· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3.0 Upgrade Issues
NeoOffice 3.0 Upgrade Issues

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice 3.0 Upgrade Issues

Now that NeoOffice 3.0 has been out for a few days and more than a few users are using it, there have been many posts in the NeoOffice Support forum that initially appear to be bugs but, instead, are found to be feature changes made by either Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers or Novell's Go-oo engineers.

Since many of these feature changes will very likely continue to generate support questions, I thought it would be a good idea to create the following new article in the NeoWiki to list the feature changes that we find:

https://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_3.0_Upgrade_Issues

I need to add the several Calc formula changes that have been found. Once that is done, I was planning on putting a link to the article next to the NeoOffice 3.0 download link on the main website.

Please feel free to edit the page as right now it is only a rough draft.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Ed and I were talking this evening and we felt that we really needed to give NeoOffice 2.2.5 users fair warning that there are some very big feature changes in NeoOffice so I added the folloing on the download pages. Can anyone translation this text? If so, I would be very thankful and I will post your translations posthaste:

Quote:
Warning: NeoOffice 3.0 contains many feature changes that cause NeoOffice 3.0 to behave very differently from NeoOffice 2.2.5. These feature changes are due to feature changes in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code and cannot be removed. So if you rely on NeoOffice 2.2.5 for critical work, we recommend that you continue to use NeoOffice 2.2.5 until you have had the opporunity to fully evaluate all of the feature changes in NeoOffice 3.0. You can download NeoOffice 2.2.5 from the NeoOffice 2.2.5 download page.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject:

into Dutch:

Quote:
Let op: NeoOffice 3.0 bevat een groot aantal wijzigingen die er voor zorgen dat NeoOffice 3.0 anders werkt dan NeoOffice 2.2.5. Deze wijzingen zijn het gevolg van wijzigingen in de onderliggende OpenOffice.org programmacode en wij kunnen deze niet ongedaan maken. Indien u NeoOffice 2.2.5 voor kritieke werkzaamheden gebruikt raden wij u aan om NeoOffice 2.2.5 te blijven gebruiken totdat u de mogelijkheid hebt gehad om alle wijzigingen in NeoOffice 3.0 te evalueren. U kunt NeoOffice 2.2.5 ophalen van de NeoOffice 2.2.5 download pagina.

I think the way you phrased it is overkill, as most of NeoOffice is pretty much the same. Then again, that is how warnings are done in California, IIRC.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject:

Oscar,

FYI. I have posted your translations on the website.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I think the way you phrased it is overkill, as most of NeoOffice is pretty much the same. Then again, that is how warnings are done in California, IIRC.

Well, it's not so much California, but more reality...

A lot of people have been noticing functional differences, especially in Calc, the kind that mean they need to go through and revise formulas in their spreadsheets. These kinds of things are here to stay, so Patrick and I were trying to find a way to let people know these kinds of issues exist. In the end, the big picture is that for the last few years we've not really done any of the minor or major overhauls as at OOo.

Moving to 3.0, however, needs to be thought of in the same way as upgrading to the next release of Microsoft Office...while most things work OK, some things inevitably are broken (c.f. VBA support, file import quirks in Office 2008). And, like Office, a lot of these changes that were made in OOo 3.0.1 and by go-oo are intentional changes as the program evolves. We thought it was important to let people know that these changes are permanent and that we can't remove them without breaking compatibility with the 3.x series of products and revised OpenDocument file formats. With a warning, people who really need things for day to day work should at least be aware there is a possibility things that are critical for them may not work with the next version. In addition to 10.3 support, this is another reason we have broken with our traditional practices and continue to make Neo 2.2.5 available.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject:

I get that, but the way it is written makes it sound like a lot of features have become incompatible. And NeoOffice 2->3 certainly isn't a big jump like Office 2004-2007. It just sounds more panicky than I feel it needs to be.

But enough of that. I was wondering if one of you could have a look at our Wikipedia article. I updated it some more, but it could probably do with some love from the experts.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I get that, but the way it is written makes it sound like a lot of features have become incompatible. And NeoOffice 2->3 certainly isn't a big jump like Office 2004-2007. It just sounds more panicky than I feel it needs to be.

Do you have any suggested changes? What we are trying to address is the small but significant percentage of our users who panic when they install NeoOffice 3.0 and find that it is not identical in features and stability to NeoOffice 2.2.5.

Many users have only experienced the NeoOffice 2.2.4 and/or 2.2.5 and are shocked and confused when anything is different, so. the text that is there now is written to grab people's attention as I have found that most people (myself included) only lightly skim our pages.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject:

My take would be more like this Smile.

Quote:
Warning: Some features from NeoOffice 2.2.5 behave differently in NeoOffice 3.0. These feature changes are due to feature changes in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code and cannot be undone. So if you rely on NeoOffice 2.2.5 for critical work, we recommend that you take some the time to get accustomed to NeoOffice 3.0.

If you find the changes do not suit you, you can download NeoOffice 2.2.5 from the NeoOffice 2.2.5 download page.

But that is just an opinion..

-Oz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject:

OK. How about something in the middle like this:

Quote:
Warning: Some of the features in NeoOffice 2.2.5 have changed and behave differently in NeoOffice 3.0. These feature changes are due to feature changes in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code and cannot be undone. So if you rely on NeoOffice 2.2.5 for critical work, we recommend that you take some the time to get accustomed to NeoOffice 3.0 before using it for critical work. NeoOffice 2.2.5 is still supported and you can download it from the NeoOffice 2.2.5 download page.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:

Sounds much more relaxed. You want a translation for that?

-Oz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Sounds much more relaxed. You want a translation for that?

Sure. Once I have your translation, I post it and post the text in my last post to the other languages.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject:

This should cover it.

Quote:
Let op: Sommige functies van NeoOffice 2.2.5 zijn veranderd in NeoOffice 3.0. Deze veranderingen in functies zijn het gevolg van wijzigingen in de onderliggende OpenOffice.org programmacode en wij kunnen deze niet ongedaan maken. Dus als u voor uw esentiële werkzaamheden vertrouwt op NeoOffice 2.2.5, raden wij u aan om de tijd te nemen om met NeoOffice 3.0 vertrouwd te raken voordat u het voor essentiële werkzaamheden gaat gebruiken. Wij ondersteunen NeoOffice 2.2.5 nog steeds en die kunt u ophalen van de NeoOffice 2.2.5 download pagina.

best wishes,
Oscar

narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Oscar -

I have posted your latest translation on the website, along with Patrick's new English text.

Let me know if you see any errors in the Dutch translation.

--fran
hi_RAM
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject:

in French

Quote:
Attention : Certaines des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.2.5 ont changé et se comportent différemment dans NeoOffice 3.0. Ces profonds changements sont dus à des modifications dans le code sous-jacent d'OpenOffice.org que nous ne ne pouvons modifier. Si vous travaillez avec NeoOffice 2.2.5 nous vous recommandons de prendre le temps de vous familiariser avec NeoOffice 3.0. avant de l'utiliser pour un travail important. NeoOffice 2.2.5 est toujours supporté et vous pouvez le télécharger à partir de la page de téléchargement de NeoOffice 2.2.5.

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject:

hi_RAM,

Thank you for your translation. I have posted your translation on the website. Please note that I made one small change: I changed "nous ne ne pouvons" to "nous ne pouvons" as I assumed that the "ne ne" was a typo. Please let me know if my assumption was incorrect.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2