NeoOffice :: View topic - Minor website changes
Minor website changes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Minor website changes

In anticipation for the NeoOffice 3.1.1 release, I did some minor cleanup of the main website. Mostly I just changed the background areas to have rounded corners but since there can be a ripple effect whenever I make any changes, please post if you notice anything that looks odd or incorrect.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I made some more changes to the main website. I really felt that too much of the background was white and that made the site a bit hard on the eyes so I spent a few hours and made the following changes:

1. Softened the blue and yellow colors used in the highlighted areas
2. Replaced the white background in non-text areas with a light gray gradient

Please let me know if you find anything broken after these small changes.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I"m sure it would be possible to nitpick... but I just wanted to say that this is a huge improvement visually (IMHO)

James

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I"m sure it would be possible to nitpick... but I just wanted to say that this is a huge improvement visually (IMHO)

Tim deserves a lot of the credit as I merely copied a lot of the layout changes he had already done in the NeoOffice Mobile pages.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I second what James says; nice work, Patrick and Tim Smile

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Pleasantly surprised upon arrival at the website today. Very classy looking. I bet it really pops on a 'retina display.' Smile seems to look fine on safari 5 and firefox 3.6.3
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Much better Very Happy

I just wonder whether maybe a little additional width would help though? It looks pretty narrow on my 1680x1050 display, despite the Safari window using only about 75% of the display width.

Only example I can think of right now: http://handbrake.fr

Which is only slightly wider but feels less empty, even in Chrome which is set to uses all available width.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I just wonder whether maybe a little additional width would help though? It looks pretty narrow on my 1680x1050 display, despite the Safari window using only about 75% of the display width.

Hey now, not all of us have super-gigantic display resolutions and super-wide windows Razz It fits just nicely inside my window (where the lines of text look like they're on the long side already).

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Samwise wrote:

Hey now, not all of us have super-gigantic display resolutions and super-wide windows Razz It fits just nicely inside my window (where the lines of text look like they're on the long side already).

Smokey

Hard to come by anything smaller in the desktop world nowadays (at least as far as I can see).

Now thanks to Apple, high-res displays are largely unavailable on all but the most expensive Macbook Pros Smile

Note that, since these new 16:9 display panels started popping up, it seems high-res displays are harder to come by in the PC laptop world as well - of course, with prices being that incredibly low, high-end (hem) laptops with reasonable display resolution are actually affordable.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject:

I had a look at the Dutch version and there's some untranslated bits and a few little errors. See below.

Quote:
NeoOffice Mobile now saves last 10 versions of each file

NeoOffice Mobile users can now view significantly more previous versions of each file. Before this change, NeoOffice donors could only view the 2 most recent versions of each file but now NeoOffice donors can view the 10 most recent versions of each file saved in NeoOffice Mobile

This last sentence is rather repetitive. I translated it below (the text is the same as on the features page) as
Code:
but this is now expanded to 10 versions.

There's also an error in the header. The bit:
Quote:
Mac OS X-eigen tekstmarkering in NeoOffice Mobiel

Is wrong, as you copied the next sentence into it. It should be:
Code:
Verbeteringen in NeoOffice Mobiel

On the page http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/nl/features.php#newfeatures, under the New Features heading:

Code:
Deze uitgave biedt een aantal verbeteringen voor _NeoOffice Mobiel_

* NeoOffice Mobiel bewaart nu de laatste 10 versies van ieder bestand.

NeoOffice Mobiel gebruikers kunnen nu veel meer eerdere versies van ieder bestand bekijken. Voor deze verandering konden NeoOffice donoren alleen de laatste 2 versies van ieder bestand bekijken, maar dat is nu uitgebreid tot 10 versies.

Zoals in de volgende schermafbeelding is te zien; als een NeoOffice donor inlogt in zijn/haar NeoOffice Mobiel account, een bestand kiest en dan het menu "eerdere versies" kiest, worden de meest recente 10 versies van het bestand weergegeven. Deze kunnen allemaal worden bekeken of opgehaald.

*Het NeoOffice Mobiel venster kan worden ingeklapt

Omdat het NeoOffice Mobiel venster een zwevend venster is kan het gemakkelijk een hoop schermruimte vullen. Om gebruikers te helpen om het NeoOffice Mobiel venster makkelijker uit de weg te halen zorgt het aanklikken van de groene "vergroten/verkleinen" knop in de titelbalk van het NeoOffice Mobiel venster er nu voor dat het venster inklapt.

*Het NeoOffice Mobiel venster gebruikt minder ruimte in de menubalk.

