Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - select text with mouse impossble with background picture
select text with mouse impossble with background picture

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahowi
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: select text with mouse impossble with background picture

I want to report a bug in neo 3.01 Patch 2, which persists as far as I remember for several neo versions.

When I have a writer document with a picture in the background, it is impossible to make a text selection by mouse.

Neither selecting text with pressed and held mouse button nor selecting by double or triple click works. Only selecting by keyboard is possible.

See attached document.

I didn't test it in OpenOffice, so I don't know, if it's a bug in the underlying OO code.

But I would appreciate a fix :-)

Thanks in advance
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:

This is actually not a bug. The problem is that you have placed a very large image object on top of the page, not in the background. Since the image object sits on top of the document's text, all mouse actions are captured by the image object.

The reason that keyboard actions work is because image objects are not textual objects so the the image object lets keyboard actions pass through to the text behind the image object.

What you need to do is set the image as the page's background using the following steps:

1. Remove the existing image object by click on the image and pressing the Delete key.

2. Reinsert the image from the original image file as the background for the page by selecting the Format :: Page menu. In the dialog that appears, click on the Background tab, select the original image file, select the Area radio button, and press the OK button.

3. The image should now be behind the text and the image will be scaled to the page margins. To scale the image back to the old size, adjust the page margins by selecting the Format :: Page menu. In the dialog that appears, click on the Page tab, adjust the margins (in your case set all margins to zero), and press the OK button.

4. Once you have the image to the desired size, insert or delete spaces, tabs, or lines to realign the text.

After you do the above steps, can you select text with the keyboard?

Patrick
mahowi
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject:

Thank you for your prompt answer. Everything works fine as you described it. Selection with keyboard or mouse is now possible.
It was my fault because I misunderstood the menu Wrap -> In Background in the context menu of the image. So I thought the image was behind and not on top of the text.

Now I have a great means to fill forms with Neo.

Many thanks
Marcus
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1