Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - automatic horizontal window resizing fails
automatic horizontal window resizing fails

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: automatic horizontal window resizing fails

When changing the resolution of your screen to a lower setting, any open window should be resized automatically. This works well vertically, but fails horizontally. I'm using 3.0.1 EA on 32-bit intel 10.6. It may well be that it is a bug in Mac OS, I've noticed the bug to happen in other applications as well.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce this bug as well. However, there are two things that I see that confirm your suspicion that this is a Mac OS X 10.6 bug:

1. Both Safari and TextEdit suffer from this same bug

2. Mac OS X, not NeoOffice's code, is changing the window size

The second item is interesting because in previous verions of Mac OS X, Mac OS X posted a "screen parameters changed" event in each applications event queue. However, I noticed that when the screen resolution is reduced, NeoOffice, Safari, and TextEdit windows resized to fit the screens height, not its height minus the Dock.

This indicates that Mac OS X 10.6 is not posting any "screen parameters changed" events and Mac OS X is resizing the windows directly. I know this because when the NeoOffice code does any resizing, our code checks the Dock's position and size and ensures that the window will not fall behind the Dock.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Probably related to the 10.6 bug but more irritating is what happens when you do the following steps:
  1. Open a document on a high resolution monitor, maximise window size and set view to 100%
  2. Reduce resolution while doc is open
  3. close doc (cmd-w) without resizing its window
  4. reopen the same doc by doubleclicking in the Finder
After the last step you have your doc in a correctly sized window (i.e. matches the resolution) but the rendering of the doc in the window is not correct. There seems no way to correct the rendering other than reopening the thing.

I've seen the bug happening on different occasions as well, but failed to find the steps to reproduce it other than the sequence described above.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
After the last step you have your doc in a correctly sized window (i.e. matches the resolution) but the rendering of the doc in the window is not correct. There seems no way to correct the rendering other than reopening the thing.

I am not sure what you mean by "not correct". Can you tell us what specifically is not rendering correctly?

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "not correct". Can you tell us what specifically is not rendering correctly?
After the last step as described the window has a size corresponding to the reset resolution, but NeoOffice seems to think that the document window still has a size corresponding to the old resolution. As a result, the document is rendered off-centre without horizontal scroll bars.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps you could supply a screenshot to make your problems instantly clear?

Best wishes,
Oscar
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Perhaps you could supply a screenshot to make your problems instantly clear?

No need for that yet. I will be rebooting into Snow Leopard later this afternoon. I am stuck in Tiger right now because I have to do all compiling on Tiger (i.e. the earliest supported Mac OS X version).

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
Probably related to the 10.6 bug but more irritating is what happens when you do the following steps:
  1. Open a document on a high resolution monitor, maximise window size and set view to 100%
  2. Reduce resolution while doc is open
  3. close doc (cmd-w) without resizing its window
  4. reopen the same doc by doubleclicking in the Finder
After the last step you have your doc in a correctly sized window (i.e. matches the resolution) but the rendering of the doc in the window is not correct.

Thank you for providing a set of steps. I can reproduce this on Mac OS X 10.4.11. I will file a bug for this issue later today.

Gust wrote:
There seems no way to correct the rendering other than reopening the thing.

One other workaround is to resize the window by dragging the triangle in the lower right corner. After the window is resized the vertical and horizontal scroll bars appear.

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I have filed bug 3558 to track this issue. When there is progress made on the bug, it will be reported in this forum topic.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:

Fran,

narf wrote:
Thank you for providing a set of steps. I can reproduce this on Mac OS X 10.4.11. I will file a bug for this issue later today.

After debugging this all morning, I found that this same bug occurs in both OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 and 3.1.1 using your steps. Since this bug does not occur in NeoOffice 2.2.6 Early Access but occurs in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 and higher, it seems to me that this is an OpenOffice.org bug.

Are you not able to reproduce this bug with any OpenOffice.org version?

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Fran,
Are you not able to reproduce this bug with any OpenOffice.org version?

I made a mistake. This bug is reproducible in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 and OpenOffice 3.1.1. The horizontal scroll bar is missing after completing the steps. The OpenOffice.org window bled off the screen so I had initially thought the bug was not present in OpenOffice.org. I apologize for missing the key point (the absence of the horizontal scroll bar) when testing.

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic horizontal window resizing fails

Gust wrote:
When changing the resolution of your screen to a lower setting, any open window should be resized automatically. This works well vertically, but fails horizontally.

FYI: I have opened bug 3559 to track this issue.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic horizontal window resizing fails

narf wrote:
Gust wrote:
When changing the resolution of your screen to a lower setting, any open window should be resized automatically. This works well vertically, but fails horizontally.

FYI: I have opened bug 3559 to track this issue.

FYI. Fran filed this bug because while working on bug 3558 I found that that bug also occurred on Mac OS X 10.4.11 so I investigated further and I fixed this bug. After changing the resolution, the window will now resize itself to fit entirely within its current screen. Parts of the window may still fall behind the Dock after resizing, but as soon as you click on the window, it will resize again so that it does not overlap with the Dock.

I also fixed the OpenOffice.org code that was causing bug 3558. I was a bit bummed have spent all morning debugging the problem only to find that it was an OpenOffice.org bug. At that point, I figured throwing another couple hours was worth the risk. In this case luck was on my side and I found the OpenOffice.org code that triggered this bug.

Tomorrow, if there the forums are not too busy, I will attack the Command-` bug that you found as well as the hanging bug that I found while reproducing that bug. Once I fix those to bugs, I will post a test patch for you to try out.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed both of these OpenOffice.org bugs. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it these two bugs are fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix is included in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 2. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

Also, The fix is included in NeoOffice 2.2.6 Early Access Patch 2. You can download that patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

If you are not a member of the NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Program, the fix will be available in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release currently scheduled for 27 October 2009.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum