Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3 patch 3 unusable
NeoOffice 3 patch 3 unusable

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 3 patch 3 unusable

Mac Os X 10.4.11
1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
768 MB of RAM

Hi,

With Patch 3, clicking on the menu bar takes years to respond, and something it is so slow that the spinning ball pops in.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Copy/Paste/Cut is also really, really slow (spinning balls). In fact, all the menu commands are slow.
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject:

How many applications are you also running at the same time?

Safari alone can hog 100% of the CPU if you have a web page open with flash and javascript running.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject:

If you see the spinning beachball, then we'll need to see a sample of NeoOffice (while the ball is spinning):

Obtaining a sample when NeoOffice hangs (displays the spinning beachball)

You can then attach the sample to your post:

How to attach files to your post
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject:

In addition to obtaining a sample as Samwise posted, can you also try the following?:

Run the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application and see which applications other than NeoOffice are using more than 1% of CPU?

In the Activity Monitor window use the pick list to change the selection from the default "My Processes" to "All Processes" so you can view all processes running. Click on the CPU column to order the processes from largest to smallest to make it easier to see what is hogging the CPU.

If there are any such applications, does NeoOffice's speed improve when you quit those other CPU-hogging applications?

--fran
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject:

MacRat wrote:
How many applications are you also running at the same time?

Safari alone can hog 100% of the CPU if you have a web page open with flash and javascript running.

No other application were running and this is specific to patch 3 (patch 2 was working just fine with for example, Thunderbird, Firefox and MSWord opened). And I never use Safari.
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
If you see the spinning beachball, then we'll need to see a sample of NeoOffice (while the ball is spinning):

Obtaining a sample when NeoOffice hangs (displays the spinning beachball)

You can then attach the sample to your post:

How to attach files to your post

Please note that NeOffice is alive (i.e. it does not hang) as it will eventually give me access to the menu items. The problem is that "eventually" can be in the order of several seconds.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
Please note that NeOffice is alive (i.e. is does not hang) as it will eventually give me access to the menu items. The problem is that "eventually" can be in the order of several seconds.

Does this happen only the first time you click on the menubar for a document? NeoOffice 3.0's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 menu initialization code is several times slower than NeoOffice 2.2.5's underlying OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 code so if you click on the menubar during the first 15 seconds after a document is opened, there should be some delay in the menu display. However, if you click on the menubar in the same document a second time, the menus should appear much more quickly as the slow menu initialization code will be done.

So, if the second click on the menubar is nearly as slow as the first click, can you start the sample of the NeoOffice process and then immediately shift to the NeoOffice and click on the menubar. As soon as the menubar appears, switch back to Activity Monitor and stop the sampling. If you attach that sample, it might give me some clues as to where the bottleneck is occurring.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:
Please note that NeOffice is alive (i.e. is does not hang) as it will eventually give me access to the menu items. The problem is that "eventually" can be in the order of several seconds.

Does this happen only the first time you click on the menubar for a document? NeoOffice 3.0's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 menu initialization code is several times slower than NeoOffice 2.2.5's underlying OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 code so if you click on the menubar during the first 15 seconds after a document is opened, there should be some delay in the menu display. However, if you click on the menubar in the same document a second time, the menus should appear much more quickly as the slow menu initialization code will be done.

So, if the second click on the menubar is nearly as slow as the first click, can you start the sample of the NeoOffice process and then immediately shift to the NeoOffice and click on the menubar. As soon as the menubar appears, switch back to Activity Monitor and stop the sampling. If you attach that sample, it might give me some clues as to where the bottleneck is occurring.

Patrick

Yes second click is as slow (sometimes slower, sometimes faster) as first click. I was not able to find some logic. In addition, all menu commands are slow. for example, if I press "command W", the action takes place, but some time after the command is issued.

Same for copy/paste.
For example, I cut recently a portion of text then I past it in another location. Then I had to wait at leat 5 seconds before the action to occur (and the spinning ball pops up).

I'll try to do the "sample stuff" once I got home, but please be aware that I will revert to patch 2 after that, as I need urgently to update my resume, and this bug really prevents me from working. So I won't be able to do some other testings.

