· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Sorting
Sorting

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudi
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Sorting

Sorting column with text then by column by date, don't sort the dates correctly.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject:

Please can you give a little more information about what you are trying to do. Are you talking about tables in Writer or about Calc?

In order for dates to be sorted correctly they need to be recognised as numbers. Before the data is entered the relevant cells need to be formatted correctly. In Writer select the table cells and use Table::Number Format… In Calc select the cells and use Format::Cells… to access the dialog you need to set this property. (If there is already date data in the cells which is being treated as text you may need to re-enter it to get it to be recognised as a date).

Is this enough to get you started?
Dudi
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject:

I am talking about Calc. I want to sort one column of text (names) and the other column (then by) to sort dates.

I understand from your answer that first I have to Format the column and then to key the dates, but in my case the dates are typed.

I will try later on to format first and then to type the dates.

thanks
David
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject:

If your dates have been entered in a format NeoOffice recognises, then they may already have been automatically formatted as dates. For the kind of sort you want to do, you may find it helpful to select the range of data to be sorted and then choose Data::Sort… which gives you a range of options for the sorting process.
Water
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject:

There may be General Default settings in the Options of NeoOffice, too that affect dates and sorting. Please search for sorting at neowiki.neooffice.org

You may have to recheck your System Preferences Date & Time and International control panels to verify and or set your preferred date format and so on, though, it may not affect any NeoOffice data, I am not sure, I haven't finished downloading the latest NeoOffice (3.0 and it's patches).

Annoying dancing banana
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Loss of Sort criteria between invocations.

I invoke sort and set two criteria, one in a reverse sort on number ranking and the second is a normal alphabetic title in my TV recordings DB (about 1100 plus desired.) That works, but if I come back on the same all columns selected but a different set of rows, it will in generally not have that sort but just the standard first column. A minor annoyance but I thought it did remember it retained in earlier versions. Running 3.0 patch 7 on a MacBook with 10.5.8. Thanks for your time.
-Ken
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1