NeoOffice :: View topic - Ligatures & PDF problem
Ligatures & PDF problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Ligatures & PDF problem

OSX 10.6.4, NeoOffice 3.1.1 patch 2

I've got a NO doc that I exported to a PDF file. If I use Garamond Premier Pro, the word 'fish' gets exported with an extra space after the fi ligature. If I switch to e.g. Georgia, the space isn't there.

See attached files (and excuse the surreality of the comments).

*edit* I note that the Garamond PDF is also mysteriously huge compared to both the other versions.
*further edit* I also not that this problem doesn't occur if I use the OSX Print to PDF route, so the issue is somewhere in Neo/OOo's PDF export code.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject:

We were already discussing this in this post.

The basic problem is that the Garamond Premier Pro font is not a font that I can get a free copy of as it is a font bundled with Adobe CS4. We do not have an Adobe CS4 license nor do we have spare funds to purchase it so unless someone donates a license to us, I am not sure we can do any further investigation and all that I can do is recommend that you don't use the Garamond Premier Pro font in your documents.

If you find the bug occurs with a font that is bundled with Mac OS X, then we can investigate.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject:

Although I have no way to reproduce this, there is one thing that you can do that will tell us if this is a new problem or not. Can you download and reinstall NeoOffice 3.1.1 and don't install any patches.

Does the problem go away? If so, then my best guess would be that what you are seeing is caused by my "negative glyph widths" fix for bug 3621 that I released in Patch 2 and I can take a guess at some possible ways to fix this without needing Adobe CS4.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject:

I'll try that - meanwhile, no sweat, the workaround is to use the OSX Print to PDF - which for a change, makes a smaller PDF than the Neo Export to PDF does.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject:

Same behaviour in redownloaded & reinstalled NO 3.1.1 without any patches. Not limited to the fi ligature, also following other ligatures such as Th.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Same behaviour in redownloaded & reinstalled NO 3.1.1 without any patches. Not limited to the fi ligature, also following other ligatures such as Th.

What seems strange is that you do not see this miskerning in your document on the screen.

Since this does not occur when printing to PDF, can you reinstall the latest patch (or test patch) that you had installed, then print to PDF, and attach that PDF? I can then compare that PDF to your earlier PDF to see if there is some pattern.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have found a possible fix for this bug. I found that the OpenOffice.org PDF export code had one small difference from NeoOffice's screen and printing that computes the position for each glyph. These two sets of code should produce the same positions for a given set of glyphs and font size but in some rare cases it appears that the glyphs can be shift too far to the right in the OpenOffice.org PDF export code and so I have fixed that PDF export code problem.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if my fix changes anything when exporting to PDF using the Garamond Premier Pro font?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-10-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-10-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I think that actually made it worse Sad - see attached pdf with test-10 installed.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I think that actually made it worse Sad - see attached pdf with test-10 installed.

Actually, there is zero change. I uncompressed the PDF in your first post and the the PDF in your last post and diff'd them. There are zero differences so the rare case that I fixed is not what is causing the problem that you see.

Can you print the same document to a PDF file and attach that? I can then compare what differences printed PDF has versus exported PDF and, hopefully, I will come up a new theory as what is causing this problem.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you're right - the gaps certainly look bigger when the new pdf is opened in Preview than in the old one, but then Preview is unpredictable in how it displays files sometimes. Anyway, here's the pdf from OSX Print to PDF.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Thank your the printed PDF. I think I have a new theory of what might be causing this problem: rounding errors. I found that the OpenOffice.org PDF export code truncates all fractions in glyph widths that the NeoOffice code passes to it. Rounding down shifts glyphs slightly to the left and if many of the glyph widths have large fractions (like .7, .8, or .9), that rounding error can cause a 10 pixel gap somewhere in a line so I have fixed this rounding error bug so that the rounding error on a line is always less then 1 pixel.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if my rounding error fix changes anything when exporting to PDF using the Garamond Premier Pro font?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-11-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-11-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject:

test-11 fixes it! Many thanks for looking into this. Here's the new (and correct) garamond pdf, in case it's useful for you.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix for this bug has been included in NeoOffice 3.1.2 which can download it from the NeoOffice download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1