Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - In NO 3.1.2 patch 3, a drag from a text box hangs NO Calc.
In NO 3.1.2 patch 3, a drag from a text box hangs NO Calc.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: In NO 3.1.2 patch 3, a drag from a text box hangs NO Calc.

I have a large sheet but this happens even with a restarted machine and a recovered (but unchanged) file and a very simple and even an empty sheet.

I was doing a Find but just enter text into a cell (say abc into A1) and then highlight the entry box and drag the text to the desktop or any text box elsewhere. The beach ball spins.

I've done this in all versions before 3.1.2 patch 3 without a hitch.

Just reinstalled 3.1.2 and it works as does patch 2. Added patch 3 and it spins the ball.

Please point me to my mistake.
-Ken

MacBook early 2009, MacOS 10.6.6.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject:

I can reproduce this bug on my machines as well. In Patch 3, we reimplemented NeoOffice's copy, paste, drag, and drop code[/url] to remove all code that might fail when run on Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.7 Lion release. Although I tested this new code by verifying that the various copy, paste, drag, and drop bugs listed in our bug tracking database did not reoccur, I am not surprised that you found a new bug given the amount of NeoOffice code changes that I had to make.

I think that I have fixed this bug. Can you install the following test patch and tell us the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Note: I have created bug 3644 to track this bug.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Hey, preview just lost my too long spent composing response.

First try of install of Test 1 must have still had the unchanged Patch 3 as it hung. Second try on one-cell sheet dragged off the title abc.textClipping but the body was empty. At least it didn't hang.

So nice try but no go, Patrick.

Is there a way to recover from the spinning ball without a Forced Quit, which loses everything?

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
First try of install of Test 1 must have still had the unchanged Patch 3 as it hung. Second try on one-cell sheet dragged off the title abc.textClipping but the body was empty. At least it didn't hang.

Sorry, but the test patch has the fix that I implemented and I just double-checked that my fix works on Mac OS X 10.6.6 by reinstalling NeoOffice 3.1.2 and then the test patch.

So, most likely encountering a separate hanging bug as I found hanging when I did the following steps:

1. Open new Calc document and enter "Test" in cell A1

2. Go the toolbar's cell contents edit field, select all of the text, and then drag the selected text to a cell or to the Desktop

Are you using different steps than me? If so, can you please list them? I do not understand what you mean by "dragged off the title abc.textClipping but the body was empty".

kklare wrote:
Is there a way to recover from the spinning ball without a Forced Quit, which loses everything?

Unfortunately, no. This is why we consider hanging bugs to be critical bugs and why I have dropped all my other work and put fixing this bug as my top priority.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Further problems.

Dragging tab-delimited array text from BBEdit or sibling TextWrangler to Calc either does NOT insert at all or inserts at the WRONG location, down the sheet. Sometimes it requires the source to be front--it did not before--and I usually did not have it so.

Copy and paste works but puts up the cmd-shift-V tableau, Did it do that before? This is my daily stock prices.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Further problems.

kklare wrote:
Dragging tab-delimited array text from BBEdit or sibling TextWrangler to Calc either does NOT insert at all or inserts at the WRONG location, down the sheet. Sometimes it requires the source to be front--it did not before--and I usually did not have it so.

Since you did not answer my question asking for your steps to reproduce the are different than mine, I guess that you have no more hanging issues?

kklare wrote:
Copy and paste works but puts up the cmd-shift-V tableau, Did it do that before? This is my daily stock prices.

I have no idea what you are saying by "puts up the cmd-shift-V tableau". Pressing Command-Shift-V has always been mapped to the Edit :: Paste Special menu. If you are not pressing Command-Shift-V, then please provide a list of the steps to reproduce what you are seeing.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
kklare wrote:

Sorry, but the test patch has the fix that I implemented and I just double-checked that my fix works on Mac OS X 10.6.6 by reinstalling NeoOffice 3.1.2 and then the test patch.

So, most likely encountering a separate hanging bug as I found hanging when I did the following steps:

1. Open new Calc document and enter "Test" in cell A1

2. Go the toolbar's cell contents edit field, select all of the text, and then drag the selected text to a cell or to the Desktop

Are you using different steps than me? If so, can you please list them? I do not understand what you mean by "dragged off the title abc.textClipping but the body was empty".

Patrick

Dragging highlighted text to the desktop, gives the clipping a filename from the first characters of the text--my example text "abc" became a file abc.textClipping. Same as you describe.

I did not go all the way back to 3.1.2 but tied to over-patch 3.1.2 patch 2 with the test. Having done 3.1.2 and then the patch, I still find that it does not hang but the "dragged off" text from the entry box is empty when viewed RTF, 1264 bytes.

Messages crossed between refreshes.
-Ken

P.S. I understand that hanging is "critical" but creating an empty file is not good either. Did you open your "test.textClipping"?
PPS, crossed again.
-Ken

Last edited by kklare on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
Dragging highlighted text to the desktop, gives the clipping a filename from the first characters of the text--my example text "abc" became a file abc.textClipping. Same as you describe.

That is good news that there is no more hanging. Also, it is good news that when you drag text the desktop you get a .textClipping file as that is how previous versions of NeoOffice behaved.

kklare wrote:
I did not go all the way back to 3.1.2 but tied to over-patch 3.1.2 patch 2 with the test. Having done 3.1.2 and then the patch, I still find that it does not hang but the "dragged off" text from the entry box is empty when viewed RTF, 1264 bytes.

The .textClipping files are not RTF format. They are an odd format that the Finder creates. What happens is that when text is dragged to the Desktop, the Finder is the application that handles the dragged data and the Finder creates the .textClipping files.

The only way to view these .textClipping files that I know of is to double-click on the file or right-click on the file and select the OpenWith :: Finder menu in the popup menu that appears. Does either of these steps allow you to view the file?

