· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - eps graphics
eps graphics

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: eps graphics disappearing again

danmac wrote:
I assume that means that the eps problem is not a bug, but just many processes going at once?

You are close. The problem is that the processes you have running have, in total, opened too many files at once. In other words, one or more of the process you have running are opening a lot of files and are hogging the total pool of files that Mac OS X limits you to opening.

Nevertheless, I would like to double-check my conclusion just to make sure that the problem is not due Mac OS X imposing some special limit on each process.

I have uploaded the following test patch that will print a message in the Console application when while NeoOffice is launching. Can you install the following test patch and paste any messages that appear in the Console window when you launch NeoOffice? The message will tell us what limits Mac OS X has placed on NeoOffice and I can then compare those limits to the limits in your previous post:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-2-File-Limits-Intel.dmg

Patrick
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: eps graphics disappearing again

Thanks for continuing trying to help me. Here is the console log after installing the patch and starting NeoOffice.

3/7/10 10:23:03 AM Installer[20206] Package /Volumes/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-2-File-Limits-Intel/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-2-File-Limits-Intel.pkg uses a deprecated pre-10.2 format (or uses a newer format but is invalid).
3/7/10 10:25:16 AM [0x0-0x1be1be].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[21470] objc[21470]: Class AWTFont is implemented in both /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/../basis-link/program/libvcljava2.dylib and /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries/libawt.jnilib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
3/7/10 10:25:19 AM [0x0-0x1be1be].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[21470] Number of files limits: 10240 -1
3/7/10 10:25:29 AM soffice.bin[21470] JavaNativeFoundation: GetGlobalVM: JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs() failed to get any VM.
3/7/10 10:25:30 AM soffice.bin[21470] Application will become active - Using remote controls
3/7/10 10:25:38 AM soffice.bin[21470] Application will resign active - Releasing remote controls

Darryl
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: eps graphics disappearing again

danmac wrote:
3/7/10 10:25:19 AM [0x0-0x1be1be].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[21470] Number of files limits: 10240 -1

The above output indicates that Mac OS X is not imposing any special limit on the number of files that NeoOffice can open. Mac OS X is giving NeoOffice full access to the total pool of files that applications can open so my conclusion has not changed: the problem is that that one or more of the applications that you are running are sometimes hogging most of the pool of files that applications can open.

Patrick
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: eps graphics disappearing again

Thanks Patrick. Now the problem is to discover which is the culprit. I guess I'll just have to start quitting/uninstalling until I find the one causing the problems. One thing though, more than half of the running processes seem to be system files.

One unrelated problem: somewhere along the line of trying to get to the bottom of this problem, I seem to have lost the Thesaurus. I'm positive it was active when I installed 3.0.2, but now it is grayed out in the menu (along with the Hangul and Chinese options -- not that I need them). The Thesaurus is selected in the Language Settings.

Darryl
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: eps graphics disappearing again

danmac wrote:
One unrelated problem: somewhere along the line of trying to get to the bottom of this problem, I seem to have lost the Thesaurus. I'm positive it was active when I installed 3.0.2, but now it is grayed out in the menu (along with the Hangul and Chinese options -- not that I need them). The Thesaurus is selected in the Language Settings.

Are you sure that the "too many files" problem isn't the cause? The thesaurus is a set of files and if NeoOffice couldn't open them for any reason, it will be disabled until you restart NeoOffice.

The other thing to check is that you have set the language of the text in your document to the same language as your thesaurus. NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code allows you to set different languages to different sections of text in your document.

To check the language of a particular section of text, highlight the text and select the Format :: Character menu. In the dialog that appears, click on the Font tab, make sure the language is the same as the language of the thesaurus you have installed, and press the OK button.

Patrick
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: eps graphics disappearing again

Doh! (picture me smacking my forehead). The text language setting! Why didn't I think of that.

I think I'll just fade into the background now and let you get on with more important work.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Darryl
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: eps graphics

I'm still having trouble with eps graphics disappearing. I've had to resort to using tiff and png files.

Just one question, why is it only eps graphics that cause problems? The same problem occurs in OpenOffice 3.2 for Mac. I don't have this problem with any other program. I can have many files open in InkScape with no problem at all. No other program I use that handles graphics has this problem.

Cheers,
Darryl
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: eps graphics

danmac wrote:
Just one question, why is it only eps graphics that cause problems? The same problem occurs in OpenOffice 3.2 for Mac. I don't have this problem with any other program. I can have many files open in InkScape with no problem at all. No other program I use that handles graphics has this problem.

When you last posted to this thread, it was clear that the problem Mac OS X is not letting NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org open files because you are hitting the maximum open files limit that Mac OS X has set.

