Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - INSTALLATION: FONDU will not install.
INSTALLATION: FONDU will not install.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: INSTALLATION: FONDU will not install.

Hi,

I am doing an initial install of OO (v1.0b9) on Mac OSX 10.3.5. I can install (and execute) Open Office, however, I am unable to install FONDU. It fails during initial installation, but does not give an informative message as to the cause. The message displayed indicates that FONDU failed to install and I need to re-run the OO Installer to get FONDU installed correctly.

When I run Open Office, I notice that some of the Menu items appear slightly red in color and are almost unreadable. I know FONDU is used to convert Mac fonts to UNIX. Are these two issues related?

I would appreciate any help on these two issues.

Thanks,
Kevin
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject:

Hi Kevin,

Quote:
When I run Open Office, I notice that some of the Menu items appear slightly red in color and are almost unreadable. I know FONDU is used to convert Mac fonts to UNIX. Are these two issues related?

The display problem sounds like the infamous sparkly fonts. It is caused by colour mismatch between the X11 and Mac displays. You need to set both to millions of colours - displays prefpane for the Mac side, and the Output tab of the X11 prefs dialog.

If this works, the Fondu problem is a separate issue. Did you get any error messages, other than "can't install"? If you open the Console utlility (in Applications/Utility) and search (Cmnd-F) the Console and System logs for 'fondu' and 'OpenOffice', there may be some more information recorded there.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Note that the current version of OOo for Mac OS X is 1.1.2
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

File name is ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2

It may be that the version of fondu included in the ca. 2 years old build does not work with 10.3.x (there have been several revisions of fondu in the past two years http://fondu.sourceforge.net).

Smokey
kevin
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Hi Kevin,

The display problem sounds like the infamous sparkly fonts. It is caused by colour mismatch between the X11 and Mac displays. You need to set both to millions of colours - displays prefpane for the Mac side, and the Output tab of the X11 prefs dialog.

If this works, the Fondu problem is a separate issue. Did you get any error messages, other than "can't install"? If you open the Console utlility (in Applications/Utility) and search (Cmnd-F) the Console and System logs for 'fondu' and 'OpenOffice', there may be some more information recorded there.

Hi Luke,

You were right on about the color depth mismatch and that resolved that problem. I check the console and system logs for message regarding the installation error. The only related messages are -
Oct 3 18:53:40 longhorn authexec: executing /Volumes/OOo 1.1.2 X11/MacOSX/Install_OpenOffice.org1.1.2.app/Contents/Resources/Install_OpenOffice.org1.1.2.app/Contents/MacOS/Install_OpenOffice.org1.1.2

2004-10-03 18:53:40.637 Install_OpenOffice.org1.1.2[11451] osError = 0

Kevin
kevin
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Note that the current version of OOo for Mac OS X is 1.1.2
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

File name is ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2

It may be that the version of fondu included in the ca. 2 years old build does not work with 10.3.x (there have been several revisions of fondu in the past two years http://fondu.sourceforge.net).

Smokey

Hi Smokey,

I was incorrect in my original post, I did install version 1.12. I will check out the link you indicated and see if here is an update.

Thanks,
Kevin
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the version of fondu that's included with the installer is definitely not the most up to date version of fondu. It did install on earlier 10.3 releases, but I haven't personally tried the fondu install on 10.3.5.

If you need a workaround, you may want to download the latest fondu from the sourceforge site and install it prior to running the OOo installer. If fondu doesn't install, I belive the OOo installer should still run after displaying the error message. It will not, however, perform the font conversion step if fondu is not installed properly. OOo itself should still be installed, but all fonts will need to be converted manually.

ed
kevin
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Yes, the version of fondu that's included with the installer is definitely not the most up to date version of fondu. It did install on earlier 10.3 releases, but I haven't personally tried the fondu install on 10.3.5.

If you need a workaround, you may want to download the latest fondu from the sourceforge site and install it prior to running the OOo installer. If fondu doesn't install, I belive the OOo installer should still run after displaying the error message. It will not, however, perform the font conversion step if fondu is not installed properly. OOo itself should still be installed, but all fonts will need to be converted manually.

ed

I installed the lastest version of fondu, from sourceforge, and the OO installer no longer attempts to install fondu.

Thanks,
Kevin
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I had fondu-040324 and OOo 112 installed.
I then installed fondu-040925.

1. Did the newer version of fondu overwrite the older version?
2. Does it make any difference to the functioning of OOo and StartOOo?
3. If so,
a. how do I test it?
b. what do I do?

Thanx
Al

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject:

amaloney wrote:
I had fondu-040324 and OOo 112 installed.
I then installed fondu-040925.

1. Did the newer version of fondu overwrite the older version?
2. Does it make any difference to the functioning of OOo and StartOOo?
3. If so,
a. how do I test it?
b. what do I do?

Thanx
Al

1. Yes (/usr/local/bin/fondu)

2. Only if there were fonts that fondu could not convert on OOo-install or when dropping them on StartOOo.

(In my case, it took two different versions of fondu to convert all of my (OS X and Classic) fonts; the 040324 version failed on some Mac OS X fonts like Arial and others among the Classic fonts, iirc, and previous version handled those but skipped others. Some of the fonts I quickly noticed were missing when using OOo, others only once I started comparing /Applications/OOo112/share/fonts/truetype with /Library/Fonts, /System/Library/Fonts, and ~/Library/Fonts)

3. Easiest way is to drag a font onto StartOOo; if you use Classic and have fonts there and haven't manually converted them in the past (the OOo installer does not do that), you have a ready supply of fonts-to-be-converted.

Smokey
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Smokey

It works.

I presume I can Trash all those .bdf files.
What are they for anyway?

Cheers!
Al

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject:

amaloney wrote:
I presume I can Trash all those .bdf files.
What are they for anyway?

Yep. Those I think are the screen bitmaps for X11 systems that don't have TrueType rasterizers. I think Start OpenOffice.org deletes them automatically when it invokes fondu.

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1