Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Here's a script for running patches
Here's a script for running patches

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Here's a script for running patches

Hello there

**update**
as of now, Patrick is making patches for alpha 2 and up with their own installers, so no-one needs to bother reading my post any more!

- yoxi
**/update**

I'm no programmer, so I can't help with this project directly, but I thought I'd add this as a resource - it's a lazy bash script I wrote that'll run a patch file on the copy of NeoOffice/J of your choice. You just download the patch file, and then double-click the patchNOJ.command file and follow the instructions. (Just involves dragging the NOJ app's folder, and then the patch file, onto the terminal window - what could be lazier?) Wink

It's quick'n'dirty, but saves a bit of time when there's new patches flying through the door...

Pick it up at http://www.yoxi.net/aragh/patchNOJ.sit, and happy patchwork. (When I'm less tired I'll add some error catching code to it!)

- yoxi

Last edited by yoxi on Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for putting together an alternate script.

FYI, the reason the commands on my website are so verbose is to cover all the various combinations of terminal character encodings (not everyone uses the default UTF-8 encoding) and shells (Jaguar users or users that upgraded from Jaguar have tcsh as their default shell). The commands used to be simpler but we found a few corner cases where things got messed up. Sad

Actually, your alternate script makes me think that maybe I should "bite the bullet" and spend a few hours to put patches in a Mac OS X installer. After all, there is not that the installer would need to do and I already have the makefile rules to build a Mac OS X installer.

Of course, I don't think that I will do that until after I put out "Alpha 2" in the next week or so.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback, Patrick. Actually, it's been so long since I've known anyone using Jaguar that it never occurred to me to check whether my script works pre Panther.

It'd be useful for me (in my shell autodidact mode) to know what in my script might not work with non-panther or non-utf8 implementations - I assumed that everyone's OSX has bash in it somewhere, even if it's not their default shell, but what are the other issues?

No need to rush replying, I'm just interested to learn, and you're obviously very busy. I look forward to alpha 2...

And yes, patch installer packages would be nice too!

- yoxi
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject:

Hello there

There's a new version of the script up there now at http://www.yoxi.net/aragh/patchNOJ.sit.

This version (as well as being clearer and tidier!) has some error checking to make sure the path you choose for the NeoOfficeJ app is a valid one (at least this means that the script will work fine if it can recognise all the characters in your chosen path, my padawan...)

I've also added your 'downloads' url to the readme in case the script doesn't work for people - so they'll know where to look for instructions on patch installing by hand if my script fails them.

- yoxi
pinolo
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject:

I have just created a test Patch 6 installer.
You can grab it here (consider it unofficial, not "pluby-approved", so use it a your own risk).
http://www.cinemah.com/altri/ooo/PatchNO_J.pkg.zip

At the following URL Pluby may download the Installer template.
http://www.cinemah.com/altri/ooo/InstallerTemplate.zip
You will have to change the paths for Files and Resources and you have to fill in text for Welcome.rtf and ReadMe.rtf

The installer allows to choose the folder where NO/J is (default: /Applications) and has a tiny script to check if the app is really there. If not, the installer exit with an error message.
pinolo
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject:

No answers.
Just to let me know if anyone liked this thing... a simple "no, thanks" is okay, too
Smile

I think that installers would make life a lot easier for any type of NO/J user.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject:

pinolo wrote:
No answers.
Just to let me know if anyone liked this thing... a simple "no, thanks" is okay, too
Smile

Sorry, I got sidelined with getting Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 out.

Since Ed is busily making progress on native menus and Fridrich has submitted his WordPerfect filter patch to me, it is almost certain that I will issue a "patch-1" for 1.1 Alpha 2 in the next few weeks.

I am planning on making all patches for 1.1 Alpha 2 released as *.dmg files with a *.pkg file. I like your approach although I will probably need to enhance the checking of the version of a user's Neo/J installation so that users with 1.1 Alpha 1 plus "patch-10" are allowed to install any 1.1 Alpha 2 patch.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject:

pinolo wrote:
No answers.
Just to let me know if anyone liked this thing... a simple "no, thanks" is okay, too Smile

Sorry, Pinolo, for not giving feedback. I didn't use the installers because I already had Yoxi's script, which worked fine and Patch 6 was out of date by the time I could grad a copy of your file and install it. But Patrick seems happy Smile.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject:

pinolo wrote:
No answers.
Smile

Good work to be doing. Pinolo - self-installers would be a bonnie thing - but I didn't know what to do with this, because by the time I looked at it we were on patch somethingorother, and I don't savvy installer package editing.

The only reason I wrote my script, by the way, was because the patches were coming thick and fast when I first discovered Neo/J, I wanted a way to avoid typing in several long lines of terminal every time (I'm lazy) and I fancied writing something in bash because I've been learning it. It's no work of art (though earlier downloaders might be pleased to know that the 'padawan' reference has now been eradicated - blush...) If what you've done leads to one-click patch installation, my head is at your feet, matey!

- yoxi
pinolo
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I am planning on making all patches for 1.1 Alpha 2 released as *.dmg files with a *.pkg file. I like your approach although I will probably need to enhance the checking of the version of a user's Neo/J installation so that users with 1.1 Alpha 1 plus "patch-10" are allowed to install any 1.1 Alpha 2 patch

Cool!
Thanks to all for the feedback.
Patrick I think version checking was not present installing raw patches (in fact, while I was tinkering with the installer template I did wreck a NO/J installation by applying a 0.8 patch to 1.1 Alpha -g-).
So, if this is something that could take too much time, why bother?

Yoxi, FWIW, I liked the padawan line...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject:

pinolo wrote:
So, if this is something that could take too much time, why bother?

It won't take much time. All of the Neo/J version and patch information is easily parsed from the /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/bootstraprc file.

I just haven't got around to working on a patch because I figure I can't put a 1.1 Alpha 2 patch out until Ed and I get the native menus stable. It's no use putting out unstable code. Everyone finds plenty of bugs when I put out (what I think is) stable code. Wink

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1