Aqua menu patch available for testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject:

M-Rick wrote:
No I wasn't speaking about menu's icon, but toolbars.

About the menus, I'm agree with you, it's not the Mac OS X look and feel.

OK, then we'll leave it at the "no icons in menus" way it is at present. As for the toolbar icons, at some point in the future I'm hoping to incorporate the Ximian LGPL'd GNOME icons like I did for the old Neo prototypes. Unfortunately, if anyone followed those threads, it's a lot of work and a bit tricky since the Ximian icons usee an alpha mask that's not supported by stock OOo code.

It's on my list, but it's not high up in priority. Buttons and widgets are ahead of it in my queue.

ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject:

So with all the amazing work that is going into NeoOffice/J, has the original NeoOffice (coca/carbon) been abandoned? Just curious. Wink Great work everyone! Very Happy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: In which log will I find info relating to hang/force qui

grahamperrin wrote:
In NeoOffice Bugzilla I have created bug ID 178, With Aqua menus, printing causes hang.

I was finally able to reproduce this hanging behavior. However, I could only get it to hang if I pressed command-P twice in a row. Is that what you are seeing?

Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
M-Rick wrote:
Do you think it is possible to use the QT 3 framework as they do in Linux to be able to have Mac OS X look and feel for the windows ?

Implementing the QT 3 framework would be a huge amount of effort. Probably just about as much as it took to implement Java. Sad

Patrick

ha ok.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject:

guest wrote:
So with all the amazing work that is going into NeoOffice/J, has the original NeoOffice (coca/carbon) been abandoned? Just curious. Wink Great work everyone! Very Happy

See the following topic over in the "NeoOffice Development" forums for more info.

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=680

It's all a question of goals. The immediate goal of an Aqua look is easier to achieve with Neo/J then Cocoa. Long term strategies of making frameworks and the like are different, but we don't have the manpower to pursue them at this time since everyone wants the blue buttons yesterday Wink

ed
grahamperrin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: In which log will I find info relating to hang/force qui

pluby wrote:
grahamperrin wrote:
In NeoOffice Bugzilla I have created bug ID 178, With Aqua menus, printing causes hang.

I was finally able to reproduce this hanging behavior. However, I could only get it to hang if I pressed command-P twice in a row. Is that what you are seeing?

On closer inspection, I have the same problem as does sardisson -- if I try to use any of the three pull-down menus within the print dialogue, or the pull-across/down menu/icon (I have PDF Services enabled), the application becomes unresponsive.

Would it be useful for me to add, to the bug report, info or sampling shown by Activity Monitor while the hang is occurring?

Incidentally, is use of the q key whilst command-tabbing equivalent to a normal quit, or a force quit, or somewhere in between?

Graham
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: In which log will I find info relating to hang/force qui

pluby wrote:
grahamperrin wrote:

Nope, it's a single press of cmd-p or single selection of "Print" from the File menu--and then trying to access something from a print dialogue box drop-down menu (switch printers, switch "saved printer settings," adjust other print settings not in the Copies & Pages section).

I can't reach Bugzilla right now ("timeout trying to contact host"...did we overload the poor thing yesterday?), but I did a sample like JKT suggested and posted it http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/neoj/sample-NeoOfficeJ.txt for your debugging pleasure Smile

Thanks,
Smokey
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: In which log will I find info relating to hang/force qui

grahamperrin wrote:
Would it be useful for me to add, to the bug report, info or sampling shown by Activity Monitor while the hang is occurring?

There is no need for the sampling data. By clicking on any of the print dialog's lists, I get the hanging. Before I was just clicking "Preview" which is why I could not reproduce the bug.

grahamperrin wrote:
Incidentally, is use of the q key whilst command-tabbing equivalent to a normal quit, or a force quit, or somewhere in between?

It is equivalent to a normal quit.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: In which log will I find info relating to hang/force qui

pluby wrote:
grahamperrin wrote:

It is equivalent to a normal quit.