Edit: removed stray quote tag
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
I'll try to do the "sample stuff" once I got home, but please be aware that I will revert to patch 2 after that, as I need urgently to update my resume, and this bug really prevents me from working. So I won't be able to do some other testings.

I would recommend moving or renaming your NeoOffice 3.0 installation and then downloading and installing NeoOffice 2.2.5 and its latest patch.

NeoOffice 2.2.5 will almost always have much faster menu response as our approach so far with NeoOffice 3.0 has been to try and hide OpenOffice.org 3.0.1's slower menu initialization code. By moving or renaming your NeoOffice 3.0 installation, you can use the faster NeoOffice 2.2.5 for your critical work and, when you have time, help test any tweaks that we can do to improve the menu performance.

Patrick

Edited by narf to fix a typo
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:

I would recommend moving or renaming your NeoOffice 3.0 installation and then downloading and installing NeoOffice 2.2.5 and its latest patch.

NeoOffice 2.2.5 will almost always have much faster menu response as our approach so far with NeoOffice 3.0 has been to try and hide OpenOffice.org 3.0.1's slower menu initialization code. By moving or renaming your NeoOffice 3.0 installation, you can use the faster NeoOffice 2.2.5 for your critical work and, when you have time, help test any tweaks that we can do to improve the menu performance.

Patrick

Edited by narf to fix a typo

Ah, but the problem is that if I updated to version 3, this is because it is much much faster than version 2.2.5. I suppose others did'nt notice much differences, but on my 1.33 Ghz ppc machine, this was significant Sad

And as I already said, in patch 2, I didn't have any issues with menus.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:

fmu wrote:

Since many people reported the opposite when we had the Patch 3 changes out in test patches and on my old G5 processor I don't see any slowdown, can you collect some information for us by doing the following steps? This will tell us if there are any system hacks on your machine that might be conflicting with NeoOffice's menu code:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilites/Terminal application
2. Copy the following commands into the Terminal window that appears and press the Return key:

Code:
ls -l ~/Library/InputManagers
ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support
ls -l /Library/InputManagers
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support

3. Paste any output into this forum topic.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Patrick

Ok, you want something really weird. here it is: I launched Activity monitor, select NeoOffice, then click sample and then switch to NeoOffice and play with the menubar and the keyboard shortcuts. The response time was roughly ok (I have taken 5 samples, but I don't think they will help you.

Then I exited the monitor, and the menubar and the keyboard shortcuts were slow again!!!

Edit: Well, I don't think the events are related as now, the menubar is again roughly ok. So this seems to be pure randomness. Sometimes, the menubar responds as expexted, and sometimes not.

I don't know how you will debug this.

(Just to be sure, I will revert to patch 2 and will tell you how NeoOffice behaves).
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:

Since many people reported the opposite when we had the Patch 3 changes out in test patches and on my old G5 processor I don't see any slowdown, can you collect some information for us by doing the following steps? This will tell us if there are any system hacks on your machine that might be conflicting with NeoOffice's menu code:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilites/Terminal application
2. Copy the following commands into the Terminal window that appears and press the Return key:

Code:
ls -l ~/Library/InputManagers
ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support
ls -l /Library/InputManagers
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support

3. Paste any output into this forum topic.

Patrick

See file in attachment
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:

You are right: I don't know how to debug this. But, I will be interested to see what the output of the Terminal commands in my last post are.

Can you also try one more thing? I want to see if Mac OS X's Spotlight service might be causing this. To check if Spotlight is the cause, can you launch the Mac OS X System Preferences application, click on the Spotlight icon, click on the Privacy tab, and then drag all of the volumes on your Desktop into the "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations" box in the Privacy tab.

Does NeoOffice's menu responsiveness improve within a few seconds after doing this?

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject:

Something really interesting:

I revert back to patch 2, and the menubar is working just fine.

There is however something strange. In this version, I have the toolbar "Add-on Show media browser" docked and I have locked its position so that when I select a table, the table toobar does not resize my window (see picture in attachment).

With patch 3, this toolbar has disappeared (and in fact, it is no longer available in the View menu Toolbars menuitem) .
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3