Ability to tile multiple Writer document windows

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Patrick, could you describe how the implementation would function from a user's perspective? The discussion is interesting but I don't fully understand how the feature would work.

A new Window :: Tile menu would be added in Writer. When that menu is selected, all open documents will be resized to equal sizes and positioned edge to edge (that is, tiled) on the screen. For example, if 2 document windows were open, selecting the new menu would position the 2 documents side-by-side. This behavior was a common menu item in Windows applications back in the Windows 3.1 and 95 days.

Please note that we are not discussing the "split a single document window" new feature request. That new feature request is being discussed in this forum topic.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the description. +1 from me.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject:

(I added "tile windows" to the title of this topic to help people who might be search for those terms, and to help distinguish between splitting the window in Writer, which Patrick mentioned is another topic.)
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
(I added "tile windows" to the title of this topic to help people who might be search for those terms, and to help distinguish between splitting the window in Writer, which Patrick mentioned is another topic.)

It looks like the forum software truncated most of your text so I went ahead and changed the title of the forum to fit within the forum software's maximum title length.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
It looks like the forum software truncated most of your text so I went ahead and changed the title of the forum to fit within the forum software's maximum title length.

:sigh: Thanks, Patrick. I fit it within the number of characters it allowed me to type in the box, but I forgot that gets further truncated after that Sad

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject:

OK. We now have 6 donors in favor of it so we only need 14 more donors to vote for it.

BTW, after thinking about how to implement this new feature should enough donors vote for it, I realized that limiting this feature to only Writer documents is actually more difficult than making it apply to all documents so should we implement this, the Window :: Tile Windows menu will be available no matter what type of document is active.

Also, in addition to the Window :: Tile Windows menu, I think there should also be a Window :: Stack Windows menu so that you can undo tiling of the windows. This menu would change the size of all windows to the default window size, center the windows, and stack them on top of each other similar to what happens when you open a new empty document.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2