Welcome to NeoOffice developer notes and announcements
NeoOffice
Developer notes and announcements
 
 

Download or installation problems? Try these steps
Problems after upgrading to NeoOffice 2017? Try these steps


Support
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki


Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice


Downloads
· Download NeoOffice


RSS Feeds
· Announcements Only
· All Posts


  
NeoOffice :: View topic - some first impressions
some first impressions
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gust
Councilperson


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: some first impressions Reply with quote

After playing around with NeoOffice Mobile, just a couple of first thoughts.
  • Publishing (which means something like archive for private use) works fine. It would be nice to have the option to choose between html or pdf format when browsing. Having a browser/device specific default is smart, but sometimes you just want the alternative format for whatever reason.
  • I don't really get the concept of sharing. It seams to me that you can only share a document upon initial saving, which is a limitation anyway. I didn't manage get a doc in shared mode (whatever that may mean).
  • Am I correct to understand that the intended setup limits sharing to other NeoOffice Mobile users? It would be nice to extend access to shared documents to guests such that you can send them a static link where they can browse the document without going through the registration process.
  • When I tried to upload 272 KB document I hit a file size limit. We've been discussing file sizes earlier. The innuendo was that file size doesn't matter. Now it does, so I stand to the point I made earlier.
  • It would be nice if login & password were saved in the preference files, so you wouldn't have to enter them at every startup of NeoOffice.
  • Clicking on the help-tab results in a bunch of "Warning (2):" errors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
  • Clicking on the help-tab results in a bunch of "Warning (2):" errors.

I just posted a thread about that here; it's fine in English, but apparently broken in other languages.

Smokey

_________________
"[...] whether the duck drinks hot chocolate or coffee is irrelevant." -- ovvldc and sardisson in the NeoWiki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11889
Location: California, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
[*]When I tried to upload 272 KB document I hit a file size limit. We've been discussing file sizes earlier. The innuendo was that file size doesn't matter. Now it does, so I stand to the point I made earlier.


I am not sure what your point is here. I think that you are confusing the size of your .odt document with the combined size of what is uploaded with your file: PDF and an HTML archive.

During the Preview phase, we are limiting combined upload size to 10 MB. Since your 272 KB document is exceeding that, does your document have any linked images or objects in it? If so, your document is not really 272 KB as any linked images and objects are embedded in the PDF and HTML archive.

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11889
Location: California, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
[*]Am I correct to understand that the intended setup limits sharing to other NeoOffice Mobile users? It would be nice to extend access to shared documents to guests such that you can send them a static link where they can browse the document without going through the registration process.


I do not understand what is the difference between a "guest" and any user on the internet. From your description, it sounds like you are describing making your NeoOffice shared folder a public website. Am I missing something?

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gust
Councilperson


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

pluby wrote:
I am not sure what your point is here. I think that you are confusing the size of your .odt document with the combined size of what is uploaded with your file: PDF and an HTML archive.
Ok. I didn't realise that pdf and html are precompiled before uploading them.
pluby wrote:
During the Preview phase, we are limiting combined upload size to 10 MB. Since your 272 KB document is exceeding that, does your document have any linked images or objects in it? If so, your document is not really 272 KB as any linked images and objects are embedded in the PDF and HTML archive.
It had a couple of images. But the images are inline, so they should fit somewhere in the 272 KB allocation. Not sure how it expanded tot over 10 MB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11889
Location: California, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
Ok. I didn't realise that pdf and html are precompiled before uploading them.


Since PDF files have the actual fonts embedded in them, you must create the PDF on the same machine that the original document is being viewed on. Otherwise, you would likely see fonts replaced or different metrics for the same font if the server does not have the same fonts as your machine.

Gust wrote:
It had a couple of images. But the images are inline, so they should fit somewhere in the 272 KB allocation. Not sure how it expanded tot over 10 MB.


Maybe we are seeing a configuration error on one of our servers. Can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic?:

Code:
ping -c 1 neomobile-test.neooffice.org


Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gust
Councilperson


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

pluby wrote:
I do not understand what is the difference between a "guest" and any user on the internet. From your description, it sounds like you are describing making your NeoOffice shared folder a public website. Am I missing something?
You're right to some point. What I often do is upload a document in a couple of formats (and with a versioned and partly randomised filename) to a webserver and then just send out the links to selected contacts (could be a private mailing list) with whom I'm collaborating on a project.

