Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash when opening WordPerfect files
Crash when opening WordPerfect files

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoozier
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: help?

I just installed NeoOffice and it locks up on File Open, crashes when saving. Running Lion on a MacBook Pro. Trying to open WordPerfect docs and wish to save them as .docs. Confused

I know I'm in the wrong forum space, but this is convoluted and I only paid the 10 bucks. Geez, frustrating!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject:

You are correct that posting your NeoOffice support request onto an unrelated topic in the Server Outages and Problems forum was the the wrong place to NeoOffice issues. I have moved your post to the NeoOffice Support forum where it will be seen. That forum has a minimum donation limit but once you donate the minimum amount, please post a reply and we will start working on your issue.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject:

I suspect that Hoozier is seeing this LibreOffice bug. NeoOffice 3.2.1 uses the same WordPerfect import code as LibreOffice 3.3.x so while there is no fix for this bug at this time, we will try to backport any fix that the LibreOffice developers may implement.

Of course, if any donors that have paid enough to post in this forum are having problems with opening certain WordPerfect documents, please attach a sample document that we can use to reproduce the problem and we will try to fix it ourselves instead of waiting for LibreOffice to fix it.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I suspect that Hoozier is seeing this LibreOffice bug. NeoOffice 3.2.1 uses the same WordPerfect import code as LibreOffice 3.3.x so while there is no fix for this bug at this time, we will try to backport any fix that the LibreOffice developers may implement.

Wow, that document exposes a nasty bug in LO/OOo's table handling!

I say it's a bug in the table handling because of this info I found when testing with that document to suggest a possible work-around for Hoozier. However, if that bug is what he's seeing, I don't think a work-around is possible Sad

I converted the .wpd file from that bug to .odt using my most recent build of wpd2odt (the command-line tool that's part of libwpd). Apple's QuickLook (because there's no embedded NeoOffice preview) and TextEdit both open the document successfully, although some of the formatting is lost. NeoOffice, however, still hangs.

I make several slight modifications to the document, save from TextEdit as both .odt and .doc; NeoOffice still hangs.

Finally, I deleted the lower table from the document and save again; all is well in NeoOffice.

So the document in that bug exposes some sort of bug in LO/OOo's table-handling code, rather than the WordPerfect conversion code, because Apple's tools are able to open/preview the .odt resulting from the WordPerfect conversion just fine, and because NeoOffice fails to open that .odt, and that .odt converted to .doc, until the lower table is deleted.

Edit: Also, i meant to say that I went through a substantial number of my own WordPerfect documents and could not find one that failed to open, so if Hoozier is not seeing that LO bug, whatever bug he's seeing is not one that I can reproduce.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Edit: Also, i meant to say that I went through a substantial number of my own WordPerfect documents and could not find one that failed to open, so if Hoozier is not seeing that LO bug, whatever bug he's seeing is not one that I can reproduce.

The fact that you cannot reproduce the bug with your own WordPerfect documents is a key reason why we aren't going to spend time trying to fix that bug unless a large donor can provide a sample document affected by this bug.

It may seem like an arbitrary reason to not work on that bug, but investigating and fixing OpenOffice.org bugs almost always require large amounts of our time and since our donation revenues only support me and a little bit of Ed's time, the number of such bugs that we can fix each year is severely limited. So, we use the $100 donation requirement in this forum as a way to ration our limited bug fixing time.

$100 may sound high for direct support from the NeoOffice engineers but even at that amount we nearly always spend more than 10 times that amount fixing OpenOffice.org bugs. So limiting bug reporting to only those who donate enough to help cover part of the cost of fixing the bug is a key part of how we ensure that our time is spent fixing bugs that affect the most people.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Wow, that document exposes a nasty bug in LO/OOo's table handling!

FWIW, I sent my analysis to Fridrich, who works on the WP import filter, and he confirmed that bug is a Writer bug rather than a WP import bug (layout loop when trying to lay out a tab in a table cell) and said he'd ask some LO Writer devs to take a look.

So if the bug Hoozier is seeing is the LO bug Patrick found, it's possible the LO developers might work on fixing it sometime in the future. Not the best result in the world, but it'll likely save $1,000 of Patrick's time.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1