Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
On my system, the graphs in later slides were misshapen, with several lines that were supposed to be horizontal or vertical looking diagonal and going weirdly across the graph instead. Slides 4 and 7 have this.

I can reproduce this as well. It also occurs in LibreOffice 3.3.x and 3.4.x so this particular issue is definitely a .pptx importer bug.

I am not sure if I can fix this bug, but since it appears to be that the bug is caused by the OpenOffice.org code is closing any open shapes, I will attempt to find the cause of this bug in between fixing any other "de-Javafication" bugs that are reported this week.

ovvldc wrote:
On slide 8 and 9, some of the glyphs are replaced by symbols.

I can reproduce this in NeoOffice as well as in my Go-oo 3.1.1.1 build but not in LibreOffice 3.3.x and 3.4.x so this appears to be an OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 bug that the OpenOffice.org developers fixed in a later release. The bug is that the OpenOffice.org code does not change the font back to Calibri after the arrow that uses the Wingdings font so the rest of the slide uses the Wingdings symbol font.

I will see if I can find and backport the fix for this bug from the LibreOffice 3.4.6.2 code.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject:

Patch 5 Test 13 fixes the shift arrow bug for me. Thanks.

Andy.

P.S. Just so you know, I test things when I'm at work and I work Tuesday to Saturday, which is why there is a delay in me responding to test patches released after 2pm GMT on a Saturday.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Patch 5 Test 13 fixes the shift arrow bug for me. Thanks.

That is good to hear. At this point, since Apple has posted that Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be released in July, I will work on staging NeoOffice 3.3 Beta using the code in the last test patch plus the fix for crash on startup bug that ovvldc found.

If you find any other bugs in the latest test patch, please don't hesitate to post.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject:

I've been working on my home MacMini on the document attached. It crashed a couple of times when copying text from a converted .docx file in to this one. I had to abandon the Test versions and use 3.2.1. Patch 5 with all the Java instead.

I've not been able to reproduce the crash on my work machine yet, but I'll keep trying.

For now here's a couple of crash logs.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I've been working on my home MacMini on the document attached. It crashed a couple of times when copying text from a converted .docx file in to this one. I had to abandon the Test versions and use 3.2.1. Patch 5 with all the Java instead.

I cannot reproduce this yet so I have a couple of questions:

1. