Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Funny behavior of Neooffice 3.02 at insertion point
Funny behavior of Neooffice 3.02 at insertion point

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rene
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Funny behavior of Neooffice 3.02 at insertion point

Hi,

I got Neooffice 3.02 this morning. I observe a funny behavior while typing a text to modify it. The letters are not typed at the insertion bar, but one letter before (to the left) or one letter after (to the right). I have not been able to determine what condition makes it writing before or after. It seems to behave like that when the text is already on the full line. If I stard typing a new text on a new line, no problem appears.

Running OS X 10.5.8 on Powerbook Mac Intel 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks,

René
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:

Does this behavior only happen with a single font or does it happen with all fonts? To determine which is the case, can you highlight an entire paragraph, change the font to a different font, and then try inserting text in the same paragraph?

If the behavior stops, then can you tell us which font the behavior occurs with? If the behavior continues to occur, can you attach a document that has this problem so that we can try to reproduce the behavior on our machines? You can attach a document to your post using the steps in this forum topic.

Patrick
Rene
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the rapid answer.
I have tried Times New Roman and then Arial, both with size 14 and then 12.
It appears that the behavior is present whatever the font, but only in size 14 (I did not try other sizes).
With the size 14, when I move the insertion bar with the right arrow touch, the insertion bar does not jump on letter to the next, but sometimes one half letter. The problem seems correlated with this strange way the insertion bar moves depending on the size rather than on the font. WIth size 12 the insertion bar jump one letter each time.
In both case, the text is justified.

René (from Bordeaux, France)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject:

Rene wrote:
With the size 14, when I move the insertion bar with the right arrow touch, the insertion bar does not jump on letter to the next, but sometimes one half letter. The problem seems correlated with this strange way the insertion bar moves depending on the size rather than on the font. WIth size 12 the insertion bar jump one letter each time.
In both case, the text is justified.

I cannot reproduce this in any of my documents even if I set the font size to 14. Can you attach a sample document that I can use to try and reproduce this behavior?

Patrick
Rene
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject:

I did delete the preceding post to avoid letting the file on the net... as I have seen that you downloaded it already.
Let me know whether you need another exemple of text.

René
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:

Rene wrote:
I did delete the preceding post to avoid letting the file on the net... as I have seen that you downloaded it already.
Let me know whether you need another exemple of text.

I did not download any file from this forum topic. I also never saw any attachments in any of your posts.

You will need to post a sample document that is not confidential as this is a public forum and we cannot risk the liability of reading any confidential data. So, if your document is confidential, I would recommend that you create a non-confidential document by copying one of the paragraphs in your confidential document into a new document and then editing that paragraph so that any confidential data is removed. Then save and attach the new document.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject:

Before you go to the effort of creating a new document, can you tell me which characters appear to have the problem? For example, does this behavior happen when you have move the cursor through "fi", "fl", or some other pairs of characters?

Patrick
Rene
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject:

Sorry for the mismatch,

Here is the file. It was not really confidential, but this one has been changed (the text does not sound very coherent... but the problem with the insertion bar is still here).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample file. I can now reproduce the bug when I arrow through the "produire" word at the beginning of the fourth line.

It appears that this bug occurs when you set a paragraph to full-width justification. For some reason, the cursor is moving to where the characters would be if you were using left justification.

I will investigate the cause of this bug. Hopefully I will have a fix in the next few days. As soon as I have a fix for this bug, I will post a test patch so that you can test my fix.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject:

FYI: I have opened bug 3582 to track this bug.

-- fran
Rene
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot for looking at the problem.

Regards,

René
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-5-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Rene
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick,

I have installed the patch and tried it.
At first sight it looked much better. But I have found a case where the problem is still present.
I have attached a file with just two lines of text (with the same format as the previous file). Look at the first line. It is left-justified, but you can see that there is a lot of free space in the line (due to the long word at the beginning of the second line).
If you move the insertion bar with arrow along this first line you can see that it jump not from one letter to the other, but sometimes stop on the middle of a letter.
Sorry...

René
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject:

Rene wrote:
If you move the insertion bar with arrow along this first line you can see that it jump not from one letter to the other, but sometimes stop on the middle of a letter.

I cannot reproduce what you are seeing. When I open your sample document in Mac OS X 10.5.8 and arrow through the first line, the cursor always falls between the characters.

Can you attach a screen snapshot of the text and the document's status bar by making the document the active window, pressing Command-Shift-4, and then dragging the mouse over the text and status bar? This should create a new "Picture*.png" file on your Desktop that you can attach.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Please ignore my post as I think that I can now reproduce it. By selecting the View :: Nonprinting Characters menu, the bug reappears.

I will work on fixing this remaining bug. In the meantime, can you tell us if you have the the View :: Nonprinting Characters checked? If so, does unchecking the menu stop the bug from occurring?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum