Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New "Donate" box...
New "Donate" box...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: New "Donate" box...

OK, well, Patrick's set up the beginnings of a donation system that hopefully will help offset the increased electricity demands of the new trinity server Wink Actually, its more for helping us get bandwidth to support the growing number of users we're attracting.

Instead of doing anything *too* annoying, I added a new block to the left side of all the pages that trinity displays going to the main donation page. If you think this is annoying...

All you have to do is register an account!

My logic is that the folks who registered accounts here have probably already read through the relevant stuff and don't need to see donation links...some seem to have already even donated before the pages went up Very Happy

Accounts on trinity are of course are still free and will always be so. The e-mail addresses here also are not displayed publicly any longer (thank God) and I certainly don't use them. My objective by putting the box there, at least, isn't to even get donations...but maybe just to make the casual "guest" aware that we all are doing a public service and aren't some type of corporate entity fronting a ".org" address. Unfortunately that left link is the only place I could throw it since the right ones don't show up for FAQ and anonymous forums and I was too lazy to fix the PHP.

Hopefully, everyone here who's registered already won't see it.

And the regular guest contributors, please don't go and feel the need to register an account either! I put it on the side as to not consume any more screen real-estate for ya. A few hours ago it was at the top and was way too obnoxious...I apologize. It's not my intent to make having an account a "need" unless I have to (e.g. the comment spam abuse in the news articles made me disable anonymous posting there).

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject:

I can't see it, but that is the point since I am a registered user.

Good effort. Nice to see a change from in-your-face-marketing at some other websites Smile. Nice car too, BTW...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Being overly picky about language :)

http://trinity.neooffice.org wrote:
Help us keep trinity and NeoOffice/J alive by contributing to our cause.

I tend to become overly picky about language sometimes (recall my duels with Apricot over wording in the OOo Readme Smile), but to me the language sounds a little too "desperate," like trinity and NeoJ are in danger of going away if there's not a cash infusion (which may be the case, but it's not the impression I had).

I think changing "alive" to something that couldn't be interpreted in such a dire manner would help...except I can't think of anything that fits both trinity and NeoJ right now (progressing, developing, ...).

Anyway, I think everything's great with the new little box aside from that one word Smile

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject:

No, they're definitely not going to be going away at all and didn't read the sentence that way, but yeah it sounds a bit whiny. I was just trying to come up with something short and not too obnoxious for the box. How about something more like "Show your appreciation for..."? "Help us buy more beer for.."?

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
No, they're definitely not going to be going away at all and didn't read the sentence that way, but yeah it sounds a bit whiny. I was just trying to come up with something short and not too obnoxious for the box. How about something more like "Show your appreciation for..."? "Help us buy more beer for.."?

"Help us keep Trinity and NeoOffice/J on track by contributing to our work."

I am not big on the term cause. I feel it is rather overused in this day and age.. BTW, please lose the J.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject:

Done. The text of the block should be that above now. As to dropping the /J, it's up to Patrick, of course...I was thinking the moment we finish all of the aqua work it definitely makes sense, but Patrick may be fond of the /J. After all, it's his baby Smile

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
As to dropping the /J, it's up to Patrick, of course...I was thinking the moment we finish all of the aqua work it definitely makes sense, but Patrick may be fond of the /J. After all, it's his baby Smile

I have no problem dropping the /J. However, I suggest that we wait until Neo/J 2.0 to do this as changing it right now may cause all sorts of confusion which could negate the name recognition that we have been building up in the last couple of months.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1