· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - iBook Power Adapter Replacement Advice
iBook Power Adapter Replacement Advice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: iBook Power Adapter Replacement Advice

Ok, so I need a new power adapter for my ibook. Apple sells it, but the reviews online are AWFUL, several even meantion fires.

yes fires.

so i looked at some third party and those reviews aren't so great either.

anyone had to replace their power adapter? if so, what did you get?

-j, keeping the 'random' alive
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I got one from Apple for my old tibook a couple of months ago, no fires so far - but then the UK power supply has the 'cool britannia' stiff upper lip factor Smile
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject:

My 2 cents: a new iBook power adapter from Apple isn't that much more likely to catch fire than the one that came with your iBook originally; so if you trusted your old adapter, I don't see any reason other than price to get an adapter from a third party…
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I've replaced mine via Apple care for overheating twice. So I've always had the Apple variety.

No fires, and I think the second time I jumped the gun. I had it set up on the bar between my inlaws kitchen and their family room, it got hot and I smelled smoke. After the replacement was all taken care of, I realized the smoke may have been coming from the stove and not my iBook. Embarassed

Lorinda
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Out of 20-30 friends with PowerBook/iBooks and with spares totals at least 40 Apple power adapters I have first hand knowledge of, ZERO fires.

Get the proper equipment from Apple.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had any fires myself, but I have found that if you treat them roughly the cable becomes loose and the LED can start failing to light.

One of my friends did get one of the cheaper third party ones but complains that the connector is c**p and doesn't have a snug fit and keeps falling out or losing contact. It was pretty much the cheapest one that came up on google searches, so you may want to avoid those Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I still think the older UFOs are the most solid I've used, but I have TiBooks...I'm not sure if those UFOs are rated to handle an iBook. I've been using one from a clamshell iBook with an adapter, and that thing has had no cable problems whatsoever Smile

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject:

i have a UFO at work. and two old G3 wallstreets. heavy as a freakin' truck and the apple symbol was upside down but they were great laptops.

if only i had the one with the firewire.

ok, so you guys talked me into the apple-tax. the laptop (the ibook, not the wallstreet) is going to be fixed up for a gift anyway, so probably for the best.

oh, with neo, naturally. that relates back to this forum. see? i be smarts.

-j
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1