· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Writerperfect
Writerperfect

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Writerperfect

I recall Patrick was planning to include Writerperfect in an upcoming beta release. Now, Smokey, you wrote to me that 0.8 of the conversion library is under development, and much nicer than the 0.72 version.

In my boundless optimism I am hoping that the latest version will be ready just in time to effortlessly slide into a NeoOffice/J build just as Patrick squishes the last bug on his list for the Beta.

Smokey, any idea what the odds on this happening are Smile ?

Best wishes,
Oscar
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't know when libwpd 0.8 (WriterPerfect is the OOo filter interface to libwpd) will be released for sure; there are still things to be done AFAIK (WP Mac 3.5e support is yet to be enabled; Fridrich was looking in to it on last update).

As far as I understand how the process will work: Fridrich will (has already?) supply Patrick with a patch to build libwpd 0.8 and WriterPerfect 0.3(?) in NeoJ. The "current" patch (i.e. Fridrich's test run a month or so ago) pulls in a CVS snapshot tarball of libwpd 0.8 and WriterPerfect 0.3(?), and "NeoJ-WrPf" works nicely.

So assuming nothing is broken in 0.8 when we get to NeoJ 1.1 Beta, we'll get as advanced a 0.8 as there is at the moment, whether it's "final" or not. I don't know enough about how it will work, but I presume/hope that when 0.8 becomes final, Patrick can grab the new tarball, build NeoJ again, and distribute the new library with his latest patch (I presume he has to rebuild NeoJ anyway to produce the files he distributes in the patches).

(In addition to general improvements in importing .wpd files over 0.7.2, 0.8 adds basic WP Mac 3.x file support.)

Hope this answers any questions, at least to the best of my knowledge Smile

Smokey

(Which reminds me, I need to see about releasing 0.7.2 ad interim, if we are still a while away from Beta.... We've all been busy of late....)
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
So assuming nothing is broken in 0.8 when we get to NeoJ 1.1 Beta, we'll get as advanced a 0.8 as there is at the moment, whether it's "final" or not. I don't know enough about how it will work, but I presume/hope that when 0.8 becomes final, Patrick can grab the new tarball, build NeoJ again, and distribute the new library with his latest patch (I presume he has to rebuild NeoJ anyway to produce the files he distributes in the patches).

OK, that sounds better than I feared and almost as good as I hoped. I trust Patrick will build a new NeoOffice/J binary for distribution anyway. Now all I have to hope for is that 0.8 will be sort of stable in the coming weeks. Smile

sardisson wrote:
(In addition to general improvements in importing .wpd files over 0.7.2, 0.8 adds basic WP Mac 3.x file support.)

Lovely, but as a recent Windows convert, I am looking for WP 10+ support Smile. Still, it will be nice if the filter can eat everything, helping out people who are left with WP Mac files (which, IMHO, is a horrible OS9 app and scared me away as soon as I first started it).

sardisson wrote:
Hope this answers any questions, at least to the best of my knowledge Smile

Quite so! As for the interim release, it might be good for testing and finding bugs, but you already know my peeves with the 0.7.2. If you can organise something with a recent and fairly stable 0.8 libwpd build, I would be more interested and also able to give useful feedback. I don't know how other people feel about this.

Ciao,
Oscar
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject:

Check the status of bug 131 and say "Thank you, Patrick and Fridrich" Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject:

WriterPerfect will be in the next Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 patch as I got it fully integrated and working a few days ago.

FYI. Fridrich gave me a "libwpd-0.7.99.tar.gz" file which is what the patch will contain.

Lastly, since I finished adding mouse wheel support, I don't think we are that far away from a Neo/J 1.1 Beta release. I just need to fix the small number of unfixed bugs in Bugzilla and implement the following two items before Beta:

1. Optimize the font embedding when saving PDF files
2. Add drag-and-drop between Neo/J windows

Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. Fridrich gave me a "libwpd-0.7.99.tar.gz" file which is what the patch will contain.

Is that newer or older than version 7.2?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
WriterPerfect will be in the next Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 patch as I got it fully integrated and working a few days ago.

