Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice quit unexpectedly
NeoOffice quit unexpectedly

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acumen
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice quit unexpectedly

So, I've been scouring the forums to find the answer, and finally just ponied up to hit $100 so I could get some help. NeoOffice has been crashing for a while, I'd like to say even pre-3.2 but right now I'm 3.2 Patch 1, and all support tips are a wash.

Here's where I'm at:

Install NeoOffice Patches
3.2 patch 1, should be good

Update Mac OS X
v 10.6.7

Disable system hacks
Did this. Handy way to do so:
Code:
sudo find /System/Library/SystemConfiguration ~/Library/InputManagers/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/ /Library/InputManagers/ /Library/Application\ Support/ -name '*nhancer.bundle*' -or -name '*Smart Cr*' -or -name '*SIMBL*'

Disable MenuCracker
Not installed.

Disable trackpad gestures
No trackpad installed.

Check for corrupted user preference files
Code:
rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/

Check the Console.log
From a single run/crash round:
Code:
5/2/11 5:08:40 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   JavaNativeFoundation: GetGlobalVM: JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs() failed to get any VM.
5/2/11 5:08:40 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   Apple AWT: +[ThreadUtilities getJNIEnvUncached] attempting to attach current thread after JNFObtainEnv() failed
5/2/11 5:08:40 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   JavaNativeFoundation: GetGlobalVM: JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs() failed to get any VM.
5/2/11 5:08:40 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   Apple AWT: +[ThreadUtilities getJNIEnvUncached] attempting to attach current thread after JNFObtainEnv() failed
5/2/11 5:08:44 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   JavaNativeFoundation: GetGlobalVM: JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs() failed to get any VM.
5/2/11 5:08:44 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   Apple AWT: +[ThreadUtilities getJNIEnvUncached] attempting to attach current thread after JNFObtainEnv() failed
5/2/11 5:08:44 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   JavaNativeFoundation: GetGlobalVM: JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs() failed to get any VM.
5/2/11 5:08:44 PM   soffice.bin[1164]   Apple AWT: +[ThreadUtilities getJNIEnvUncached] attempting to attach current thread after JNFObtainEnv() failed
5/2/11 5:08:45 PM   ReportCrash[1170]   Saved crash report for soffice.bin[1164] version 3.2 Patch 1 (3.2 Patch 1 Intel (pluby:guibomacmini.local.)) to /Users/kent/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/soffice.bin_2011-05-02-170845_fructose.crash

Crash Log
See attached.

Insufficient RAM
6 GB should be plenty.

Too many open files
I changed sysctl.conf to 65535 as instructed, already.

Resetting permission
Already booted in single-user mode and
Code:
fsck -fy; reboot;

Java Preferences
Java SE 6 (1.6.0_24-b07-334) checked, only, 64-then-32-bit.

Java works
Compiled and ran Test.java, no issues.

It appears that the app launches, begins to draw the main window, then crashes.

Thanks for your help; I've been a supporter for a while and didn't realize how much I depend on having it working!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log. Although it is hard to be certain from the crash log, it appears that the crash is occurring when NeoOffice is trying to open or close a floating window.

I haven't seen a crash in this particular area of code before so is there a specific set of steps that you do that I can use to reproduce this crash? Or does the crash occur on launch?

Once I can reproduce the crash, I am fairly certain that I can fix it and post a test patch for you to try as the crash is occurring in NeoOffice's custom code, not the underlying OpenOffice.org code.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject:

I looked more closely at your crash log and I think I know what is causing the crash: Apple's Java is failing to fully load.

I also noticed that in your Console log that your "soffice.bin_2011-05-02-170845_fructose.crash" crash log has a non-standard name. Mac OS X never puts "_fructose" in crash log names so is it possible that you have a system hack or kernel extension installed on your machine that is making Java unloadable?

Patrick
acumen
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Only on launch

It only happens on launch. The only step is to launch the application. I can't open a file, or launch it solo, so I'm kind of stuck.

I don't know if there's any command-line switches to change how the app opens (e.g. into Calc or other internal apps), but if there are, I can try those to see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise, I'm unsure how to reproduce my environment there (and I understand why ...). I don't know if there's a debugging version of the app available or what development environment is needed to debug it, but I'm a developer and have Eclipse, NetBeans, and XCode on my machine if it's helpful. Alternatively, do you have a debug version and see if you can get more accurate call stack info? Is there anything else I'm missing?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Only on launch

It looks like I was writing my latest post while you were posting so can you look at the last post and see if the "_fructose" string in the crash log file name indicates some sort of system hack is installed? Clearly certain window types are failing to load in Java so I think we have to look for something that may be injecting its own code and interfering with Java's native code.

Patrick
acumen
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: it's the machine name

fructose is the machine name. Don't think that's non-standard, but I don't do much native Mac OS X development.

If I have a system extension installed: Where would I find it?

I will try the "safe mode" boot and see if it makes any difference.
acumen
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Safe mode boot didn't make a difference

Booted in "safe mode" (hold down Shift while booting - shows red "Safe mode" on the login screen.)

Same problem. Crashed on startup. Attached, no extensions should be loaded at this point.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe mode boot didn't make a difference

acumen wrote:
Booted in "safe mode" (hold down Shift while booting - shows red "Safe mode" on the login screen.)

Same problem. Crashed on startup. Attached, no extensions should be loaded at this point.

Very weird. Your crash log in safe boot mode is in a different place in Apple's Java code. It crashing while looking for a Java class.

Since the location of crash keeps changing, I suspect that memory is getting corrupted at some point but since you have no system hacks in the usual locations we can probably ignore system hacks as the most likely cause for now.

