forums RSS in Safari 3.2.1 and it did pull out all the articles. I was using the RSS feed from the "Forums" link in the box. Are you using a different set of parameters to generate the feed?

It's also possible that Safari may be more tolerant of slightly malformed RSS formatting :/

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda, if you open the Error Console in Firefox (I think it's under the Tools menu) and then try to access the live bookmark, does it output anything?

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks for telling me about the error console, Smokey. I didn't know it existed!

When I try to reload the live bookmark, the following message shows up in the console:
Quote:

Error: not well-formed
Source File: https://trinity.neooffice.org/rdf-nuke.php?count=20&chars=500
Line: 97, Column: 72
Source Code:
<title>BUG:Err529 when formular refers to cells containing e.g. &qu</title>

I've been getting the feed from the little feed icon that shows up at the end of the url box in the browser bar.

I just tried the link in the blue box on trinity's site and I get the same error.

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject:

Yup, so it's FF being stricter with regards to the formatting of the RSS feed. I suspect once that topic with the bogus subject dies off your feed will come back to life. I'll look around and see if I can find why FF things that line is bad; I suspect it's the "&qu" getting in there as it may think that's the start of an entity.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I'll look around and see if I can find why FF things that line is bad; I suspect it's the "&qu" getting in there as it may think that's the start of an entity.

Yeah, the XML parser is barfing (try loading the feed URL itself in an XML parser or a browser that supports XML); see also Feed Validator.

The underlying problem is really phpBB; it truncates long subjects, but here but is doing so unintelligently.

E.g., the original subject was probably something like
Quote:
BUG:Err529 when formular refers to cells containing e.g. "-" or "/"

phpBB then expanded the user-entered " into &quot; for storage in the db,
Quote:
BUG:Err529 when formular refers to cells containing e.g. &quot;-&quot; or &quot;/&quot;

Finally, phpBB truncated the subject at the limit of characters it has,
Quote:
BUG:Err529 when formular refers to cells containing e.g. &qu

Instead of barfing itself (or fixing the mistake), phpBB displays the raw characters and passes them on to other things, like the feed, with that stray & raw, not as the &amp; entity, which makes XML parsers think it's some sort of broken entity (which it in fact was, part of a &quot; originally).

I'm going to edit that out of the topic title so that the feed is working again, since it's pretty easy to re-create the problem when you want to test any code fixes Ed/Patrick/Fran might have.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

That's fixed it for me. Thanks!

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Wow, excellent catch!

Yeah our RSS feed is generated by some custom PHP that isn't part of stock phpbb. We'll need to fix it to make sure we don't chop out entities in the middle of their strings. Glad to know what the issue is. I bet that probably it might also chop in the middle of entities that are also aligned just at the end of content as well.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1