Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Cannot get tab to activate Calc sheet.
Cannot get tab to activate Calc sheet.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Cannot get tab to activate Calc sheet.

I select a region in one tab of a multi-sheet/tab Calc spreadsheet.
I sort the region.
I press the bottom tab to select a different sheet.
It does not change sheets even though the new tab changes to white from gray.
Eventually moving the cursor will cause it to change the displayed sheet.

Patrick,
This is with the IMDB.ods from the row delete problem. Revised many times.
The tab sorted was Futurama (tab #8 ), and the sort was Futurama, i.e., the body, using column B. It was previously sorted with the col B after a prior sort on col A.
I don't know if you got the sort selectors in your copy when transferred. I assume it is stored with the file.
The new tab selected was Main (tab#1). It could be pressed multiple times without effect.

A minor problem given that it eventually straightens itself out.

PS, A simple example worked--bah.
PPS, added tab numbers as new used as tab 2 worked. Double clicking tab #1, of course, brought up the rename box and made sheet 1 active.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject:

This is normal behavior for NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code when you have a very lengthy sort that does not finish instantaneously.

While you can click on another tab while a sort is still being performed, the OpenOffice.org code must finish the currently running sort before it can load and render the new tab. Essentially, the changing of the tab color indicates the tab that will be displayed once the current sort is finished.

It may seem strange that your sort on a numeric column would take so long but the actual sort probably is not the bulk of the total time. After the sort, any formulas that reference any of the cells in the sorted range (no matter which tab those formulas are in) must be updated before any change in what is displayed can occur.

To eliminate this second, timeconsuming step of the sort, you can do so by unchecking the Tools :: Cell Contents :: AutoCalculate menu. Then, when you are done sorting, check the same menu or manually select the Tools :: Cell Contents :: Recalculate menu to update any cells that reference the sorted range.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick,

There is only 1 row with 2 references to the Futurama sheet in the Main sheet, which do not change in value with the sort. But there are hundreds of other lookups in Main, so I can see where it could take a lot of time to recalculate. It's hard to know what is relevant or required for the display to be ready--that's what we have computers for, ha.

-Ken
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1