· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice 3.1 and NeoOffice performance
OpenOffice 3.1 and NeoOffice performance

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: OpenOffice 3.1 and NeoOffice performance

Since Sun Microsystems released OpenOffice.org 3.1 last week, narf updated the NeoOffice Performance Comparison to show the OpenOffice.org 3.1 performance numbers.

Although it is no surprise to me that both NeoOffice 2.2.5 and 3.0 are as fast as or faster than OpenOffice 3.1, what surprised me is the significant OpenOffice.org 3.1 speed degradation in the following areas:

1. Launching and file opening - Cold start times and file opening in OpenOffice.org 3.1 on Intel machines are in some cases 50% slower than OpenOffice.org 3.0.1

2. Slide show speed - OpenOffice.org 3.1 on both Intel and PowerPC machines is 20% to 30% slower than OpenOffice.org 3.0.1

Is anyone else seeing the same degradations in speed that we are? Also, are there any areas that we are not including where OpenOffice.org 3.1 has shown significant speed improvements?

I am very interested in any performance degradations because if OpenOffice.org 3.1 is significantly slower than OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 in a lot of areas, then we may want to seriously evaluate waiting until OpenOffice.org 3.2 before we do another Early Access release.

Thoughts?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Thu May 14, 2009 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:

For OO.org 3.1 with new document from cold start:

1. to splash selection screen 10 seconds
2. To actual document 20 seconds (total time)

Warm start 3.1

1. to splash selection screen 3 seconds
2. To actual document 8 seconds (total time)

----------------

For NO 3.0 with new document from cold start:

1. to actual document 16 seconds

Warm start NO 3.0

1. To actual document: 6 seconds

----------------

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Penryn, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.5.7

For me, this is not significant. But the implications may be greater with an actual file, not new documents).
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: OO 3.1 fast on Macbook Intel

Hmm...
I don't match these results.
I have a 2.2 Mhz Macbook Dec 2007 with 4G memory

OO 3.1
- loads in 4.5 s to chooser screen
- loads calc spreadsheet with 600+cells of numbers and macros in 12s including opening OO and clicking macro enabler.

Neo 3.01 latest patch
- loads in 8 secs to empty word document
- loads calc spreadsheet in 13 cold, including opening Neo and clicking macro enabler

So things are about the same for me.

I have to say that with your latest patches OO 3.1 seems quicker than Neo on screen. I only use Neo normally so I don't know about OO stability.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OO 3.1 fast on Macbook Intel

Markk wrote:
OO 3.1

Where I noticed the big degradation in speed was after clicking the Writer icon in the Start Center. How long does it take from application startup to loading an empty Writer document in OpenOffice.org 3.1?

--fran
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OO 3.1 fast on Macbook Intel

narf wrote:

Where I noticed the big degradation in speed was after clicking the Writer icon in the Start Center. How long does it take from application startup to loading an empty Writer document in OpenOffice.org 3.1?

--fran

About 4 or 5 seconds more. Basically popped up. I wonder if OO likes plenty of memory? I only had Safari and Neo open in the background and nothing really chewing up the memory when I started this stuff.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OO 3.1 fast on Macbook Intel

Markk wrote:
About 4 or 5 seconds more. Basically popped up. I wonder if OO likes plenty of memory? I only had Safari and Neo open in the background and nothing really chewing up the memory when I started this stuff.

For an application the size of NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org, less than 10 seconds from launch to the Writer window appearing is actually pretty good.

What I was most worried about is that OpenOffice.org 3.1 startup times appeared to be noticeably slower than OpenOffice.org 3.0.1. Since NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice.org, I wanted to see if this degradation is real or not because if it is real, we will need to spend development times to gain that lost speed back if we upgrade NeoOffice to use the OpenOfice.org 3.1 code.

Patrick
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OO 3.1 fast on Macbook Intel

Markk wrote:
Hmm...
I don't match these results.
I have a 2.2 Mhz Macbook Dec 2007 with 4G memory

OO 3.1
- loads calc spreadsheet with 600+cells of numbers and macros in 12s including opening OO and clicking macro enabler.

Neo 3.01 latest patch
- loads in 8 secs to empty word document
- loads calc spreadsheet in 13 cold, including opening Neo and clicking macro enabler

So things are about the same for me.

I have to say that with your latest patches OO 3.1 seems quicker than Neo on screen. I only use Neo normally so I don't know about OO stability.

It seems as if your times are warm start, meaning that you had opened OO and NO during the current time that the computer was not shut down or restarted, because they match my warm start speeds.
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: 3.1 Spreadsheet way faster sometimes

I have been playing with 3.1 with some spreadsheets I have, and I have noticed that it is way way faster with some complex spreadsheets. I mean 5x as fast as either Neo 3 or OO 3.0 when doing some complex interrelated calculations. I'll look into what's happening, but they must have done something. Just a data point.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 3.1 Spreadsheet way faster sometimes

Markk wrote:
I have been playing with 3.1 with some spreadsheets I have, and I have noticed that it is way way faster with some complex spreadsheets. I mean 5x as fast as either Neo 3 or OO 3.0 when doing some complex interrelated calculations. I'll look into what's happening, but they must have done something. Just a data point.

One of the changes in OpenOffice.org 3.1 is improved spreadsheet performance for spreadsheets that require a lot of calculations. I am looking if it is feasiable to backport their Calc changes to NeoOffice 3.0. If you have a sample spreadsheet that demonstrates the speed improvements, can you attach it to this forum topic? It would be very helpful in my efforts to try and backport their code.

Patrick
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Well on Mem Day vacation shortly.

Will try to get something after next week spreadsheet wise. They had a lot of lookups and linked areas.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Markk wrote:
Will try to get something after next week spreadsheet wise. They had a lot of lookups and linked areas.

FYI. I may not need any sample files as I have merged the OpenOffice.org 3.1 Calc speed improvments into NeoOffice 3.0 and posted a test patch in this forum topic that you can try.

Is recalculation speed in NeoOffice 3.0 roughly the same as OpenOffice.org 3.1 after installing the test patch?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Is recalculation speed in NeoOffice 3.0 roughly the same as OpenOffice.org 3.1 after installing the test patch?

Has anyone tried the test patch yet? Before I release the official patch next week with this changes, I would really like to have some to have someone verify that the OpenOffice.org 3.1 code that I backported actually does increase performance.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Has anyone tried the test patch yet? Before I release the official patch next week with this changes, I would really like to have some to have someone verify that the OpenOffice.org 3.1 code that I backported actually does increase performance.

I've had patches with this change installed when working lightly on my "large" spreadsheet over the past week, and I really haven't noticed any difference at all. I don't know if I don't have enough recalculations going on or enough data, or if the NeoOffice 2.2.x->3.0 upgrade was just significant enough that other changes are below the threshold of "noticeability" for my sheet.

Edit: When I reread the patch description in the other topic, I'm not sure my sheet is doing any of the things that OOo claimed to have improved.

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
pluby wrote:

Patrick

Sorry it ended up being two weeks not one away! I will try your patches tomorrow and get back to you.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject:

Markk wrote:
pluby wrote:
pluby wrote:

Patrick

Sorry it ended up being two weeks not one away! I will try your patches tomorrow and get back to you.

Note that the test patches have been superseded by Patch 3.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1