Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bug Report: Crashes When Saving to File Share
Bug Report: Crashes When Saving to File Share

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpas
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Bug Report: Crashes When Saving to File Share

NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 0

OS X 10.6.1 Intel on Macbook 6,1

When saving a document to a file share on a Mac Pro (Mac OS X 10.5.8, Intel MacPro3,1) using AFP, NeoOffice crashes.

This is easily reproducible with any new (Writer or Spreadsheet) document. Workaround is simple: save locally; drag and drop.

Crash log attached.

Thanks again for all the hard work.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I will try and reproduce this with Mac OS X 10.4.11 saving to a Mac OS X 10.5.8 volume to see if I can reproduce this on other versions of Mac OS X. We have seen NeoOffice crash in the past when saving to a remote volume using Mac OS X 10.6, but we thought this had been fixed.

I will report back with my findings in a day or so.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:

FYI. To give you some background, we found was that there was a bug in Mac OS X 10.6's Save dialog code that would cause not only NeoOffice, but other applications to crash. We did not fix anything as this was a known Mac OS X bug, not a NeoOffice bug.

We thought Apple had fixed this bug in Mac OS X 10.6.1, but maybe not. So, Fran will try to reproduce the bug using Mac OS X 10.4.11. If she can reproduce it on both Mac OS X 10.4.11 and 10.6.1, then it is likely our bug. But if it only occurs on Mac OS X 10.6.1, then most likely Apple has not completely fixed their original crashing bug.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I was able to reproduce a crash using NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 0 when saving from a Mac OS X 10.6.1 to a shared volume using AFP. I then added a test patch which was created for a different crash and I was then able to save to a remote volume without crashing.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this fix works for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

If NeoOffice 3.0.1 still crashes, attach a new crash log so we can see if the crashing occurs in the same location.

thanks,
--fran
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. To give you some background, we found was that there was a bug in Mac OS X 10.6's Save dialog code that would cause not only NeoOffice, but other applications to crash. We did not fix anything as this was a known Mac OS X bug, not a NeoOffice bug.

We thought Apple had fixed this bug in Mac OS X 10.6.1, but maybe not. So, Fran will try to reproduce the bug using Mac OS X 10.4.11. If she can reproduce it on both Mac OS X 10.4.11 and 10.6.1, then it is likely our bug. But if it only occurs on Mac OS X 10.6.1, then most likely Apple has not completely fixed their original crashing bug.

It seems that Apple has fixed some cases of the "Save dialogue crashes" in 10.6.1, but I can tell you from monitoring Mozilla crash reports that there are many cases where frame 0 is CFRelease or objc_msgSend and frame 1 is TFSInfo::~TFSInfo() that are still crashing quite often in 10.6.1.

Smokey

Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Still Crashes with Test Patch

Crash log attached.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject:

I will see if I can get the same crash with the test patch tomorrow.

What I do notice in both your crash logs is that the crash is not occurring in Mac OS X's TPSInfo code like the earlier remote volume crash so if I can reproduce this crashing with the test patch, I will investigate further.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject:

FYI: I have opened bug 3568 to track this crashing Apple OS X 10.6 bug.

--fran
gpas
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Another Crash

I do not know if this is related at all, but I've never had a crash NeoOffice before and this is the second one since moving to 3.0.1.

This happened when I simply closed a document--same Macbook, local file. Crash log attached.

Is it possible that this may be related to the test patch I installed? Should I roll back to the stock 3.0.1?

Geoff

P.S. Forgive me for putting potentially another bug on the same thread, but I thought it might be related to the test patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject:

This crash appears to be completely unrelated to the crash while saving to AFP volumes. I have found the cause of the saving to AFP volumes crash and it is definitely caused by a changes by Apple in how Mac OS X 10.6's save dialog behaves. I should have a test patch that fixes that bug sometime tomorrow.

In your latest crash, the crash is definitely occurring in the OpenOffice.org code and it looks very similar to this OpenOffice.org crashing bug that I had fixed before NeoOffice 3.0.1 was released.

Can you reproduce the crashing by reopening and closing any of the Writer documents that you had open at the time of crash?

In the other case that I fixed, the crashing was triggered by merely closing one specific Writer file. If you can find a Writer document that triggers this crash, can you please attach it?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject:

As I mentioned in my previous post, I found the cause of the crashing when saving to an AFP volume. This crashing was due to a very serious bug in the Mac OS X 10.6 save dialog. For some reason, when you select a directory on an AFP volume, the Mac OS X functions that NeoOffice uses to find out which directory you selected returns a "no directory selected" value.

Fortunately, I think that I have found a way to prevent this Mac OS X 10.6 bug from occurring and I have included my fix in the following test patch. Can you install the test patch and tell us if you can now save new files and overwrite existing files on an AFP volume?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-0-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-0-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
gpas
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Cannot Reproduce

I'm sorry, Patrick, but I can't seem to reproduce this.

I tried reverting to previous versions of the files I was working on, but I can't get it to crash.

All I can do is tell you what I was doing: I had a Writer document in which I was embedding OLE Drawing objects. I was having some trouble getting the right sizes, so I was playing around with Draw, as well as doing a lot of stuff with frames in Writer.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

Geoff
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Reproduce

gpas wrote:
I tried reverting to previous versions of the files I was working on, but I can't get it to crash.

Most likely you have hit a very rare OpenOffice.org crashing bug that has very specific, but non-obvious steps that trigger the crash.

In cases like these where you cannot reproduce it, I can only recommend that if it happens again, try to write down as many of the last steps that you did immediately before the crash, post those steps, and attach the document you were working on. Then we can try using your steps to figure out a way to reproduce the crash.

In the meantime, can you install the test patch in my previous post and tell us if I fixed the crashing when saving to an AFP volume bug for you?

Patrick
gpas
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I must apologize. When entering my last response, I realized that I only installed one of your previous patches Test-1. When I installed Test-2 I was, in fact, able to save to a file share. So it seems these patches do fix that particular problem.

If these two patches are supposed to work together might it be possible that only installing Test-1 created some instability that caused the second crash?

Geoff
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:

gpas wrote:
If these two patches are supposed to work together might it be possible that only installing Test-1 created some instability that caused the second crash?

I don't think so. Test-2 is really just Test-1 plus the code to work around the Mac OS X 10.6 save dialog bug. It is possible that the Mac OS X bug somehow results in your second crash, but that seems unlikely.

What really seems most likely is that your second crash is a real, but very hard to reproduce OpenOffice.org crashing bug. We have found and fixed many such bugs this year and I have no doubt that there are more still waiting to be found. The only thing that seems to change is that after I fix one OpenOffice.org crashing bug is that a longer amount of time passes before the next crashing bug is found.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2