· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash while using base
Crash while using base

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Crash while using base

NO EA 3.0.1 Patch 2 crashed silently on me when I had a database open and a form within the database, and I was looking something up in Help. iBook 1.33 GHz 512 MB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11. When I relaunched NO I got the following message
Quote:
Either another instance of NeoOffice is accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked.
Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings.
Before continuing, you should make sure user 'myname' closes NeoOffice on host'[name]-00-14-51-21-46-54.home'.

Do you really want to continue?

I chose 'Yes' and everything seems to be OK at the moment.

Crash log attached.

James

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Do have any steps to reproduce this? From your crash log it appears that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is destroying a window that other parts of the OpenOffice.org code expect to still beshowing.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Wait. Your crash log indicates that you have the following system hack installed on your machine. System hacks inject their code into all running applications and we have found that bugs in some system hacks can cause applications like NeoOffice to hang, crash or otherwise behave incorrectly in unexpected places in the code:

/Library/InputManagers/SIMBL

Can you please disable this system hack, reboot your machine, and tell us if the crashing still occurs?

If the crashing still occurs, please post a new crash log as it is likely that the location of the crash will change without the system hack. Also, can you providea list of steps that we can use to trigger this crashing bug?

To disable this system hack, move the above folder to your Desktop and reboot. You can find the folder by double-clicking on the main volume icon on your desktop and, in the Finder window that appears, navigating down through the Library and InputManagers subfolders.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Hmm! Sorry about that - a leftover from Safari 'enhancement' of some kind (which I didn't like and got rid of).

I'll post here again if it happens again.

Thanks

James

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject:

As requested I removed /Library/InputManagers/SIMBL

I have now had a silent crash while I was editing a report in Sun Report Builder, but it hasn't generated a crash log - so that's not much help, I'm afraid Sad No data lost, though.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I have now had a silent crash while I was editing a report in Sun Report Builder, but it hasn't generated a crash log - so that's not much help, I'm afraid Sad No data lost, though.

Can you reproduce the silent crash? If so, please tell us the steps otherwise there is nothing we can do.

Also, are you sure that there isn't a crash log being added to your ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log? If not, are there any message if you open the /Applications/Utilities/Console application?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject:

One thing that I forgot to add is that I suspect that the Sun Report Builder is the cause of the crashing as we found it to be the cause of crashing bug 3439.

Does that help you narrow down a set of steps that precede the crashes that you see?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject:

Bother, it's done it again.

I was editing a report in report builder. I chose Select All, selecting a mixture of fields, labels and lines. Then I selected (by typing the name) Arial in the font chooser on the toolbar and pressed Enter. Then it crashed. Once again no crash log.

I lost the contents of the report I was making (but not the underlying data).

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Last edited by James3359 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject:

I typed this reply before you sent yours, but was delayed in submitting it by the arrival of our groceries! Report Builder does seem to be the culprit.
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject:

[quote="pluby"]
James3359 wrote:
Also, are you sure that there isn't a crash log being added to your ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log? If not, are there any message if you open the /Applications/Utilities/Console application?

Patrick
I've double checked the crash log and there is nothing added to it. In addition the crashreporter.log file shows nothing since yesterday evening.

There is this message in Console when I open it:
Quote:
Oct 13 12:41:09 james-richards-ibook-g4 configd[41]: SecKeychainItemCreateFromContent err= -2147417888 ( =0x800100e0, secErrStr=CSSM_NO_USER_INTERACTION ) (current= BTHomeHub2-KR6M)
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1
soffice.bin(429,0x1cb1400) malloc: *** error for object 0x19344260: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed, break at szone_error to debug
soffice.bin(429,0x1cb1400) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Debugger() was called!
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::beans::UnknownPropertyException'
soffice.bin(537,0x1c2dc00) malloc: *** error for object 0x1655afa0: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed, break at szone_error to debug
soffice.bin(537,0x1c2dc00) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::beans::UnknownPropertyException'

Is that any help?

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
Is that any help?

Unfortunately, all it tells me is that the Sun Report Builder code is using memory after it has already released such memory. In other words, their code has very serious issues. The problem is that the Console messages do not give any information as to where in the code their bad code is.

I tried to reproduce your silent crash by creating a database from my Mac address book. I then used the report wizard to create a simple report with all fields included. I then selected several labels and fields in the report design window and changed the font like you instructed and I have not been able to reproduce your crash.

Are you using fancy report layout or joining several tables? If so, is it possible to create a copy of your database but delete most of the data in your tables and attach a copy of the .odb file with a report in it that I can use to reproduce the crashing?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject:

I'll have a go at this when I get the chance, but it probably won't be for another 12-24 hours. Mind you I expect you've got plenty else to do!
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I'll have a go at this when I get the chance, but it probably won't be for another 12-24 hours. Mind you I expect you've got plenty else to do!

If you post it by tomorrow morning California time, I can take a look at it as I have no other unfixed crashing or hanging bugs in my queue. Also, since I was planning on releasing the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release to Early Access Members a week early, it would be nice to fix this bug if possible.

BTW, I was able to reproduce your first crash once but I have not been able to reproduce it a second time. When I encountered it, I had someone got the "Save/Discard/Cancel" dialog to display twice for the same report window that I was trying to close and clicking Discard on the second dialog triggered the crash.

Does that scenario sound like anything you saw before either of your crashes?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject:

I'm attaching a file, as requested. I have verified that the crash still happens with this reduced file. (I was not sure that I was going to be able to attach it as it was 2.8MB, but I discovered the wonderful "SHUTDOWN COMPACT" command which has reduced it to a mere 40KB!)

Here is a step by step which infallibly (for me) produces a silent crash without a crash log.
  • In the left hand 'Database' pane, choose 'Reports'
  • In the 'Tasks' pane choose 'Use Wizard to Create Report…'
  • Select fields SecondName1, FirstName1, Genre, Title, Class# and Class Descr for report
  • Make no changes to the offered label names
  • Select Genre and Class# for grouping levels
  • Select SecondName1 and FirstName1 for the 3rd and 4th fields to be sorted (Ascending)
  • Make no changes to layout or orientation
  • Choose 'Dynamic report' and 'Modify report layout'
  • Click 'Finish'
  • Select one item (e.g. a label) and then Cmd-A to select all items
  • In font box type Arial and press enter and Hey Presto! NeoOffice crashes

I'm afraid the crash you describe in your most recent post sounds nothing like what I have been experiencing - so you may have unearthed a different issue.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I'm attaching a file, as requested. I have verified that the crash still happens with this reduced file. (I was not sure that I was going to be able to attach it as it was 2.8MB, but I discovered the wonderful "SHUTDOWN COMPACT" command which has reduced it to a mere 40KB!)

That SQL command is very nice to know about. Smile

I can reproduce your crash so I will start debugging it. When I have more information to report, I will post an update.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum