Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - A couple of interesting articles on open-source licensing
A couple of interesting articles on open-source licensing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: A couple of interesting articles on open-source licensing

Thoughts about Dual-licensing Open Source software from the former founder of MySQL (a company and a product Sun gobbled up), which I think only lends more credence to Patrick and Ed's decision to be GPL-only with Neo.

Microsoft's Linux Kernel Code Drop Result of GPL Violation from OSNews, pretty self-explanatory, but quite interesting.

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject:

and this by linus:

Hugh Pickens writes
"In the aftermath of Microsoft's recent decision to contribute 20,000 lines of device driver code to the Linux community, Christopher Smart of Linux Magazine talked to Linus Torvalds and asked if the code was something he would be happy to include, even though it's from Microsoft. 'Oh, I'm a big believer in "technology over politics." I don't care who it comes from, as long as there are solid reasons for the code, and as long as we don't have to worry about licensing etc. issues,' says Torvalds. 'I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out.' Smart asked Torvalds if Microsoft was contributing the code to benefit the Linux community or Microsoft. 'I agree that it's driven by selfish reasons, but that's how all open source code gets written! We all "scratch our own itches." It's why I started Linux, it's why I started git, and it's why I am still involved. It's the reason for everybody to end up in open source, to some degree,' says Torvalds. 'So complaining about the fact that Microsoft picked a selfish area to work on is just silly. Of course they picked an area that helps them. That's the point of open source — the ability to make the code better for your particular needs, whoever the "your" in question happens to be.'"

from: http://slashdot.org/story/09/07/25/1757253/Linus-Calls-Microsoft-Hatred-a-Disease
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1