Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc slowdown since patch #2
Calc slowdown since patch #2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Calc slowdown since patch #2

Since installing v3 patch #2, I've noticed that a number of things in Calc have slowed down - for example, cmd-B on a cell to make the contents bold takes around a second to update cell contents, and then cmd-Z to undo similarly takes a second. I have tested this with all my haxies disabled, but in any case this wasn't happening under patch #1.

Any thoughts?

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Calc slowdown since patch #2

yoxi wrote:
Since installing v3 patch #2, I've noticed that a number of things in Calc have slowed down - for example, cmd-B on a cell to make the contents bold takes around a second to update cell contents, and then cmd-Z to undo similarly takes a second. I have tested this with all my haxies disabled, but in any case this wasn't happening under patch #1.

You are seeing the fix for bug 3455. When you press Command-key in NeoOffice 3.0, the menus need to be updated. What we found was that during the updating, NeoOffice's underying OpenOffice.org code was triggering an early end to the menu updating and, in some cases, that would cause NeoOffice to crash.

What you are now seeing is NeoOffice fully update the menus and that process is not always fast as the OpenOffice.org code that initializes each menu item is significantly slower in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 than it was in OpenOffice.org 2.2.5 (the version that NeoOffice 2.2.5 is based on).

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:

Interestingly, I do not see this slowdown after the first Command-key combination is pressed when using a small spreadsheet. This makes sense as only the first menu update is usually slow.

Do you have a spreadsheet with lots of cells? If so, does unchecking the Tools :: Cell Contents :: AutoCalculate menu change anything?

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Nope, only about 10 cells with text/numbers, 3 of them simple formulae.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what it does.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I'll keep an eye on it and see what it does.

Can you also try running the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application and see which applications other than NeoOffice are using more than 1% of CPU?

In the Activity Monitor window use the pick list to change the selection from the default "My Processes" to "All Processes" so you can view all processes running. Click on the CPU column to order the processes from largest to smallest to make it easier to see what is hogging the CPU.

If there are any such applications, does NeoOffice's speed improve when you quit those other CPU-hogging applications?

--fran
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Nope, the only 2 apps taking (just barely) more than 1% of cpu are kernel_task - and Activity Monitor Smile.

I have several proper (i.e. non-haxie) apps that have items in the menubar. When I've got more time I'll try turning all those off too, as sometimes menubar items affect overall menu performance.

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject:

While working on an unrelated bug today, I found that my fixes for hanging bug 3425 and crashing bug 2455 was really slowing down the menu update code.

I think that I have fixed the slowness without breaking my fix for the other two bugs and I have posted links to test patches for both NeoOffice 3.0 and NeoOffice 2.2.5 in my last post in bug 3467. Can you copy the applicable link into your web browser, install the test patch, and tell us if the appearance of the Mac OS X spinning beach is significantly reduced?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject:

FYI. This morning I found one more small peformance improvement. I have added that performance improvement to the ones in the previous test patches and I have posted links to new test patches for both NeoOffice 3.0 and NeoOffice 2.2.5 in my last post in bug 3467. Can you copy the applicable link into your web browser, install the test patch, and tell us if the appearance of the Mac OS X spinning beach is significantly reduced?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:

yoxi,

I have not seen any posts to this forum topic so I was wondering if you had a chance to test my latest changes? If so, have you seen any improvement in the responsiveness of menu display in NeoOffice?

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, missed your previous posts about the patch. Will try it now... (bug listing says -test-3 but it arrives as -test-6 Smile)

... yes, spreadsheet copy/paste, format changes, and menu actions are now instantaneous again, thanks!
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix for this bug is included in NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 4. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

Also, the fix is included in NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 12. The patch can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/oldpatch.php

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1