I suspect that InkScape does not hit cause you to hit that Mac OS X limit because it can natively handle vector graphics files like EPS or PDF. In contrast, NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org Writer do not handle any vector graphics files natively so both applications must use several Mac OS X EPS load and convert functions to render EPS images. It appears that those Mac OS X functions open lots of temporary file and, as a result, you hit the Mac OS X limit.

Since we are stuck using the Mac OS X EPS load and convert functions for the foreseeable future, your only real solution is to avoid hitting the Mac OS X maximum open files limit.

Unfortunately, doing that will require tuning your Mac OS X installation and, if not done correctly, could potentially render your machine unbootable so I would recommend that you continue using your existing workaround of using bitmap image files like .tiff and .png files.

Patrick
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: eps graphics

Thanks for the reply, Patrick. I understand.

Do you think there will ever be native support for vector graphics, in particular the svg format?

Cheers,
Darryl
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: eps graphics

danmac wrote:
Do you think there will ever be native support for vector graphics, in particular the svg format?

NeoOffice 3.0.2 currently has some native .svg and .pdf support. You can open both files in Draw and you can insert an .svg file in a Writer document.

Be aware, however, that although there is native support for these formats, the support for these formats was only recently added in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code so you may find that some files may not always import perfectly.

Edit by pluby: if you decide to test NeoOffice's .svg support, I would recommend that you wait until we release NeoOffice 3.1.1 Beta on 6 April 2010. NeoOffice 3.1.1 Beta uses the newer OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code and that newer code may import .svg and .pdf files better.

Patrick
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: eps graphics

As you pointed out, the current 'native' support for svg leaves a lot to be desired. I have tried several times to insert an svg graphic. Every time, NeoOffice hung and I had to force quit.

I guess eventually there'll be reliable support; soon I hope.

Cheers,
Darryl
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: eps graphics

danmac wrote:
As you pointed out, the current 'native' support for svg leaves a lot to be desired. I have tried several times to insert an svg graphic. Every time, NeoOffice hung and I had to force quit.

Since you mentioned that you had OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 installed, I am curious if OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 can handle .svg files any better than NeoOffice.

I am curious because later this year we will likely upgrade NeoOffice to use the OpenOffice.org 3.2.x code. NeoOffice 3.0.2 uses the much older OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code and NeoOffice 3.1.1 Beta (which we just released today through the NeoOffice Early Access Program uses the slightly old OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code.

Patrick
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: eps graphics

I just tried to insert an svg graphic into an OpenOffice 3.2.0 text document and there isn't an svg option in the graphics formats listed. svg files in my graphics folder appear grayed out in the insert dialog box. So it seems that OpenOffice doesn't support svg at all unless there's something that I'm doing wrong.

I tried the same thing in NeoOffice 3.1.1. It can manage to insert the svg file, but the graphic is surrounded by a black background that almost fills the page. It seems like there's a long way to go before we have svg support.

Cheers,
Darryl
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Since the .svg images are not going to work as a substitute for .eps images, I did some testing of NeoOffice 3.1.1 Beta (the version that we released yesterday) using your attached file.

I was testing to see if the number of files that NeoOffice has open increases dramatically when opening, printing, or exporting to PDF a document that .eps images in it.

In all three cases, NeoOffice only opens a couple of temporary files momentarily and then immediately closes them. In other words, there is no spike in the number of files that NeoOffice has open.

Since there is no spike in the number of open files, my testing confirms my orginal conclusion that some other application is holding open a huge number of temporary files but only for a short period of time.

It is possible that NeoOffice 3.1.1 Beta's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code keeps a few less temporary files open than NeoOffice 3.0.2's older OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code so you may want to test NeoOffice 3.1.1 Beta.

NeoOffice 3.1.1 Beta definitely won't solve your problem as the problem is caused by another application, but the few less temporary files that it keeps open may free up just enough capacity to stop NeoOffice from hitting the Mac OS X maximum open files limit.

Lastly, I did my testing on Mac OS X 10.6.3 so if you have installed any Mac OS X system updates recently, I would recommend that you install any such updates by selecting the Apple :: Software Update menu as it may be that Mac OS X 10.6.3 behaves better than Mac OS X 10.6.2.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
danmac
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: eps graphics

Just an update to my recurring eps problem.

I had some troubles with the MacBook I use at work (mainly through my own stupidity!) and had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the system. At present the only installed non-Apple software is NeoOffice and DropBox. I still have the vanishing eps graphic problem.

I guess that proves that it is a problem with the system and NeoOffice, and therefore, there is no hope for fixing it.

Darryl
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4