Using NeoOffice Mobile for this purpose would smoothen the process for me in that I would not have to do separate steps for converting, renaming and (unsecure) ftp uploading. And my contacts would benefit from the sophisticated support of browsers/devices offered by NeoOffice Mobile.

So yes, it's like a public website in the sense that for me it would replace to some extent the way I use public webspace now. But no, it's not that I want everyone to browse through the entire archive so on this point it's unlike a public website.

These are just a couple of thoughts. I may well have missed the idea behind NeoOffice Mobile, but I was just comparing the setup to the actual way I combine NeoOffice with webspace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gust
Councilperson


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

pluby wrote:
Maybe we are seeing a configuration error on one of our servers. Can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic?:

Code:
ping -c 1 neomobile-test.neooffice.org

It says:
Code:
PING neomobile-test.neooffice.org (174.133.4.162): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 174.133.4.162: icmp_seq=0 ttl=52 time=140.029 ms

--- neomobile-test.neooffice.org ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 140.029/140.029/140.029/0.000 ms
I'm not sure if I did the upload before or after the server reconfig you did in reaction to the earlier reported failure to create an account.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
narf
The Anomaly


Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Posts: 1075

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
I'm not sure if I did the upload before or after the server reconfig you did in reaction to the earlier reported failure to create an account.


Can you try uploading now to see if the configuration changes to the server solved this?

thanks --fran
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gust
Councilperson


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

narf wrote:
Can you try uploading now to see if the configuration changes to the server solved this?
Nop, it still says upload.error.uploading.max.size.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11889
Location: California, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
So yes, it's like a public website in the sense that for me it would replace to some extent the way I use public webspace now. But no, it's not that I want everyone to browse through the entire archive so on this point it's unlike a public website.


That is really where the difficulty is: once a URL is unprotected, it is open to anyone and you are really hoping that no one finds your secret URL.

Although it is a little more hassle, one option is that you can have your trusted circle of people create free NeoOffice Mobile accounts from their web browser or mobile phone. The free accounts would not be able to publish, but they would be able to view any files that you decide to share with them.

The key here is that you do not need NeoOffice to create a NeoOffice Mobile acocunt. You only need to go to the NeoOffice Mobile website at the following URL:

https://neomobile-test.neooffice.org/

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
narf
The Anomaly


Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Posts: 1075

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
narf wrote:
Can you try uploading now to see if the configuration changes to the server solved this?
Nop, it still says upload.error.uploading.max.size.


Thank you for providing the error message. It is a different one than I have seen in the past when a document fails to be saved because of size.

Can you try and save the document in PDF format? What size is the PDF document?

--fran
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gust
Councilperson


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

narf wrote:
Can you try and save the document in PDF format? What size is the PDF document?
I actually misreported the odt file size. 272 KB is the size of the pdf document. The original odt file is 420 KB. But that's still well within the 10 MB limit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
narf
The Anomaly


Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Posts: 1075

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

TimT -

It appears that there are three issues here. Do you have enough information to investigate the following three issues?:

1. When Gust tries to upload a file that has a combined size of less than 1 MB, the upload fails. This is occuring on neomobile-test-backup.neooffice.org, not the server that we had a configuration problem on last Saturday. I can reproduce this on neomobile-test-backup2.neooffice.org.

2. When Gust's upload fails, only the message key "upload.error.uploading.max.size" is shown, not that key's matching error text. I can not reproduce this on neomobile-test-backup2.neooffice.org. For me the error is "Sorry, an error occured while saving data"

3. When I upload a large file (over 10MB combined size) to neooffice-test-backup2.neooffice.org, the upload fails as expected, but I get the generic "Sorry, an error occured while saving data" error message which I though we had fixed in bug 3460.

I have attached the file that is less than 10MB that I used for upload testing for Issue 1.

--fran

Edited by narf to clarify the issues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
narf
The Anomaly


Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Posts: 1075

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: some first impressions Reply with quote

Gust wrote:
I actually misreported the odt file size. 272 KB is the size of the pdf document. The original odt file is 420 KB. But that's still well within the 10 MB limit.


Can you provide us with a sample document that fails to upload? I have not been able to get a document under 10MB that reproduces the upload problem consistently.

There are instructions on how to attach a sample document to your post in this post:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6975

--fran
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Planamesa Inc.
NeoOffice is a registered trademark of Planamesa Inc. and may not be used without permission.
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.03 Seconds