· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bulk upload
Bulk upload

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rerhart
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Bulk upload

Is there a way to bulk upload previously created odt files to NeoOffice Mobile using an open source ftp client such as cyberduck?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Unforunately, you cannot upload directly to NeoOffice Mobile.

The reason is that NeoOffice Office is not a simple FTP or webdav site like Apple's .mac. Instead, it is a custom document storage system that uses its own protocol and lots of interaction with NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org document export code to ensure that all uploads have HTML and PDF versions uploaded in the same byte stream and that, once uploaded, the uploaded bytes are securely encrypted. In other words, upload is only possible within NeoOffice at this time.

Are you looking for a place to remotely backup your files? If so, NeoOffice Mobile probably is not the best tool for that. For remote backups, we use the open source "rsync" command run across an "ssh" connection. The rsync command is really fast in that it only pushes changed files and directories to a remote server.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject:

Is any other NeoOffice Mobile users interested in a "batch upload" feature? While Fran, Tim, Ed, and I have been slowly migrating our NeoOffice documents one by one into NeoOffice Mobile, I can see where a batch upload might be useful so last night I was thinking about if a batch upload would be feasible to implement.

The main constraint is that in order to upload a document into NeoOffice Mobile, the document must already be open in NeoOffice. This constraint exists because we need to export the document to both HTML and PDF file formats so that the document is viewable in a web browser or mobile device.

Given this constraint, what may be feasible would be to add a separate "save all open documents" button. That button could then upload each of the open documents to the currently selected NeoOffice Mobile folder using the local file name as the uploaded name.

I am not sure how much work Tim would have to do to implement such a limited batch upload feature, but if 10 more NeoOffice Mobile users post that they think my limited batch upload feature would be useful, Tim and I can try implementing it.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1