NeoOffice :: View topic - Cannot insert function
Cannot insert function

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave-eh
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Cannot insert function

Hello;

I am trying to insert ANY function into Calc. When I open the Function Wizard (press F2 or nav to Insert/Function), the Wizard appears with "Err:511" in the Result box BEFORE any function is selected.

While entering numbers in the function boxes, this error remains and I do not seem to be able to insert any functions. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Dave
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject:

Look in the NeoOffice Help for "error codes; list of" for a list of error codes. The "Err:511" means that you are missing a required parameter. If you put text where a number is required, you'll get #NAME? in the function result. If you enter a 0 where the choices are limited to 1 or 2, you'll get #VALUE for the result.

And you get the Err:511 when the wizard starts because ALL the parameters are missing. It will stay that way until you've entered the minimum number of required pararmeters. The result will change as you enter optional parameters.

So review the help file for the list of error codes, then review the help file for the function you're using to see what parameters it expects.

Finally, it helps to tell us what version of Neo, and what patch level, you're using--as well as whether it's the PPC or Intel version.

dave-eh
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Thank you!

Ho Jim;

Thanks for your help. It seems I was inserting a minus sign before the PV in the function...this is an Excel requirement and I apologize for bringing my baggage over ;>)

Cheers,

Dave
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject:

No problem, Dave. All programs have their quirks, and Neo is no different in that respect. The Neo Help file gets bashed a lot, but it is sometimes actually helpful. If you run into something the Help file doesn't explain well, try the Wiki, and you can also get help on the Open Office forums. (OpenOffice works just like Neo. Neo looks nicer, and in some cases runs faster.)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1