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
kklare wrote:
I still find that it does not hang but the "dragged off" text from the entry box is empty when viewed RTF, 1264 bytes.

The .textClipping files are not RTF format. They are an odd format that the Finder creates. What happens is that when text is dragged to the Desktop, the Finder is the application that handles the dragged data and the Finder creates the .textClipping files.

The only way to view these .textClipping files that I know of is to double-click on the file or right-click on the file and select the OpenWith :: Finder menu in the popup menu that appears. Does either of these steps allow you to view the file?

Patrick

The finder display of the text clipping showed Rich Text at the bottom of the frame, thus my mistake about RTF(?).
-Ken

Edit by pluby: fix open quote tag
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Further problems.

kklare wrote:

I can now reproduce the "insert at wrong location" bug that you see. What is happening is that the drop is occurring at the top left corner of the dragged image instead of the cursor's location.

I have fixed that bug in the the following test patch, can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you? Also, is there still a problem with the Paste Special dialog displaying? If so, please let us know:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-3-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Note: I have created bug 3645 to track this bug.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Further problems.

pluby wrote:
kklare wrote:

I can now reproduce the "insert at wrong location" bug that you see. What is happening is that the drop is occurring at the top left corner of the dragged image instead of the cursor's location.

I have fixed that bug in the the following test patch, can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you? Also, is there still a problem with the Paste Special dialog displaying? If so, please let us know:
Note: I have created bug 3645 to track this bug.

Patrick

Dropped tab-delimited (yes, it was/is putting up the prototype box) worked into another near-empty sheet. Thanks, back on track here.

Dragging off the Calc text entry box still does create an empty file, BUT dragging off 2 boxes from the sheet does drop both as one file with boxes. Interesting. Even one box from sheet make it to a file as "Rich Text (RTF)".

Dragging off the Find text box now works to desktop, yeah.

So I'm working.

Annoying is that with only one cell selected, it searches selection only--almost always wrong. Maybe that restriction should be displayed on the small Find box.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Further problems.

kklare wrote:
Dropped tab-delimited (yes, it was/is putting up the prototype box) worked into another near-empty sheet. Thanks, back on track here.

Ah. I was confused. I thought you were seeing the Paste Special dialog instead of the "import delimited text" dialog. The fact that you see that dialog when dragging delimited text from another application is good news as that shows that NeoOffice is properly detecting that the other application is only making delimited text available on the system drag clipboard.

In contrast, when the drag is started from NeoOffice, NeoOffice makes many more formats - including its own Calc format - available. So, when NeoOffice Calc is both the dragged and dropped application, Calc data is passed without any need for conversion and so no dialog appears.

kklare wrote:
Dragging off the Calc text entry box still does create an empty file, BUT dragging off 2 boxes from the sheet does drop both as one file with boxes. Interesting. Even one box from sheet make it to a file as "Rich Text (RTF)".

Dragging off the Find text box now works to desktop, yeah.

So I'm working.

I took a closer look at the .textClipping files that Finder creates and they are zero length because Finder stores the dragged data in the file's resource fork. Resource forks in files are a leftover from Mac OS Classic so most Mac OS X tools won't look for a resource fork in a file. Hence the apparent zero length. FWIW, the resource fork has several different types of data formats in it including HTML, RTF, and plain text.

kklare wrote:
Annoying is that with only one cell selected, it searches selection only--almost always wrong. Maybe that restriction should be displayed on the small Find box.
-Ken

Try pressing the "More Options" button in the Find dialog and then unchecking the "Current Selection Only" checkbox. Does that work? Also, does that checkbox remain unchecked by default in successive searches?

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Further problems.

pluby wrote:
I took a closer look at the .textClipping files that Finder creates and they are zero length because Finder stores the dragged data in the file's resource fork. Resource forks in files are a leftover from Mac OS Classic so most Mac OS X tools won't look for a resource fork in a file. Hence the apparent zero length. FWIW, the resource fork has several different types of data formats in it including HTML, RTF, and plain text.

Try pressing the "More Options" button in the Find dialog and then unchecking the "Current Selection Only" checkbox. Does that work? Also, does that checkbox remain unchecked by default in successive searches?

Patrick

I'm aware of "More Options" and do uncheck the "Current Selection" when I realize it is on--usually from the search being too quick. I'd like to see the find and replace text boxes smaller and tighter--I know it's difficult to fully control the layout--for the future. Adding an indicator to look at the "More" form if any boxes are checked would help. Thanks for quickly solving 80% of my "problems". (Only the Calc entry-box drag-out to no content remains.)

I know about the old Mac resource fork forms--did a little ResEdit in its day.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for the two drag and drop bugs in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 4. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I have included the fix for the two drag and drop bugs in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 4. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick

Still where we were: Dragging from the Text Entry Box in Calc to the desktop results in a correct filename but when double-clicked in Finder shows nothing. The file dropped on an empty TextEdit document, has the content. This worked before, maybe, and still does for a drag from the Find box.

So what is wrong with Finder? Or rather what NeoOffice puts out from a drag that Finder cannot see but is there? Oops, tried base 3.1.2 and drag out of it also does not display in Finder but can be dropped into TextEdit or TextWrangler. Tried 3.1 base with same result. Tried 3.0 base and it did not launch. Oh, Time Machine.

I will leave it there, as I just need the Find box to drag to IMDb. I do not drag out of the entry box--usually.

Thanks for your hard work.

Now, when I get around to organizing my other killer problem--certain row deletions from my big sheet 3000 rows x 20 columns or so cause NO to go belly up. I had turned off AutoSave because it does it at the wrong time, for me, but with it back on it has saved a lot of work.

Thanks, -Ken
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3