Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - In NO 3.1.2 patch 3, a drag from a text box hangs NO Calc.
In NO 3.1.2 patch 3, a drag from a text box hangs NO Calc.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
So what is wrong with Finder? Or rather what NeoOffice puts out from a drag that Finder cannot see but is there? Oops, tried base 3.1.2 and drag out of it also does not display in Finder but can be dropped into TextEdit or TextWrangler. Tried 3.1 base with same result. Tried 3.0 base and it did not launch. Oh, Time Machine.

It sounds like some other application other than Finder has registered itself as the preferred application for opening .textClipping files. To test if this is the case, try right-clicking or Control-clicking on a .textClipping file. In the popup menu that appears, select the Open With :: Finder menu. Do those steps cause a small window with the dragged text in it to appear?

kklare wrote:
Now, when I get around to organizing my other killer problem--certain row deletions from my big sheet 3000 rows x 20 columns or so cause NO to go belly up. I had turned off AutoSave because it does it at the wrong time, for me, but with it back on it has saved a lot of work.

I assume that when you say "go belly up" it means NeoOffice crashes. If so, can you create a new forum topic for that problem and, most importantly, attach a crash log to your post. With crashing bugs, having a crash log really helps us quickly narrow down the area of code that the crash is occurring in.

To obtain a crash log, following the steps in this NeoWiki article.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Drag from Calc entry line problem. Sample in file.

The info panel says open with Finder.app.
The preview is some (indecipherable) multiline text for 1 word or 3 in this case.

The drag from say Safari's URL (partial line) is just what you would expect and has the same Finder.app and the legibly correct text and name.

I will have to read the wiki--that is what was holding me back, I guess, to work on the crash problem. I'm sure after a few tries, I can get a crash although it usually takes a few operations to get it to fail but it is then reproducible. I can send the source sheet if you don't mind a big, messy file of film names--no proprietary info.

Aside: after working awhile I started getting a failure to drag the Find text to IMDb but "cured" it by closing the Find box and reopening with a cmd+F.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
The info panel says open with Finder.app.
The preview is some (indecipherable) multiline text for 1 word or 3 in this case.

The drag from say Safari's URL (partial line) is just what you would expect and has the same Finder.app and the legibly correct text and name.

I can now reproduce this bug in all recent versions of NeoOffice but, strangely, it only occurs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Since this bug does not occur in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, it definitely is a NeoOffice bug.

I have created bug 3646 to track this bug. So far, it appears that the Finder properly copies the RTF data that NeoOffice puts on the system drag clipboard into the .textClipping file. However, for some reason the Finder cannot parse that RTF data.

Since the RTF data from NeoOffice for the same text is slightly different than the RTF data from OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, that makes me suspect that one or more of our fixes for crashing bugs in the OpenOffice.org code is making the RTF data not understandable by the Finder.

I will need to investigate this bug further and I will post again when I have more news.

kklare wrote:
I will have to read the wiki--that is what was holding me back, I guess, to work on the crash problem. I'm sure after a few tries, I can get a crash although it usually takes a few operations to get it to fail but it is then reproducible. I can send the source sheet if you don't mind a big, messy file of film names--no proprietary info.

Attaching a sample document definitely helps, but please also attach a crash log. The crash log is sometimes the only way we can figure out the cause of a crashing bug particularly when we are unable to reproduce the crash on our machines.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject:

Patrick, you are a marvel.
Of course, a crash log did not apply to this--no crash.
I haven't had a crash on Calc for a day so I haven't followed up, cross finger or not. I have been treading lightly. I paste from the left cell of a line and not the whole line as that is more likely to crash. I've either been lucky or lazy.
Thanks, -Ken
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:

Aside: after working awhile I started getting a failure to drag the Find text to IMDb but "cured" it by closing the Find box and reopening with a cmd+F.
-Ken

I find that even though the Find window is front, the cursor fails to switch to an I-beam--you do not get a fist or an arrow. Thus it seems likely that the drag fails because the focus is not there. (Where is it?) Closing and re-Finding works.

One recent change is installing the new Flash player. I don't like it but IMDb does. It often fails to load as did the earlier version. Maybe I agree with Steve Jobs. I haven't seen the hang which started this thread but this may be fortuitous.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
I find that even though the Find window is front, the cursor fails to switch to an I-beam--you do not get a fist or an arrow. Thus it seems likely that the drag fails because the focus is not there. (Where is it?) Closing and re-Finding works.

Even when the cursor fails to change, does drag and drop work? I ask this because if drag and drop works, then that means that our new code is only failing to update the cursor which is likely a very different bug than if drag and drop fails completely.

