NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3 patch 3 unusable
NeoOffice 3 patch 3 unusable

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cunamara
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Similar problems here

iBook 1.33 gHz, OS X 10.4.11

I am have had the very same problems with menu bar unresponsiveness with NO3 Patch 3. Initially the menus werre slightly slow, as has happened with previous new versions and then got better after a few patches, so I wasn't concerned.

These problems became somewhat worse after installing the OOoLilyPond macro (OLy for short) on 6/5/09, which caused NeoOffice to crash several times; it screwed up the extensions manager temporarily and i had to reboot the computer to ge able to diable and remove the macro. Menu response and pasting text, in particular, was noticeably slower after this with the beach ball appearing often and the process taking 2-5 seconds. I figured that the OLy macro might have damaged something but maybe I was just paying closer attention.

The problems with unresponsiveness became dramatically worse this evening after installing the latest Java Update from Apple. 10-15 second wait times for menu response, sometimes, and then only 1-2 seconds (normal behavior) at other times. Sometimes the first menu click is very fast and the rest are very slow. I tried sampling and also found that menu response became very quick while Activity Monitor was open! Very strange.

I attempted to download the test patches above, since that seemed to work for the OP, but am getting redirect errors in all browsers (Camino, FireFox, Safari). Cookies are enabled for the neooffice.org domain.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar problems here

Cunamara wrote:
I attempted to download the test patches above, since that seemed to work for the OP, but am getting redirect errors in all browsers (Camino, FireFox, Safari). Cookies are enabled for the neooffice.org domain.

We have corrected the link to the test patch. Can you try downloading the test patch again?

If NeoOffice experiences a crash after installing the test patch, remove the OOoLilyPond extension because it may be incompatible with NeoOffice.

If NeoOffice crashes even after the OOoLilyPond extension is removed, attach a crashlog to your post.

There are instructions on how to attach a file in the following post:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6975

--fran
Cunamara
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar problems here

narf wrote:

We have corrected the link to the test patch. Can you try downloading the test patch again?

I'm downloading the patches now. In the interim I had downloaded 2.2.5 and patch 11 to see if reverting at least made things usable to get me through work tomorrow. The same behavior was evident with 2.2.5p11 but did not seem to be evident with 2.2.5p0. so I am downloading both test patches and will try both out.

OK, briefly experimenting with 2.2.5p12 I find that there is still quite a bit of slowness in menu response and it seems to worsen as I click on menus successively. The first few times there is a 1-2 second delay, followed by lengthening delays and the spinning beachball, up to 10 seconds. When pasting text using keyboard commands, there was a 2-3 second delay and a brief spinning beachball before pasted text appeared.

Updating 3.0 to p4, normal functioning seems to be restored. The menus are not instantaneous but the delay is much less than a second, about par for the course. Plus there is now the new "NeoOffice Mobile" menu which I don't have time to check out tonight. Midnight here, I've got to go to bed.

I'll be using NeoOffice again at work tomorrow and will report my observations, probably in the evening.

By the way, thanks again to Patrick and Fran and the rest of the NeoOffice developer community for the dedication to making a superb product available for the Mac. And also for the extremely fast attention to these concerns, it really is astonishing to have a response- and apparently a solution- practically within minutes. Whatever I have donated to NeoOffice, it's not enough. It's not just free software, it's great software.

Quote:
If NeoOffice experiences a crash after installing the test patch, remove the OOoLilyPond extension because it may be incompatible with NeoOffice.

I had removed OLy on 6/5/09 when I had three crashes after installing it. No crashes of NeoOffice since removing OLy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar problems here

Cunamara wrote:
OK, briefly experimenting with 2.2.5p12 I find that there is still quite a bit of slowness in menu response and it seems to worsen as I click on menus successively. The first few times there is a 1-2 second delay, followed by lengthening delays and the spinning beachball, up to 10 seconds....

I cannot reproduce this with an empty Writer document. So I suspect that NeoOffice is busy doing some other work as the menus will not appear until any pending tasks in NeoOffice are completed. What specific steps can you provide to reproduce this?

Cunamara wrote:
Updating 3.0 to p4, normal functioning seems to be restored. The menus are not instantaneous but the delay is much less than a second, about par for the course. Plus there is now the new "NeoOffice Mobile" menu which I don't have time to check out tonight. Midnight here, I've got to go to bed.

All test patches contain this new feature. We are in the Preview phase of NeoOffice Mobile. More details are in the following NeoWiki article:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Mobile_Preview

Patrick
Cunamara
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar problems here

pluby wrote:
Cunamara wrote:
OK, briefly experimenting with 2.2.5p12 I find that there is still quite a bit of slowness in menu response and it seems to worsen as I click on menus successively. The first few times there is a 1-2 second delay, followed by lengthening delays and the spinning beachball, up to 10 seconds....

I cannot reproduce this with an empty Writer document. So I suspect that NeoOffice is busy doing some other work as the menus will not appear until any pending tasks in NeoOffice are completed. What specific steps can you provide to reproduce this?

Sorry about the slow response. With 2.2.5.12 all I did was what I usually do- double click on a template, wait for the the new file to load and all the icons on the toolbars and such to come up, and then click on the menus and then try to cut and paste a word.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Can any other NeoOffice user's reproduce the slowness that Cumamara is seeing? If so, can you post the steps that you used to reproduct this?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3