Italics not showing in some fonts in text docs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject:

natpoor wrote:
I would guess it was a problem with the 10.7 installer but then it should happen consistently (maybe) under 10.7, which it didn't (since you all tested that). I have no idea. But I am really glad you fixed it, and I now know about Font Book and hopefully can fix such things on my own if they happen again.

I think that your theory that the 10.7 installer might be the cause is a good theory as we did not do an upgrade from older version of Mac OS X on any of our development machines. Instead, both Ed and I did a clean install on Mac OS X 10.7 on a new, empty volume.

natpoor wrote:
Thanks! I am sorry to have wasted your time on a non-Neo Office problem (but why didn't it happen in Text Edit, hmm weird), but at the same time I am glad it is not a bug in Neo Office.

Actually, I think that that there might be possibly be a bug in NeoOffice as I have not seen this "duplicate font" problem appear for quite some time.

Do you have any idea where the duplicate Times New Roman font came from? I installed Microsoft Office 2008 and no duplicate font was added. Also, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard's Times New Roman font is the same font version as the font bundled with Mac OS X 10.7.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject:

natpoor wrote:
Thanks! I am sorry to have wasted your time on a non-Neo Office problem (but why didn't it happen in Text Edit, hmm weird), but at the same time I am glad it is not a bug in Neo Office.

Glad to have helped!

TextEdit has always done some things strangely; for instance, for a long time (Mac OS X 10.2-10.4), it was the only application on the Mac that was able to see the Oblique (italic) faces of Courier and Helvetica; even Font Book couldn't! And, generally speaking, whatever special, private code Apple used in TextEdit was more resistant to the problems of duplicate fonts. So we became used to troubleshooting font-related problems Wink

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I've ever done a clean install -- I have an iMac that is about 3 or 4 years old (I am not on it currently or I would check). However, until recently Neo Office did not display the non-italic problem, and I did recently upgrade to 10.7 on it, although I didn't check right away so can't be sure about the exact timing. I don't have any other office apps on it (no MS Office). Oh I'm on my also-recently upgraded AirBook... it does *not* have the duplicate font (now I know how to check in Font Book). Hmm, well this AirBook (ok "MacBook Air") is a lot newer, 6 months old or so, so has had only one system upgrade (to 10.7). It was weird that the system didn't flag the TNR fonts as duplicates in Font Book, and it was weird that Neo Office had the problem but Text Edit didn't. Actually it was weird that there were duplicate fonts at all I bet. Maybe there was a small "cascade of errors" (dup font, not getting flagged, then Neo Office couldn't get the right info from the system or something).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2