Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo community elections & Thoughts on NeoJ-OOo relations
OOo community elections & Thoughts on NeoJ-OOo relations

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: OOo community elections & Thoughts on NeoJ-OOo relations

We don't really have a good location here for OOo/Neo product-related announcements that are not support-, testing-, or development-related (other than Random Whatnot, which is really too random)...so, on the theory that the most people read the Support forum, I'm posting here. Apologies in advance for the semi-OT nature.

The announcement: For those NeoJ users who don't really follow the OOo developments (more on that below), there is currently an election for a Community member of the OOo Community Council, which, as I understand, is the governing body of the entire OOo project. See this post for details. OOo "membership" is required, but that simply means registration, which will get you the ability to report OOo bugs, among other things.

The recent spewing of bile on the dev@porting list notwithstanding (and perhaps because of it), I think that it's important that NeoJ users (and Mac OOo users in general, but us specifically) remain connected, in touch, and "involved" with the larger OOo community. Whether or not the OOo project ever gets the resources to develop a Mac product that is "more native" than NeoJ is right now or will be, the fact remains that NeoJ is dependent on OOo for most of its "development," addition of features, bug fixes, etc. Patrick and Ed are truly amazing, but despite their incredible talent, there's no way the two of them (or any other handful of folks) can really add "core office features" to a beast as massive as OOo.

One of the most important things we can do as NeoJ users, and a "fairly" simple one, is report OOo bugs if we're not already doing so. If you report a bug about NeoJ and Patrick replies that it's a bug in the underlying OOo code, report the bug in the OpenOffice.org IssueZilla (follow the instructions there to search first to see if the bug is already reported).

Secondly, we should to "keep an eye on" what's going on in the OOo world, support and lobby as appropriate, and if we have time, do some testing on the Mac OOo release candidate builds--any bugs we catch it that before it is released are bugs that won't show up in NeoJ Smile We can't all do all of this all of the time because of time constraints, but if we check-in on the larger OOo world every now and again and post back here for the others if there's something interesting/important going on that we need to mobilize behind/against, it would be "progress."

Comments, thoughts, other suggestions welcome.

Smokey
Sue
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Good ideas Smokey Smile
I can't help with testing as I don't know enough but I do check the OOo forum most days to rescue the new Mac users & send them to OOo docs & here.
Sue

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1