Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Lion new features?
Lion new features?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Don't worry about it. Getting textblind is an occupational hazard.

Have a good weekend,
Oscar

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject:

so i've been thinking more on the full screen thing. (seems i may have found another two cents...)

right now i can cover damn near all of my screen with NeoOffice. If I hide the dock there really isn't much bigger you could make the program.

but here is the thing, in that configuration i still have a space issue. the way that NeoOffice (well OpenOffice, really) displays the page and menus and floating bars, etc just doesn't seem to use the space efficiently after a certain point.

this is especially true of the 'page' display.

I guess this is where I am going with this. If by "full screen" you mean take Neo like it is displayed now and make it cover that last %5-%10 of the screen, then my opinion is that just isn't worth the time for development.

if you mean make the information actually display in such a way that it is useful by changing the way Neo displays the 'page' then i would say that is probably outside the scope of NeoOffice project.

maybe i am missing something. I've been wrong before... but figured i'd ad another opinion to the mix.

-j
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
I guess this is where I am going with this. If by "full screen" you mean take Neo like it is displayed now and make it cover that last %5-%10 of the screen, then my opinion is that just isn't worth the time for development.

What you describe is more or less what NeoOffice would look like if we implement Lion's new "full screen" feature. You are correct that implementing this Lion feature would look nearly the same as what you see now when you select NeoOffice's Shift-Command-J menu except that with the new Lion feature, NeoOffice would automatically hide the Dock, menubar, and document titlebar.

There is one other part of the new Lion feature that we would implement if enough donors tell us that they want this feature: using trackpad gestures to switch documents when in full screen mode. I don't know if this is a feature that donors want or not, but this part of Lion's full screen feature makes me think that the feature is targeted for people who want to make their Mac behave more like an iPad.

jakeOSX wrote:
if you mean make the information actually display in such a way that it is useful by changing the way Neo displays the 'page' then i would say that is probably outside the scope of NeoOffice project.

Your assumption is correct: revamping NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org Writer application is not something that we can fund given our current donation levels.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject:

FYI. Now that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion has been released, I have added some screen snapshots of what Lion's new Versions feature will look like in NeoOffice.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject:

FYI. Since we are a few days ahead of schedule for the upcoming NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta release, I spent a little time investigating what engineering is required to implement Lion's new Full-Screen feature.

Surprisingly, implementing it required only a few small changes to the NeoOffice code. Also, I was able to use code similar to the code that we use to support the NeoOffice :: Services to have the existing View :: Full Screen menu also trigger Lion's Full-Screen feature.

Since this feature is essentially complete, we will include it in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Beta. I have posted additional text and screen snapshots for this new feature in the NeoOffice 3.2.1 new features list.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2