Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash when opening doc(x)
Crash when opening doc(x)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Crash when opening doc(x)

I'm experiencing more and more crashes of NeoOffice when opening doc(x) files. Most of the time NeoOffice just crashes, occasionally it hangs. This behaviour occurs only with documents I receive from colleagues, unfortunately I cannot post them online but I could send one of them through PM. While Quickview does not crash when using it to browse these documents, occasionally there are formatting hickups as well here. I'm using NeoOffice 3.1.2 patch 1 on Intel 10.6.5.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject:

Since you cannot attach a sample document, can you attach a crash log?

You can obtain a crash log using the steps in this NeoWiki article. Once we can see the crash log, then we can start trying to locate the cause of the crashing.

Once you obtain a crash log, you can attach it to your post using the step in this forum topic.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject:

I have seen no reply to my post. Does this mean that you are no longer experiencing the crash that you originally reported? If so, did installing NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 2 stop the crashing?

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have seen no reply to my post. Does this mean that you are no longer experiencing the crash that you originally reported? If so, did installing NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 2 stop the crashing?
I tested it with patch 2 and it is still crashing on opening the same documents. I tried to reproduce the crash with a document that is in the public domain, but I didn't find one so far. I will see of I can single out the cause and prepare a doc that I can share with you.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
I tested it with patch 2 and it is still crashing on opening the same documents. I tried to reproduce the crash with a document that is in the public domain, but I didn't find one so far. I will see of I can single out the cause and prepare a doc that I can share with you.

OK. But in the meantime can you attach a crash log? Crash logs can really help narrow down where in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code that the crash is occurring. I cannot always fix a crashing bug from the data in a crash log, but in some cases I can so having a crash log can be very, very useful for us.

You can obtain a crash log using the steps in this NeoWiki article. Once we can see the crash log, then we can start trying to locate the cause of the crashing.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
OK. But in the meantime can you attach a crash log? Crash logs can really help narrow down where in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code that the crash is occurring. I cannot always fix a crashing bug from the data in a crash log, but in some cases I can so having a crash log can be very, very useful for us.
Crash log attached.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log. Your crash log shows the crash is occurring while NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is trying to download an image from a remote site.

I suspect that your .docx documents have an image that is linked to a website instead of embedded within the .docx file. Is it possible to open one on your crashing documents in Microsoft Office, delete all of the content except the images, and attach that?

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Friday, December 10, 2010

Or perhaps disconnect from the internet while opening the file and see the file will open with a cannot find message.

Phil
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I think Patrick would like the document so that he can try to reproduce the crash and then fix the problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
I think Patrick would like the document so that he can try to reproduce the crash and then fix the problem.

I definitely prefer a file saved from Microsoft Office but if you do not have access to Microsoft Office, PGAGA's suggestion may be worth a try as the URL of the image should be preserved even if you cannot connect to the URL.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I definitely prefer a file saved from Microsoft Office but if you do not have access to Microsoft Office, PGAGA's suggestion may be worth a try as the URL of the image should be preserved even if you cannot connect to the URL.
NeoOffice crashing mostly happen upon opening documents created by one and the same person, I will have to ask him for a sample doc as I do not have that version of MS Office around. In the meantime I checked the original (crashing) doc for linked media. Opening it with QuickLook I can see only one graphical item (in a location that is most likely part of a template). Opening the binary doc file in a text editor I can see a link like this (personalised information replaced by generic equivalent):
Code:
INCLUDEPICTURE "C:\\Documents and Settings\\usern\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files\\my documents\\CompLogo.bmp" \* MERGEFORMAT
Not sure if this is of any help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
Code:
INCLUDEPICTURE "C:\\Documents and Settings\\usern\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files\\my documents\\CompLogo.bmp" \* MERGEFORMAT
Not sure if this is of any help.

That definitely does help. The creator of the document has linked, not embedded, to a image in a folder on their Windows machine. Specifically, they the image is in a temporary file on their Windows machine so no one but that user on that machine will be able to see the image.

I still would like to fix this bug if you can eventually get us a sample. Meanwhile, you may want to tell the user to embed the image in their document, not link to it, since linking requires that they bundle the image as a separate file with the document.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1