Also, are there are specific steps I can do repeatedly to cause this problem to occur? I tried dragging text from the Calc cell editing field into the Find dialog's Replace field about 10 times and I could not reproduce this problem.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject:

This part was about the failure to drag. I'm suggesting a cause--no focus.
It happens, perhaps, most likely in switching back and forth between apps.

Oops, I'm wrong, I just now getting the I-beam (test insertion) cursor and it changes to an up-left arrow but won't drop anything, even into Google custom search on this page. Close and re-Find you get the plus-cursor above a text box. If it changes to a fist it does work. Copy and paste works, drag starts to fail and can't get it until the pane is reopened.

Off to belated birthday dinner. Have a good one yourself.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
This part was about the failure to drag. I'm suggesting a cause--no focus.
It happens, perhaps, most likely in switching back and forth between apps.

Does this happen only with Safari? I ask because I noticed that when I select some text in the NeoOffice Find dialog and then switch focus to Safari, dragging to the Safari Google search field fails.

However, if I drag over another application like Terminal or TextEdit during the same drag, the cursor changes and dropping works.

Are you seeing the same thing? If so, then it appears that Safari is rejecting the dragged data but dragging is working.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject:

The drag does not start while over the NO Find box. Expect I-beam insertion cursor over Find Box and (sometimes arrow) or hand/grab/fist cursor over Find & Replace panel. When it fails you get none of these clues. Looking for example--Double clicking one or both of two words in the Find box and dragging failed clues and drop on Finder.
This is not critical but should work as part of the cut/paste update.
Sorry, you do get the I-beam and arrow and still don't get a drop to Finder or Mail..
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
The drag does not start while over the NO Find box. Expect I-beam insertion cursor over Find Box and (sometimes arrow) or hand/grab/fist cursor over Find & Replace panel. When it fails you get none of these clues. Looking for example--Double clicking one or both of two words in the Find box and dragging failed clues and drop on Finder.
This is not critical but should work as part of the cut/paste update.
Sorry, you do get the I-beam and arrow and still don't get a drop to Finder or Mail..

OK. But I want to make sure that I am using the same steps as use as I suspect that this is a very subtle bug. What I am doing is opening NeoOffice, displaying the Find dialog, entering text in the Replace field, and then selecting the text in that field.

Then I switch to Safari and try to drag the Find dialog text with a single click and drag to Safari's Google field. That's when I see the failure. Do you use different steps than me?

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject:

I don't need to do it to Safari. (I have not quit S because of so many tabs open.) The drag, which I do, can be to anything or in my case Finder Desktop or Mail. I start the drag with Safari, etc. in the background and the Find box in foreground.
Still no crashes, cross fingers.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
I don't need to do it to Safari. (I have not quit S because of so many tabs open.) The drag, which I do, can be to anything or in my case Finder Desktop or Mail. I start the drag with Safari, etc. in the background and the Find box in foreground.

Hmmm. I still cannot reproduce what you are seeing so I must be doing something subtly different than you are. However, I don't know what as I have been dragging both to and from Calc's Find dialog and other applications without any problems.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
What I am doing is opening NeoOffice, displaying the Find dialog, entering text in the Replace field, and then selecting the text in that field.

Then I switch to Safari and try to drag the Find dialog text with a single click and drag to Safari's Google field. That's when I see the failure. Do you use different steps than me?

Patrick

From this I thought you were seeing the drag problem that I have. It's still there although how to get it started is elusive. Once started, it continues until I close the Find panel and yes you can do it with either Find or Replace text.

I just got back to having the crash from moving text. I move by copying a row (or rows) cmd+C, deleting the row cmd+-, selecting a new row and inserting a blank row (personal shortcut cmd+shift+X), pasting the copied row cmd+V. Usually good to this point, but sometimes using Undo cmd+Z and some movements and a Redo cmd+Y will crash it and then I can repeat the crash after recovering. On the next time, I will collect the crash log and give the file, unrecovered in a new topic. I can't be sure when it will happen. It's been a while. Small examples do not crash this way. Usually pasting with the left cell of the row selected instead of the whole row does not crash but may have more to do with Undo/Redo.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
From this I thought you were seeing the drag problem that I have. It's still there although how to get it started is elusive. Once started, it continues until I close the Find panel and yes you can do it with either Find or Replace text.

The next that this happens, can you try to remember what steps you did in the last drag immediately before the failed drag? My hunch is that the previous drag is the cause of what you are seeing so if you can gather any data about the previous drag when the failure occurs, that might give me some clues as to how to reproduce this problem.

Edit: One additional thing you can do that might help is to launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application immediately after this problem appears. Copy and paste the last 20 or so messages from the Console application into your post. There may not be any messages applicable to NeoOffice, but if there are then that could help quite a bit.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I split your crash log post into this separate forum topic since I think the crash that you mentioned is complex and will needs its own topic.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3