Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Content Saved to iDisk Lost Upon Closing
Content Saved to iDisk Lost Upon Closing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Content Saved to iDisk Lost Upon Closing

I keep files on iDisk and regularly save directly from NeoOffice applications to my iDisk account. My MacBook Air is running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and using NeoOffice 3.0.1 the saved fill is OK when I inspect it before NeoOffice is closed but after it is closed the content of the saved file is removed leaving a bare file name. The first time this happened I actually lost the file I was editing. The second time, I had the sense to save a copy to my desktop as well. The problem does not seem to pertain to the copy saved to my desktop, only the iDisk copy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject:

In pre-release testing, we ran into a similar problem when exporting to image formats. In that case, NeoOffice's underlying native file locking code that we integrated from the OpenOffice.org 3.1 code was writing the file to disk and then replacing the file with an empty temporary file.

I suspect that you are seeing a similar bug so can you tell us what type of file you are saving to your iDisk? For example, is it a .odt, .doc, or other file extension?

Also, if you select the Tools :: Option menu and in the dialog that appears, select the Load/Save :: General item, is the "Always create backup copy" checkbox checked or unchecked?

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks pulby,

I was using the default ODS file formats (.odt and .ods).

The first time I was a bit bewildered because when I tried to retrieve the file a few hours later, it came up blank. The second time I checked the file after I had saved it to the iDisk to see if it had been saved blank. It seemed to be OK. Then I saved the file on my desktop using the save-as function. After I closed NeoOffice, the file on the desktop was OK but the file on iDisk was blank.

I did check the backup box, but only after I had lost the first file. Fortunately, the file was not critical and was easily replaced. Perhaps the early access version should come with the box checked by default for idiots like me!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject:

DB wrote:
I did check the backup box, but only after I had lost the first file. Fortunately, the file was not critical and was easily replaced. Perhaps the early access version should come with the box checked by default for idiots like me!

I don't think this is your error. Instead, I think you have found a very serious bug in the file locking code that we added in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access that only occurs with iDisk or similar remote volumes.

We will open a bug for this and I will try to see if I can reproduce this bug without an iDisk account. Once I determine what is causing this bug, I will fix it and post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject:

FYI: I have submitted bug 3553 to track this issue.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I have some bad news: this is an Apple bug. With Mac OS X 10.6.1, I cannot save a file to an iDisk volume from Apple's TextEdit application.

While we cannot fix Apple's bug, what we can fix is the silent save failure and truncating the file to zero bytes bug that you are seeing.

When I have that fixed, I will post a test patch.

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick,

I didn't mean I thought the problem was my fault, just that it was stupid not to set the backup function even though I am using a new, to some extent untested, version. That is why I thought the default backup setting might be a good idea.

I will be pleased to try your fix when it is finished.

Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. I found that Snow Leopard has a bug that causes and flock() unlocking calls to mangle any files that you are saving on a WebDAV volume.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick

This is the result I get with the patch: If I close NeoOffice text document after saving a file and then immediately click on the file's icon on iDisk, the file again appears in my editing screen. The fix apparently works. However, if I check the file using Finder, it reports Zero KB on disk and if I then save the file from iDisk to my Desktop, the file is blank. So there is still a problem.

Also, if I close just the file instead of closing NeoOffice, the program crashes.

Dick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject:

One additional thing: I tried saving a file to my iDisk from Pages in the native file format (.pages) and from Text Edit in .rtf and both trials were successful. So I did not get the same result as you.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject:

DB wrote:
Also, if I close just the file instead of closing NeoOffice, the program crashes.

Can you attach the last crash log? For me NeoOffice never crashed when I closed the document window so maybe the crash will give us some ideas what is happening on your machine.

You can obtain the last crash log by using the "Option B" steps in this NeoWiki article.

Once you find the crash log, you can attach it to this forum topic using the steps in this post.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject:

Please ignore my last post as I can now reproduce the same crashing and zero length file size as you.

One question: a can save a new .rtf file in TextEdit to an iDisk, but I cannot open an existing .rtf file, change it, and resave it. Do you get the same behavior?

If so, that is where the bug in NeoOffice is: we need to prevent overwriting existing files when using an iDisk on Snow Leopard.

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject:

Yes.

I do not use .rtf files very much, but I created one using Word 08, saved it to my desktop, moved it to my iDisk. It then loaded correctly in both Text Edit and NeoOffice. However, when I edited the file using Text Edit and saved it, the file turned blank. I then used spotlight to find some old .rtf files on my iDisk and experienced the same thing. The file loads, but if I edit and save it using Text Edit, it is voided.

I tried editing the .pages file I created earlier with Pages. No problem. I also tried editing an extant .doc file using both Word 08 and NeoOffice. No problem there either. Is this problem specific to some particular file formats? If so, I'm glad I do not have a lot of .rtf files. However I do have a lot of .odt files, so I better watch my step until this is fixed. I will also make a backup of my iDisk now.

Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:

DB wrote:
I tried editing the .pages file I created earlier with Pages. No problem. I also tried editing an extant .doc file using both Word 08 and NeoOffice. No problem there either. Is this problem specific to some particular file formats? If so, I'm glad I do not have a lot of .rtf files. However I do have a lot of .odt files, so I better watch my step until this is fixed. I will also make a backup of my iDisk now.

It appears that this problem is caused by some serious bugs that Apple's engineers added in Mac OS X 10.6. For whatever reason, some really basic file writing functions have been broken as a result of their attempts to make 10.6 "better" than 10.5.

Since Snow Leopard has made overwriting any existing files on iDisk or WebDAV volumes extremely unreliable, my approach is to disallow any overwriting of such existing files within NeoOffice. You will still be able to save to a new file on your iDisk, but any existing iDisk files will only in read only mode if you are running Snow Leopard.

I will post a test patch for you in the next hour or two.

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject:

Patrick

Here is the crash report from last night. I tried to duplicate the conditions to make it crash again, but without success (or would it be failure?).

Dick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum