NeoOffice :: View topic - Master Documents
Master Documents

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Master Documents

Hi again after a loooong time. I've seen many differences in the support forum and I was surprised but I know the reason for this choise.

I want to address Patrick to a very annoyng bug I've seen using Master Documents.
Since the release of 3.1.1 version when I open a master document, answering YES to "updating all links" (I'm not sure the exact message in english since I'm using the italian localization of NO) will crash the application.

If I answer NO the document opens and to see the content I have to do an "update all" from Tools -> Update -> Update All or hitting on the icon in the Navigator windows.

Hope my request is clear.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject:

Can you please attach a copy of the crash log that Mac OS X displays after the crash? A crash log will help us troubleshoot the problem by telling us exactly where in the NeoOffice code the crash is occurring.

To obtain the crash log, use the steps in this NeoWiki article. Then, when you have the crash log in a file, attach the crash log file to your reply using the steps in this forum post.

Fran
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice 3.1.1. Patch 0, Mac OS X 10.6.3 Intel processor
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject:

Can you install the latest test patch and see if the crashing behavior still occurs? The latest test patch fixes crashing bug 3603. Below are links to the latest test patch:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-11-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-11-PowerPC.dmg

If the crashing occurs in the latest test patch, your crash log indicates that you have the following system hack on your machine. System hacks inject their code into all running applications and we have found that bugs in some system hacks can cause applications like NeoOffice to hang, crash or otherwise behave incorrectly in unexpected places in the code:

/Library/InputManagers/Ecamm

NeoOffice should not crash, so can you try disabling this system hack, rebooting your machine, and tell us if the crashing still occurs?

If the crashing still occurs, please post a new crash log as it is likely that the location of the crash will change without the system hacks.

To disable this system hack, move the above folder to your Desktop and reboot. You can find the folder by double-clicking on the main volume icon on your desktop and, in the Finder window that appears, navigating down through the Library and InputManagers subfolders.

Fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:

Your crash log indicates that the crash is occurring in the exact same place as the crash reported in this post.

Like you, that poster was not running the latest test patch and they had a system hack on their machine so I definitely recommend that you following narf's step and install the test patch. If the test patch does not fix the problem, then disable the system hack and post a new crash log if the crashing still occurs.

Patrick
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject:

I have removed iGlasses (and ecamm) from my computer, rebooted it but I still have the crash. See the attached file.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
I have removed iGlasses (and ecamm) from my computer, rebooted it but I still have the crash. See the attached file.

Did you install the latest test patch as well?

Patrick
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Yes Patrick, I did it.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject:

OK. Since installing the test patch and disabling the system hack does not fix the problem, is it possible for you attach a zip file with a sample master document and chapter files that I can use to try and reproduce this crashing bug?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
OK. Since installing the test patch and disabling the system hack does not fix the problem, is it possible for you attach a zip file with a sample master document and chapter files that I can use to try and reproduce this crashing bug?

If you cannot attach a sample document, can you tell us if you notice anything unique in your master document or the type of files that it links to?

I ask this because when I created a master document with a single section linked to a simple Writer file, there was no crash when I reopened the master document clicked "Yes" when I was asked to update the links.

This makes me think that a particular type of linked file or type of object in the linked file is what triggers this crashing.

Patrick
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject:

I tried creating a new master document with 3 sub-documents (odt and swx file, with different page layout in the same master document) and everything seems to be OK.
But when I try with my old master documents (and I tried with about 20 of them) I obtain the same error I describe yesterday. So I attach a zipped file of one of my master document so you can have a look.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample master document. Using your document, I can reproduce the crash in both NeoOffice 3.1.1 and OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 (the version of OpenOffice.org that NeoOffice is based on) so this bug is definitely caused by a bug in the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code.

Normally we do not fix OpenOffice.org bugs. However, since this is a crashing bug and stability is very important to us, I will attempt to fix this OpenOffice.org bug.

I will start investigating the bug and if I find the cause, I will fix it and post a test patch with the fix that you can try. It will probably take a few days to find the cause but I will post again when I have some news to report.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject:

FYI: I have opened bug 3609 to track this issue.

Fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I think I have fixed this bug. I found that the OpenOffice.org engineers fixed this bug in OpenOffice.org 3.2 so I found their code changes and backported them into the NeoOffice code.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-12-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-12-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanx a lot Patrick, pathc-test-12 does fix the problem.

Thanks again!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2