Thank you, Patrick and Fridrich!

pluby wrote:

I take it this is a not-quite-yet 0.8 version that is close to the current development version.

pluby wrote:
Lastly, since I finished adding mouse wheel support, I don't think we are that far away from a Neo/J 1.1 Beta release. I just need to fix the small number of unfixed bugs in Bugzilla and implement the following two items before Beta:

1. Optimize the font embedding when saving PDF files
2. Add drag-and-drop between Neo/J windows

Sweet!!

So not that many bugs found in the menu code? What I do still notice is that the Help files do not get a menu. But that should be no problem after these get converted to Mac help files (which will be nice anyway since the OOo help display system is pretty slow). Is that work going to be included?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject:

as i was the one working on the help files...

the answer to that one is no. life got in the way and i still haven't figured out CVS.

i'll get the files up somewhere, maybe an adventurous Perl programmer out there will come to my aid.

-j
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
as i was the one working on the help files...

the answer to that one is no. life got in the way and i still haven't figured out CVS.

Sad I'm sorry to hear that, Jacob. It would have been rather nice...

I hope life got in the nice way and not the my-father-died-lost-my-job-and-my-fiancee-left-me way Smile.

Ciao and best wishes,
Oscar
fridrich
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
pluby wrote:

Is that newer or older than version 7.2?

Just to specify. For the while the libwpd-0.7.99.tar.gz is feature complete as for the 0.8.0. Nevertheless, the version number is just given by me. Since this snapshot, there is a heavy libwpd API refactoring going on.

Nevertheless, in terms of features, only slight modifications (if any) will be made before 0.8.0. Needless to say that if you people find a big big problem with conversion, I will have a look at it and try to fix it.

Cheers

Fridrich
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject:

fridrich wrote:
Nevertheless, in terms of features, only slight modifications (if any) will be made before 0.8.0. Needless to say that if you people find a big big problem with conversion, I will have a look at it and try to fix it.

Actually, I have a file which only converts half way Sad. After the title in chapter 2, nothing else in converted. If you want it as a testcase, let me know where to send it. It is a WP10 file.

I also noticed that headings in the WP document aren't converted to styles. This easily fixed, of course, but it takes time.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Actually, I have a file which only converts half way Sad. After the title in chapter 2, nothing else in converted. If you want it as a testcase, let me know where to send it. It is a WP10 file.

I also noticed that headings in the WP document aren't converted to styles. This easily fixed, of course, but it takes time.

I meant to reply after Fridrich didn't; the libwpd folks use the AbiWord Bugzilla (assign to product libwpd) http://bugzilla.abisource.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=libwpd so you can post bugs and documents there, if you want.

Smokey
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject:

[quote="sardisson"]
ovvldc wrote:
I meant to reply after Fridrich didn't; the libwpd folks use the AbiWord Bugzilla (assign to product libwpd) http://bugzilla.abisource.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=libwpd so you can post bugs and documents there, if you want.

Hi Smokey,

Actually, I wrote to Fridrich on personal mail and sent him the documents and he sent a pretty long and friendly e-mail in reply. He asked me to test the 0.8 progress every now and then but also said the API is currently unstable.

Which now reminds me, I was going to ask you if you could let me know when there is a build that seems stable enough to try.

Best wishes,
Oscar
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

i'll get the files up somewhere, maybe an adventurous Perl programmer out there will come to my aid.

Hi Jake,

Did you find someone yet? Wink.

Best wishes,
Oscar
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Actually, I wrote to Fridrich on personal mail and sent him the documents and he sent a pretty long and friendly e-mail in reply.

That's Fridrich Smile I don't know where he gets all his hours in a day Smile (Sorta like Patrick and Ed!)

ovvldc wrote:
He asked me to test the 0.8 progress every now and then but also said the API is currently unstable.

Which now reminds me, I was going to ask you if you could let me know when there is a build that seems stable enough to try.

Yeah, Fridrich, Marc and William seem to be moving things around and committing new things a couple of times a day! Needless to say, I haven't built it for a while, so I'll let you know when things seem to settle down and I build it again--assuming nothing has changed that breaks the build on the Mac! Smile One of today's messages sounded like they were close to winding down the mass changes, so hopefully soon....

Smokey

P.S. How did those posts about help get intertwined in this thread Question Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2