For further note...with the native menus, Command-Q should actually bind to File > Exit and not to the Quit in the application menu. This means it should now go through the regular OOo quit code and not the MRJ quit handler.

ed
GeorgeJ
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Make "find" resolve a symbolic link

Hi everybody,

the Aqua menus are great! Thanks a lot!
Here's a small improvement for the patch installer.

The shell scripts "VolumeCheck", "NeoOfficeJ.post_install" and "NeoOfficeJ.post_upgrade" inside the patch installer pkg use the "find" command. Please add a trailing slash to the pathname specified:

find "$volume/Applications/" -type d -name "*.app" -prune

Without the slash, "find" doesn't resolve a symbolic link /Applications (-> /Volumes/MyAppPartition, e. g.). In this case, you cannot select a volume to install the patch on.

Cheers,
George
lga
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Disappearing menu...

I just installed the patch and I noticed that when I am opening a spreadsheet (a new one or an existing one) the entries in the menu bars disappear. Actually, you get "Apple", "NeoOffice/J" and then a series of invisible hotspots through which you can get at the menus. It looks like NeoJ is looking for a specific font and can't find it.

Every other document type has a visible menu. When several documents are open, the menu disappears when switching to a spreadsheet and reappear when switching to another document type.

There is no error message in the console nor in the system log.

I should note that I did install the set of kde icons, and have installed a few extra macros (extendedPDF, CaldMacroRecorder, TextToColumns) though I don't think it should have any impact.

Lga.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Make "find" resolve a symbolic link

GeorgeJ wrote:
The shell scripts "VolumeCheck", "NeoOfficeJ.post_install" and "NeoOfficeJ.post_upgrade" inside the patch installer pkg use the "find" command. Please add a trailing slash to the pathname specified:

find "$volume/Applications/" -type d -name "*.app" -prune

Thanks for the fix. Instead of adding a trailing slash, I changed the command to:

find -L "$volume/Applications" -type d -name "*.app" -prune

The -L will cause find to traverse into any softlinked subdirectories found.

Patrick
GeorgeJ
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Make "find" resolve a symbolic link

pluby wrote:
Instead of adding a trailing slash, I changed the command to:

find -L "$volume/Applications" -type d -name "*.app" -prune

Ah, that's more elegant. The benefits of reading the man page. Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Disappearing menu...

lga wrote:
I just installed the patch and I noticed that when I am opening a spreadsheet (a new one or an existing one) the entries in the menu bars disappear. Actually, you get "Apple", "NeoOffice/J" and then a series of invisible hotspots through which you can get at the menus. It looks like NeoJ is looking for a specific font and can't find it.

Every other document type has a visible menu. When several documents are open, the menu disappears when switching to a spreadsheet and reappear when switching to another document type.

Lga, did you by chance add, move, edit/rename, or delete a menu item (that appears only in Calc?) using Tools>Configure>Menu? What you're describing seems a lot like bug 175, although in my case it seems to be occuring with all document types (well, at least Writer and Calc; haven't tested the others), but then again the menus I edited should be available to all modules.

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to come so late to the party... nice job on the menus.

One thing that stuck out immediately is (as bug http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=171&pos=11 reports) there are two "Quit/Exit" options in the menus now. The first, called "Exit" and bearing the Command-Q shortcut, is under File. The second, called "Quit" is under the left-most Neooffice application menu.

I guess the idea is to have the Application menu's Quit show the shortcut + be the "default" way to quit. Does this mean the (wrongly-named) "Exit" will be gone in the next patch? Also "Quit" should probably be renamed "Quit Neooffice/J"

Also, this is probably obvious, but the the "About Neooffice/J" under the Neooffice/J Application menu should be made active, and replace the About dialog presented by the current "About" option in the Help menu.

When this is done, what's next?

May I recommend adding in the native open and save file panels? Wink I think many "average" users may be thrown by the "up a directory" folder icon, the idea that ".." means go up a directory, etc.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/AppFileMgmt/index.html

Awesome job as always!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9