I would like to get you back to a clean set of preferences. I saw that you deleted your NeoOffice-3.0 preferences folder, but there are two other potential locations that preferences can be imported from when no preferences NeoOffice-3.0 preferences folder exists. So, can you delete the following folders and files and, if NeoOffice still crashes, post another crash log?:

Code:
rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-*
rm ~/Library/Preferences/org.neooffice.NeoOffice.plist

The second file holds all of the preferences that set the menus in the NeoOffice menu.

Patrick
acumen
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject:

For this:
Code:
rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-*

Only the 3.0 folder is there, deleted it.

For this:
Code:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/org.neooffice.NeoOffice.plist

No such file exists.

After deleting the prefes again, crashed, same deal. No window this time, although it may be that I don't get a chance to see it.

Seems to keep crashing in Thread 21 at:
Code:
Thread 21 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.low-priority
0   JavaNativeFoundation             0x0decfa38 JNFLookupClass + 26
1   JavaNativeFoundation             0x0decfbb3 JNFLookupMemberID + 44
2   JavaNativeFoundation             0x0ded161e JNFCallStaticVoidMethod + 49
3   libjava.jnilib                   0x0e110ceb Java_com_apple_java_AppleSystemLog_initASLNative + 351
4   JavaNativeFoundation             0x0ded3b6e JNFPerformEnvBlock + 99
5   libjava.jnilib                   0x0e110c38 Java_com_apple_java_AppleSystemLog_initASLNative + 172
6   libSystem.B.dylib                0x00db5fc4 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 16
7   libSystem.B.dylib                0x00decb6b __dispatch_after_f_block_invoke_1 + 51
8   libSystem.B.dylib                0x00db788d ___dispatch_source_create2_block_invoke_1 + 25
9   libSystem.B.dylib                0x00da9b59 _dispatch_source_invoke + 697
10  libSystem.B.dylib                0x00da84f9 _dispatch_queue_invoke + 163
11  libSystem.B.dylib                0x00da829e _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 240
12  libSystem.B.dylib                0x00da7d21 _pthread_wqthread + 390
13  libSystem.B.dylib                0x00da7b66 start_wqthread + 30

I did a search from the / directory to find any "stray" NeoOffice files:
Code:
sudo find / -name '*neooffice*'

Nothing unusual popped up, FYI.

So ... any other ideas?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Your crash logs seem to now be recurring in the same place and a quick Google search shows that same crash appearing in several other applications' crash logs.

So far, the only solution that anyone has found is to set the default Java preferences like in this forum topic.

Do you see any different settings in any of the tabs of the Java preferences application than in my screen snapshot?

Patrick
acumen
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Yep, pretty much the same. I have Java 1.5.0 installed, but it's disabled.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Where did you get Java 1.5.0 from? On all of my Mac OS X 10.6.x machines, there are no Java 1.5 entries. Also, since your Java 1.5 entries do not show Apple as the vendor, it would seem that whatever vendor you got Java 1.5 from, installing it has broken Apple's Java 1.6 installation.

Patrick
acumen
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject:

It is a past version of the JavaVM used for compatibility with an older version of Zend Dev Environment.

To test your theory, I removed the old version and, surprise, it worked.

The change made was rather simple, placing 1.5.0-leopard into the Versions folder:
Code:
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
sudo rm 1.5 1.5.0
sudo ln -s 1.5.0-leopard 1.5
sudo ln -s 1.5.0-leopard 1.5.0

The reason why I did this is here (and it does fix the bug...):

http://daveyshafik.com/archives/721-fixing-zde-5-5-in-snow-leopard.html

The question is, then, why does NeoOffice load the 1.5.0 version of Java, when the Java Prefs indicate not to?'

And P.S. Sorry for the trouble: I assumed that unchecking those boxes would simply disable access to 1.5...

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject:

acumen wrote:
The question is, then, why does NeoOffice load the 1.5.0 version of Java, when the Java Prefs indicate not to?'

And P.S. Sorry for the trouble: I assumed that unchecking those boxes would simply disable access to 1.5...

NeoOffice does not rely on the Java preferences setting. Instead, our code loads the known stable Apple Java versions directly within our C and C++ code by loading the Java 1.6 main shared library and then invoking the standard "start Java" C function.

I only recommended that you look at those settings because other Java applications reported having the same crash when those preferences were set to non-standard settings. Your settings were standard but the preference window is what made me realize you had a non-standard version of Java installed.

In theory, your softlink changes should work but only if you ensure that NeoOffice is set to use Java 1.6, not Java 1.5 as the 1.5 JVM's java.awt.* classes are specifically designed to only run on Mac OS X 10.5.

So, what you might want to try doing before you put Java 1.5 back in use is to launch NeoOffice, select the Tools :: Options dialog, and in the dialog that appears, select the NeoOffice :: Java item. Wait a few seconds for Java 1.6 to appear. Select Java 1.6 and press the OK button.

You can then try putting Java 1.5 back in and then relaunch NeoOffice. If Java 1.6 is not affected by your softlink changes, NeoOffice should load Java 1.6 and not Java 1.5.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I was a bit surprised we hadn't already had a FAQ item on the "hacking around with JVM symlinks" issue, since it had been such a problem in the past.

I made a quick stab at filling that in, mentioning the old "let's move the symlink to change the default version" issue and this new "install 1.5 on 10.6" issue: Check for a non-standard Java installation.

(I also did a bit of cleanup of the old Java 1.4.2 stuff that was relevant for 10.3/10.4 and Neo 2 and which really is no longer relevant at all.)

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1