Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Inserting Page Numbers at the Header
Inserting Page Numbers at the Header

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YoniGolden
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Inserting Page Numbers at the Header

Hello
I'm writing my Thesis. At the beginning I wrote the chapters in separated files for my convenient. Recently I copied all the chapters to a single file and set the titles as headings so writer can identify them and make a table of content easily.
But now I notice that the page have a header without page numbers. I tried to add to the chapters page numbers with the INSERT menu, but when I reopen the files the numbers disappear and I have to do it again.
p.s. I'm saving the file after I insert the numbers.
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject:

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Are you using the Pager or Pagination extension which facilitates this process.

Phil
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Inserting Page Numbers at the Header

YoniGolden wrote:
But now I notice that the page have a header without page numbers. I tried to add to the chapters page numbers with the INSERT menu, but when I reopen the files the numbers disappear and I have to do it again.

I cannot reproduce what you are seeing. Can you use the following steps that I am using and tell us if you still see the same behavior?:

1. Switch to Print Layout mode by selecting the View :: Print Layout menu (headers are hidden in Web Layout mode)

2. Insert a header area by making sure that the Insert :: Header :: Default menu is checked. If it is not checked, select that menu so that a small header area shows at the top of each page.

3. Put the cursor in the small header area and then select the Insert :: Fields :: Page Number menu.

4. Save the file and reopen.

After reopening, is the header still there when in Print Layout mode?

Patrick
YoniGolden
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Inserting Page Numbers at the Header

pluby wrote:
YoniGolden wrote:

I cannot reproduce what you are seeing. Can you use the following steps that I am using and tell us if you still see the same behavior?:

1. Switch to Print Layout mode by selecting the View :: Print Layout menu (headers are hidden in Web Layout mode)

2. Insert a header area by making sure that the Insert :: Header :: Default menu is checked. If it is not checked, select that menu so that a small header area shows at the top of each page.

3. Put the cursor in the small header area and then select the Insert :: Fields :: Page Number menu.

4. Save the file and reopen.

After reopening, is the header still there when in Print Layout mode?

Patrick

Dear Patrick, and phil.

I inserted (again) the page numbers yesterday, and today they disappeared again.
I'm attaching a screenshot of the window. Although it's in Hebrew, you can see the fields and the styles information.

I forgot to mention that for compatibility and communication with my advisor I wrote the file as a MS-Word (.doc) document.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Inserting Page Numbers at the Header

I noticed that you have a page break at the very top of the content area of the page that is in your screen snapshot. Are the headers in previous pages still there? If so, then the problem is likely the page break as each section of a document has its own headers.

To test if this is the case, select the Insert :: Headers menu. If you see more than one submenu, then you need to recreate the header contents at the start of each section.

If my theory is not the case, can you make a copy of your document, delete the all but the first 10 pages to trim down the file size, and attach the trimmed down file so that we can try to reproduce this problem?

Patrick
YoniGolden
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Inserting Page Numbers at the Header

pluby wrote:
I noticed that you have a page break at the very top of the content area of the page that is in your screen snapshot. Are the headers in previous pages still there? If so, then the problem is likely the page break as each section of a document has its own headers.

To test if this is the case, select the Insert :: Headers menu. If you see more than one submenu, then you need to recreate the header contents at the start of each section.

If my theory is not the case, can you make a copy of your document, delete the all but the first 10 pages to trim down the file size, and attach the trimmed down file so that we can try to reproduce this problem?

Patrick

Patrick
You are right about the sections. I have few page break to separate between the chapters. I inserted the page numbers to each chapter, and it still disappeared.

You can download the file from here.https://yonigolden.sugarsync.com/getfiles/dvnow4on0fyjj
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Inserting Page Numbers at the Header

YoniGolden wrote:
You are right about the sections. I have few page break to separate between the chapters. I inserted the page numbers to each chapter, and it still disappeared

Thank you for the sample document. I can reproduce the problem that you are seeing in both NeoOffice 3.1.2 and the underlying Go-oo build that NeoOffice 3.1.2 is based on. Since I cannot reproduce the problem in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, this indicates that the problem is caused by one of the modications that Novell's Go-oo engineers made to the OpenOffice.org code.

I will investigate this problem further and hopefully I can fix the problem by finding and removing the Go-oo modification that is causing this.

It may take me a few days to find the modification that causes this problem, but once I find it I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:

FYI: I have created bug 3638 to track this issue.

Fran
YoniGolden
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
FYI: I have created bug 3638 to track this issue.

Fran

Thanks
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject:

I am happy to report that I think I found the Go-oo modication that causes this bug. Normally finding the Go-oo modification that causes a bug like this is a long and tedious process but I found it fairly quickly this morning.

Some background info: Novell's Go-oo engineers copied the code change in this OpenOffice.org bug and it was that copied code change that caused the bug that you found. I removed that copied code change from the NeoOffice code and your bug no longer occurs. Also, the OpenOffice.org bug that the copied code change was supposed to fix does not occur after removing the change so I think that code change was unnecessary.

Can you install the following test patch, insert fields in the empty headers in your .doc file, save your file, close it, and reopen it? After doing those steps, is the header still there?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-0-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for the OpenOffice.org incorrect Notes setting bug in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 1. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
YoniGolden
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:

Thank you!!!!

It's working
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1