· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Warning users who are using old Mac OS X versions
Warning users who are using old Mac OS X versions

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Warning users who are using old Mac OS X versions

Now that NeoOffice 3.2 is out, it appears that there are more than a trivial number of people who don't see that NeoOffice 3.2 only runs on Mac OS X 10.5 or higher and only on Intel machines.

Since it is frustrating for users who have only Mac OS X 10.4 or lower or who have only a PowerPC machine to download NeoOffice 3.2 and then find that they cannot install it, I have added some code to the website that will display a warning that you won't be able to install on a pre-10.5 Intel Mac OS X version.

This warning code is definitely not perfect since we have to rely on the user's web browser to tell us the Mac OS X version and processor. Fortunately, most versions of Safari and Firefox appear to advertise the Mac OS X version and processor so for most users, our unsupported Mac OS X version check should work.

If you have an old Mac and the warning does not appear for you, please let us know what version of Mac OS X version and processor you are using and I can investigate.

If it is working reliably for most users, I will tweak the patch download pages to recommend the version on our website that the user's machines support if it is too old for the latest version.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject:

FYI. The patch checking code on our website now does some special code when NeoOffice does a patch check from a PowerPC machine. For PowerPC users, the latest patch will be NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 8.

Doing the same for Mac OS X 10.4 Intel machines is a bit more complicated to implement but hopefully I should have a website update for that later today.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Doing the same for Mac OS X 10.4 Intel machines is a bit more complicated to implement but hopefully I should have a website update for that later today.

This ended up being very tricky to implement in our existing patch pages so I implemented a safer, less risky change: if you are running NeoOffice 3.1.2 and the user does not have the latest patch, the patch update page now shows a link to the latest NeoOffice 3.1.2 patch download page.

My thinking behind this is that if you are already running NeoOffice 3.1.2, your machine will be able to install the latest patch and since stability is our first priority, we skip the new version notice and, instead, send them the patch download page.

Only after the user has the latest patch will the website show the link to the new NeoOffice 3.2 version.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1