Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Patch 2: Problem with Calc chart backgrounds
Patch 2: Problem with Calc chart backgrounds

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Patch 2: Problem with Calc chart backgrounds

I have a spreadsheet that includes a chart with a custom gradient as the background. Patch 2 has introduced a couple of problems with this. First, it doesn't seem possible to have any gradient other than Gradient 1 - dark to light grey: plain colors work ok. Second, formatting the Chart Wall actually alters the Chart Area and vice versa.

Regards, Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:

I am not sure how to reproduce what you describe so can you attach a sample document using the steps in this forum post that we can look at?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject:

I forgot to mention that one posssibility is that what you are seeing is an unintended result of my fix for OpenOffice.org crashing bug 3512.

Once you attach a sample document and I can reproduce what you are seeing, I can fine tune the fix for that other OpenOffice.org crashing bug so that it does not cause the bug you see.

Patrick
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject:

I can't get over just how quickly you guys respond to posts in these forums.

My original spreadsheet is too big to submit. Here is a quick illustration. I formatted the Chart Area as a plain colour, cyan. Then I formatted the Chart Wall as Gradient 4. As you can see - or at least, as I can see on my copy - the Chart Wall is cyan, the Chart Area is Gradient 1.

Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample file. That bug that you are seeing is definitely caused by my fix for OpenOffice.org crashing bug 3512.

I think that I have fixed this bug by refinding my fix for that crashing bug so that my fix for that bug only gets invoked for a very limited set of shapes.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if my fix works for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-2-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-2-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I forgot one important step to do after you install the test patch: double-click on the gradient in the Calc chart. Calc caches the chart wall gradient from the last time that you saved the chart so you need to double-click on the chart wall to force it to redraw with the settings that are actually in your chart.

After you force the chart to redraw its gradient, be sure to resave the Calc file to permanently fix the problem.

Patrick
rayjay
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Many thanks, Patrick: that's back to normal again. Incidentally, I see that one of my supposed mistakes wasn't one at all. How long have I been using Calc? And not until I came to look at this bug had I realised that the central area is the wall and the background is the area - I'd always assumed it was the other way round. Live and learn.

Again, many thanks. The service from Neo is astounding. I used to use a Write/Calc combination from another, commercial organisation. I even paid them $50 for a "lifetime upgrade plan". That was over five years ago and there's never been a significant upgrade in all that time! And comments I made to them all that time ago were "passed to our development guys" but never acted on.

Regards, Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject:

rayjay wrote:
Many thanks, Patrick: that's back to normal again. Incidentally, I see that one of my supposed mistakes wasn't one at all. How long have I been using Calc? And not until I came to look at this bug had I realised that the central area is the wall and the background is the area - I'd always assumed it was the other way round. Live and learn.

I actually had no idea that the chart wall was configurable until I saw your sample document. Even after working on NeoOffice for 7 years, I still find all sorts of new features in its underlying OpenOffice.org code.

rayjay wrote:
Again, many thanks. The service from Neo is astounding. I used to use a Write/Calc combination from another, commercial organisation. I even paid them $50 for a "lifetime upgrade plan". That was over five years ago and there's never been a significant upgrade in all that time! And comments I made to them all that time ago were "passed to our development guys" but never acted on.

Thank you for your kind words. Although we run on a shoestring budget, one of the benefits of having a small budget is that it forces us to constantly focus on what is most critical. We can't afford to staff a separate customer service department so the same people that fix bugs and implement features are usually the same people handling all of the support.

While our size limits the number of new features that we can add, it has seemed to helped us produce a very stable product. Since we do all coding and support, it really ensures that if we break something (as I did by trying to fix an OpenOffice.org bug in your case), we find out about our error very quickly. This allows us to immediately focus our attention on fixing the bug out and get a test patch out before the number of users affected by the problem grows significantly.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The fix has been included in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release. This release can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccessdownload.php?fragment=download

The above link is for NeoOffice Early Access Program members. Starting on 27 October 2009, all users will be able to download NeoOffice 3.0.1 for free.

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum