· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - SLOW!!
SLOW!!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject:

does the loading of font previews in the font menu affect speed of opening windows at all? try disabling font previews under preferences:view:font lists:then uncheck show previews of fonts.
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
pieggi wrote:
Therefore my guess is that there's some memory leak or the GC in OOo doesn't work well: if I open a document, work on it for an hour or so and close Neo the suite is reasonably fast (considering the processing power I have).

The amount of CPU usage that you are seeing usually indicates that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is continually relaying out and redrawing your documents.

Do you have any input form controls in your document? I ask because with OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, I have seen several cases where these form controls are continually redrawn.

Patrick

well, I'm not sure if it's a input control, but if I write 27 March 2009 sometimes I have it converted to 27/03/09 (EU date format). But I guess isn't a input control.

The downloaded file I edited is this one (look for english OOo document).

Anyway, as I imagined, a reboot fixed the issue. Now working on the same two documents since ~8hrs again and no significant slowdown.
siri
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: SLOW

I will try the tips and advice all the respondents in this group have given because I have been experiencing same problem: using Writer is so slow I find it sometimes takes several seconds for the next letter to appear!

As an ordinary user - no "technie" - I did not know where to start.

So first of all, thanks.
thboyd
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

The amount of CPU usage that you are seeing usually indicates that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is continually relaying out and redrawing your documents.

Patrick

Is there an recent update to this. I'm working on a 250 page document with about 200 linked images. Scrolling is extremely slow. The cpu usage in Activity Monitor hovers around 100% for as long as several minutes if I scroll through a few pages that have images. And for the entire several minutes NeoOffice is unusable.

Tom

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject:

thboyd wrote:
Is there an recent update to this. I'm working on a 250 page document with about 200 linked images. Scrolling is extremely slow. The cpu usage in Activity Monitor hovers around 100% for as long as several minutes if I scroll through a few pages that have images. And for the entire several minutes NeoOffice is unusable.

What is likely happening is each of those 200 images must be opened so that NeoOffice can determine each image's size in order to layout your entire document. If any scaling of images is happening, the problem will be even worse.

While some high-end publishing tools can handle this number of images, you are working well past the limits of NeoOffice's capabilities and maybe even Microsoft Word's as well.

There is one workaround that you can do that may bring your document within the limits of NeoOffice's capabilities: create a master document (use the File :: New :: Master Document menu) and move your existing document content into the new master document as several chapters of a few pages each. Master documents mimic the way that high-end publishing handle lengthy documents.

By breaking your document into several chapters, the master document will store each chapter in a separate .odt file that is only loaded when you move the cursor to a specific chapter. This reduces the number of images loaded and the CPU required to layout a chapter as the entire document does not need to be loaded and laid out to view a single page.

Using a master document will also speed up saving as only those chapters that have been edited need to be saved and the unchanged chapters can be skipped by the saving process.

Patrick
thboyd
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for you quick reply. I suspected that something like that was happening. I also know that word can't handle this either (well, Word can't really handle images at all).

I tried to use a master document, but had problems with consistency of pagination and object placement between the sub-documents (is that the correct term) and the master document. I would adjust the position and size of the images in the subdocument but when viewed in the master document there was often a one line difference in pagination -- the page break would occur one line sooner in the master document than in the subdocument. This would accumulate over the document making it difficult to control the layout. The master document and the subdocuments were all using the same styles and all formatting was controlled by styles. To insure that all documents used the same style in the subdocuments, I would always copy the styles from the master document. I would much prefer to use a master document. Any suggestions on what I could do to make this work better?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject:

thboyd wrote:
I tried to use a master document, but had problems with consistency of pagination and object placement between the sub-documents (is that the correct term) and the master document. I would adjust the position and size of the images in the subdocument but when viewed in the master document there was often a one line difference in pagination -- the page break would occur one line sooner in the master document than in the subdocument. This would accumulate over the document making it difficult to control the layout. The master document and the subdocuments were all using the same styles and all formatting was controlled by styles. To insure that all documents used the same style in the subdocuments, I would always copy the styles from the master document. I would much prefer to use a master document. Any suggestions on what I could do to make this work better?

I would need to see a simple example of what you are seeing to figure out what can be done. Like you, my guess is that the master document is adding some extra layout steps on top of those that are in the chapter's .odt file.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to ask you if you can attach a sample .odm and .odt file that I can use to reproduce the page breaking problem that you describe.

If you are having trouble creating a sample that you can attach, does selecting the Tools :: Update :: Update All menu correct the problem for the chapter that you have the cursor in?

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject:

thboyd wrote:

In addition to other advice proferred, my favoured approach in this situation would be to un-check "Display Graphics & Objects" in Writer's View Preferences. This has proven very effective in overcoming the scrolling issue in documents with multiple images on our less youthful PowerPCs.

thboyd
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
In addition to other advice proferred, my favoured approach in this situation would be to un-check "Display Graphics & Objects" in Writer's View Preferences. This has proven very effective in overcoming the scrolling issue in documents with multiple images on our less youthful PowerPCs.

This works, but I afraid that it inhibits updating of the pagination. For example, if I edit the size of an image on page 1 and that changes the pagination, if I then jump to page 100 with the show graphics inhibited, will NeoOffice repaginate the document, so that page 100 is updated?

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject:

thboyd wrote:
This works, but I afraid that it inhibits updating of the pagination. For example, if I edit the size of an image on page 1 and that changes the pagination, if I then jump to page 100 with the show graphics inhibited, will NeoOffice repaginate the document, so that page 100 is updated?

I don't see why not. NeoOffice is only being asked to stop displaying the images. With the exception of the one you play with, the other images "frames size" will be unaltered.

Why don't you try your test for yourself and share the result with the rest of us here?

thboyd
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject:

Yes, it does seem to work. I a new to NeoOffice and when I first tried this several months ago it didn't seem to repaginate correctly, but perhaps there was something else that I was doing wrong. Anyway, I'm more familiar with NeoOffice now and this does seem to solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am still going to try the master document again, also. I think that that would work even better for me, but there are some things for me to learn such as cross references between subdocuments and I'm having trouble getting the page numbering to work right. I'll get back to you after I've done some more experimenting.

Thanks for your help.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:

thboyd wrote:
I am still going to try the master document again, also. I think that that would work even better for me, but there are some things for me to learn such as cross references between subdocuments and I'm having trouble getting the page numbering to work right. I'll get back to you after I've done some more experimenting.

It is good to hear that rays' approach provides some immediate improvement.

I am still interested in what problem is occurring with master documents so if and when you encounter it, see if you can reproduce it in a scaled down .odm and .odt file. If so and you can attach both, I will investigate.

Patrick
thboyd
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:

I've been trying all morning to reproduce the problem, but have been unable to. All I can think of is that I was a new user when I tried it before and must have done something else wrong.

One problem that I am having with the master document is getting the first page of the first subdocument to have the right page number without a blank page before it. I've managed a workaround, I think. My subdocuments are created with the first page as a "first page" style, which is a right page only and then a succession of left page and right page styles. When these are brought into a master document, they always start on a new page (which I did not expect). This means that pagination is correct without inserting text sections with manual page breaks as the documentation says I should do.

My work around for the first page is to put that section in the master document instead of a subdocument. It's a one page foreword only, so it's no problem.

Anyway, I now seem to have two solutions. I plan to continue with the master document approach, so if my pagination problem occurs again, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for your help

thboyd
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Well, I converted my document to a Master document and I seem to have a similar problem. Now it seems that if I modify a subdocument in even a trivial way (correct a cross reference, for example) the master document takes minutes (5 -10 minutes or more) to update and sometimes an image will be moved to the next page and sometimes a blank page is inserted before the image. Activity monitor during the update varies between about 1 or 2% cpu to about 25 or 30%, rarely maxes out. It seems that I can usually fix this by updating the subdocument that has the problem, even though it was already updated.

I'm running 10.6.2 on a 2.4 GHz intel iMac with 4 Gbytes of memory. Memory usage is small (no swap file activity at all). I have 12 subdocments ranging in size from about 5 pages with one image to about 30 pages with about 40 images.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3