Sommige NeoOffice gebruikers merkten dat het NeoOffice Mobiel menu andere menu's van de menubalk verdreef op Macs met een klein scherm. Om dit tegen te gaan is het "NeoOffice Mobiel" menu verkort tot "Mobiel".

*Mac OS X mogelijkheden

This last sentence is the untranslated heading for the next section.

Also, the grammer check header at the bottom of the page has an untranslated bit in parenthesis that should read:
Code:
(Alleen voor Mac OS X 10.5.x en later)

On the page http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/nl/contact.php

Quote:
Bekijk onze site is gratis en in de meeste gevallen is de snelste manier om een antwoord te vinden op uw probleem om een korte beschrijving in te voeren in het tekstveld bovenaan deze pagina en de knop Search NeoOffice.org die er naast staat aan te klikken.

Seems to have lost some words and interpunction. This would be better as

Code:
Het bekijken van onze webstek is gratis en in de meeste gevallen is de snelste manier om een antwoord te vinden op uw probleem. U doet dit door een korte beschrijving in te voeren in het tekstveld bovenaan deze pagina en de knop Search NeoOffice.org die er naast staat aan te klikken.

Then in the second section:

Code:
Gebruiker die €19 (of US$25 of £15 of CA$29 of AU$31)  of meer hebben _gedoneerd_ in het afgelopen jaar kunnen in ieder van onze NeoOffice fora. Daarnaast kunnen _NeoOffice Mobiel_ gebruikers die €8  (of US$10 of £6 of CA$12 of AU$13) of meer hebben gegeven in het afgelopen jaar berichten achterlaten in onze _NeoOffice Mobiel_ fora.

U kunt uw giften van het afgelopen jaar zien door uw _account profiel_ te bekijken. Als u denkt dat er giften van het afgelopen ontbreken raden wij u aan om eerst te controleren dat u giften zijn gekoppeld aan uw account. U kunt uw giften aan uw account koppelen door uw _donatie voorkeuren_ in te vullen.

And in the third section:

Quote:
Unfortunately, our very limited donations only provides enough funding for one full-time developer which limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a stable version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X. Because of these limits, fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope.

I suggest splitting the sentence at 'which'. Dutch translation as follows:

Code:
Helaas hebben we met de kleine hoeveelheid giften slechts genoeg geld voor één voltijds ontwikkelaar. Dit beperkt de omvang van het NeoOffice project tot het werken houden van een stabiele versie van OpenOffice.org op Mac OS X. Vanwege deze beperking valt het repareren van fouten in OpenOffice.org daar buiten.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Oscar,

Thank you for the translations. I have posted your changes to the main website and I have also made your suggested English changes wherever they occur on the website.

Please let me know if you see any errors and want me to post any other changes.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Oscar,

Thank you for the translations. I have posted your changes to the main website and I have also made your suggested English changes wherever they occur on the website.

Please let me know if you see any errors and want me to post any other changes.

Patrick

In general, looking very good Smile. Glad to be of help.

I could have sworn the second paragraph of the third section on the contact page was already translated, but I will try to get to it some time later.

There's also an untranslated bit about donation refunds which I will do then.

Best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject:

Remaining translation work. One paragraph in three pages each.

In http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/nl/contact.php

Code:
Daar betrouwbaarheid een van onze meest belangrijke doelstellingen is proberen we iedere kritieke fout of geval van vastlopen te repareren, ook als deze voor de onderliggende OpenOffice.org code wordt veroorzaakt. Als u voor _voorkeursondersteuning_ in aanmerking komt en een fout tegen komt die vastlopen veroorzaakt, neem dan een momentopname of diagnostisch rapport en voeg dat bij een _NeoOffice Support forum_ bericht zoals in _deze instructies_ is beschreven.

in http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/nl/faq.php

Code:
=Ik heb een probleem. Hoe kan ik hulp vinden?=

Als u problemen ondervindt kunt u op de _NeoOffice Ondersteuning pagina_ een lijst vinden met aanbevelingen om problemen zo snel mogelijk op te lossen.

in http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/nl/donate.php

Code:
Als er een probleem is met u gift en u wilt deze terug ontvangen, stuur dan e-mail naar *donationrefunds at neooffice punt org* en dan storten wij uw donatie terug. Schrijf alstublieft ook "Refund Request" en het bedrag van uw gift in uw e-mail zodat we het terugboeken zo snel mogelijk kunnen uitvoeren.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the translations. I have put all three of them on the main website.

Can you check the first translation on the support page and let me know if I put the NeoWiki crash log link in the right place? Your wording is slightly different than the English text so I had to guess where to put that link.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject:

You nailed it Smile

-Oz

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2