· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc crash
Calc crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Calc crash

I had a crash in Calc. I can reproduce the crash easily, but I cannot attach the spreadsheet.

I will send it to Patrick personally. Just switch to the TTW_FA tab and page down. NeoOffice 3.0.1 EAP should crash immediately.

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Calc crash

ovvldc wrote:
I had a crash in Calc. I can reproduce the crash easily, but I cannot attach the spreadsheet.

I will send it to Patrick personally. Just switch to the TTW_FA tab and page down. NeoOffice 3.0.1 EAP should crash immediately.

Sorry Oscar, but you need to attach a sample document. As soon as you said the document was confidential, I deleted it without opening it from my e-mail as when you say something is confidential, to me that means I have no business seeing your data and it implies that I am now subject to some unknown non-disclosure terms. That is definitely not something that we are prepared to accept the risk for.

I suggest that you strip or replace any confidential content and post a sample document. Your crash indicates that the bug is occurring in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org chart code. Once we have a sample document attached to this forum, we can see if we can fix this OpenOffice.org bug.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject:

Actually, you may not need to attach an full Calc document as the crash lock is occurring in OpenOffice.org's OLE object loading code. What I would recommend doing is deleting all of the content in your document except the OLE objects and, if those are not confidential, post a sample document with only those.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Calc crash

pluby wrote:
Sorry Oscar, but you need to attach a sample document. As soon as you said the document was confidential, I deleted it without opening it from my e-mail as when you say something is confidential, to me that means I have no business seeing your data and it implies that I am now subject to some unknown non-disclosure terms. That is definitely not something that we are prepared to accept the risk for.

Patrick,

I think you misunderstood me. I could not upload the spreadsheet because the forum gave me an error that said the file had no size.

It is not confidential, just arcane and partially unpublished results from a publically funded research project.

I have lived in California, so I understand your sudden reaction to get away from my document. I am also happy that I don't live in such an environment Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Calc crash

ovvldc wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. I could not upload the spreadsheet because the forum gave me an error that said the file had no size.

You are right. I misunderstood.

You may have found a bug in the forum's attachment code so can you resend the document and I will try uploading in our test system and I can fix any errors that I encounter.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject:

Should be in your inbox already.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:

I found the reason that you cannot upload: we have code to prevent uploading excessively large files as attachments. In your case, the file is 3.8 MB in size and our servers limit that maximum attachment size to 1 MB. Server disk space like ours that is mirrored and backed up is very expensive (as well as the bandwidth to serve attachments) so we have to limit the file size. I will need to modify the Trinity code to detect when our Apache web server has rejected the attached content and display a "file too large" error instead of "zero file size" error.

As for your crash, I have bad news: I cannot reproduce it. On both Intel and PowerPC and using Mac OS X 10.4.11 and 10.5.8 for each machine, I clicked on the TTW_FA tab and when I press the Page Down key or click on the vertical scroll bar several times, I see the chart and no crash occurs.

Are there any other steps that I must do to trigger the crashing?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Ehm, I told it not to update links. And then I swtiched tabs and either used Fn-down arrow on my unibody macbook keyboard or I clicked on the middle of the scroll bar...

If you can't repeat it, I will have to let it go for now. The file itself is flaky, because Excel 2004 for Mac says it lost data on importing, and Office 2003 doesn't complain. I don't mess with it too much because it is pretty central to my Ph.D. thesis, but the fact is that it stretches memory management in Excel 2003 and possibly 2004.

Update: perhaps a file size warning is in order, either before uploading, or as a less cryptic error message.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Ehm, I told it not to update links. And then I swtiched tabs and either used Fn-down arrow on my unibody macbook keyboard or I clicked on the middle of the scroll bar...

I told it not to update links as well. The only difference that I can see is that you are using the Fn-down arrow whereas I used the Page Down key on my desktop keyboard.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the crash either. I tried both fn-Down and clicking the scroll bar on my MacBook Pro.

--fran
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject:

Well, in that case we must leave it be for now Sad.

-Oz
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Update: perhaps a file size warning is in order, either before uploading, or as a less cryptic error message.

FYI. I changed the attachment code in Trinity's phpNuke code to display its "attachment too large" error message if the file size is zero bytes as zero bytes usually indicates that the Apache web server has rejected the uploaded file because it is too large.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Oscar,

Although we cannot reproduce the crash, it would be nice to keep the file accessible in case you find some steps that make it reproducible in the futre.

So, can you uploaded it into NeoOffice Mobile? You can then share it with Fran and I (out NeoOffice Mobile accounts are "pluby" and "narf")?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Although we cannot reproduce the crash, it would be nice to keep the file accessible in case you find some steps that make it reproducible in the future.

Not much chance of me throwing out that file Smile.

pluby wrote:
So, can you uploaded it into NeoOffice Mobile? You can then share it with Fran and I (out NeoOffice Mobile accounts are "pluby" and "narf")?

It is giving me trouble at the moment. Will try later.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
It is giving me trouble at the moment. Will try later.

Is the file upload failing? If so, I wonder if we need to adjust the Apache file size upload limit.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum