Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New look for NeoOffice disk image
New look for NeoOffice disk image

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toinou04
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: New look for NeoOffice disk image

Hello,
I improved the NeoOffice disk image to make it more enjoyable.

I also AppleScripts NeoOffice Launchers allow to launch directly modules NeoOffice Writer, NeoOffice Calc, NeoOffice Math, NeoOffice Impress, NeoOffice Base ou NeoOffice Draw.

By a click-right (or Ctrl-clic) on the icon of the NeoOffice application, show the contents of the package as it is proposed in the contextual menu. Open the file Contents then MacOS (or Programs). Every units of program is available: sdraw, sofice, swriter, smath, simpress, scalc, etc.
Drag and drop one of these elements towards a window opened by Terminal and validate the command.

do shell script "/Applications/OpenOffice.org. app/Contents/MacOS/sdraw" (for example)

And save this script as an autonomous application.

To add a background image to a disk image. Dmg, there is a method very easy:

1 - Make a disk image with "Disk Utility"

2 - Fill it with what you want

3 - Make a "background" in your disk image (file> new folder)

4 - Choose an image: you can tweak and convert with exellent software gimp, http://www.gimp.org/

5 - put this image into "background"

6 - Show the presentation option (cmd + J) in the disk image, select "This window only" and select the path to your image

7 - With the utility "invisible" http://www.amarok2.net/index.php?id=117&menu=3 or "Avosmac2Visibility" http://www.freeware.avosmac.com/, you make "background" folder invisible

Using Viou http://www.launaysoft.com/ you can change the appearance of the disk image icon
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject:

How would this be automated in a make file? You have many different manual steps that require several pieces of GUI software which would require throwing out the automated building of our installers and their .dmg files. Since we have nearly 120 .dmg files with each release and we now do a 2.2.x and and 3.0.x release, a manual approach would add a huge burden on me to do.

This is the primary reason that I never put this extras in the .dmg: I could not figure out how to automate them using the hdiutil command. If anyone knows how any of these steps can be done using command line tools, I will try them out.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
How would this be automated in a make file? You have many different manual steps that require several pieces of GUI software which would require throwing out the automated building of our installers and their .dmg files. Since we have nearly 120 .dmg files with each release and we now do a 2.2.x and and 3.0.x release, a manual approach would add a huge burden on me to do.

You can use Mozilla's pkg-dmg (MPL/LGPL/GPL) to do it from your Makefiles. The biggest issue I'm aware of with that is getting a working .DS_Store file to install on the disk apparently requires 10.2; I haven't checked on that situation lately (at one point mento was going to reverse-engineer the .DS_Store format to allow writing a tool that generates a proper file, but I don't know what became of that). Some versions of the tool also default to bzip2 compression when building the .dmg; that's OK for Neo 3, but for 2.2.x you'd have to feed it the flag for standard zlib compression in your command. I'm also not sure how copying additional folders works, since none of the Moz apps put other than additional files on the dmg.

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

To add a background image to a disk image .dmg, there is the exellent software DMG Architect http://www.sourcebits.com/dmg/, but not free ($ 29.99)

sardisson wrote:
You can use Mozilla's pkg-dmg (MPL/LGPL/GPL) to do it from your Makefiles.

Yes it is a good idea.
But what do you think about NeoOffice Launchers?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject:

toinou04 wrote:
Yes it is a good idea.
But what do you think about NeoOffice Launchers?

There are already several launchers available in this NeoWiki article. You are welcome to add yours to the list in that article. However, we have no plans for changing what is included in the NeoOffice distribution at this time.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
ou can use Mozilla's pkg-dmg (MPL/LGPL/GPL) to do it from your Makefiles. The biggest issue I'm aware of with that is getting a working .DS_Store file to install on the disk apparently requires 10.2; I haven't checked on that situation lately (at one point mento was going to reverse-engineer the .DS_Store format to allow writing a tool that generates a proper file, but I don't know what became of that). Some versions of the tool also default to bzip2 compression when building the .dmg; that's OK for Neo 3, but for 2.2.x you'd have to feed it the flag for standard zlib compression in your command. I'm also not sure how copying additional folders works, since none of the Moz apps put other than additional files on the dmg.

Thanks Smokey. I will admit that this is starting to sound like a non-trivial amount of work. I will admit that I am quite saturated right now with core NeoOffice issues so "prettying up" the contents of the .dmg file is not something I am likely to get to anytime soon.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Thanks Smokey. I will admit that this is starting to sound like a non-trivial amount of work. I will admit that I am quite saturated right now with core NeoOffice issues so "prettying up" the contents of the .dmg file is not something I am likely to get to anytime soon.

I forgot to add that if toinou04 or anyone else can integrate this into the NeoOffice build's makefile and provide us with a full patch to the build files, I will be happy to review it and test it out.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject:

I might be able to find time to look at it this weekend.

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I forgot to add that if toinou04 or anyone else can integrate this into the NeoOffice build's makefile and provide us with a full patch to the build files, I will be happy to review it and test it out.

Patrick

Thank you,
At least, what I have done will have something (I spent a little time to do that). Very Happy
How can I add my work in NeoOffice build's makefile and provide a full patch to the build files?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:

toinou04 wrote:
At least, what I have done will have something (I spent a little time to do that). Very Happy
How can I add my work in NeoOffice build's makefile and provide a full patch to the build files?

I think I need to be more clear. When I said you need to provide a patch, it means that you need to do the following:

1. Figure out how to automate each of these steps using Terminal commands not GUI applications as the NeoOffice build uses the make command line tool to plow through the 120 installers

2. Figure out what changes to make to NeoOffice's existing makefile so that our existing .dmg build has your Terminal commands and does not break our existing build

In other words, you have done the easiest step: perform it manually and now you or some other volunteer will need to do the more difficult programming work. This means that if you wish to see this in a future release of NeoOffice, you or Smokey are going to have to build NeoOffice and make the appropriate edits to the makefile. Build instructions are on this web page.

Sorry I cannot be of help, but I am the only full time developer here and while the results are pretty, I do not have the time to do this manually nor do I have the time to do the above steps for you because my time is filled every day with fixing critical hanging and crashing bugs.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject:

You can find more info about make and makefiles here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_(software)

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html
toinou04
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
In other words, you have done the easiest step: perform it manually and now you or some other volunteer will need to do the more difficult programming work.

I understand.
But my specialty is the design, not programming. But if someone knows, I would be happy. At least, my time has to serve something. I hope ...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1