· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Download Help
Download Help

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t10601
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Download Help

I donated and downloaded Neooffice last night to my Mac. When I tried to open the .dmg I got an error message saying the file can not be opened.
So I tried to download again thinking something got corrupted in the original download but it requires a donation again.
Any ideas on what I should do at this point?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject:

You should not need to donate again. Are you seeing the "NeoOffice donors: Login to start the download" section on our site?

If so, are you able to login using the same e-mail address that you used to create your account "t10601" account on this site? To look up the e-mail that you used for your "t10601" account on this site, click on the Profile link at the top of this page to view your account's e-mail address.

Patrick

Edit: I added a screen snapshot below that shows what the login section of the download page looks like.
anentropic
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject:

guys, you need to find some better download hosting

I tried to download twice from different mirrors and each time the download got stuck (90.7/152MB and 114/152MB)

I'm using Chrome which has a pause and resume feature, but since I hadn't paused the download when it got stuck I couldn't resume (pausing anyway and then resuming didn't bring it back to life either).

I did subsequently download successfully via cURL on the command line.

This doesn't happen when downloading from other servers though - there seems to be something wrong with yours?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject:

anentropic wrote:
This doesn't happen when downloading from other servers though - there seems to be something wrong with yours?

We have dedicated machines in 3 different data centers and every time I download (we test our servers frequently), all three mirrors download quickly and there is no interruption. Since I do my downloads from my home in California and our servers are in 2 different cities in Texas, I am pretty certain that the problem is not our servers.

Most likely, you are seeing a network problem somewhere in an internet provider's connection between your machine and our servers. Many internet service providers nowadays are known to drop connections when what they consider a "too large of a download" to occur or their local network becomes saturated.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject:

anentropic wrote:
I'm using Chrome which has a pause and resume feature, but since I hadn't paused the download when it got stuck I couldn't resume (pausing anyway and then resuming didn't bring it back to life either).

FYI. Chrome is known to truncate large downloads as shown by the multitude of bugs that have filed against Chrome for this issue:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=68195

I do not know why Google cannot write a web browser that checks that the actual number of bytes downloaded equals the number of bytes that we send in the HTTP headers, but this seems to be a basic check that a web browser would use to detect network interruptions or other download failures.

Until Google fixes this Chrome bug, I would recommend that you use Safari or Firefox to download very large files like NeoOffice.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject:

FYI. I did find one problem with our web code that may be related to this. I found that resuming a paused download was broken in Safari. It works fine in Firefox so after some troubleshooting I found that Safari does not send any of your "session cookies" when it tries to resume a paused download.

I have fixed resumable downloading when using Safari so that if you are still logged into our download site, you should be able to pause and resume any downloads. I don't know if this will have any effect on Google Chrome's "truncated download" bug, but at least you should be able to resume a download that gets stopped.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1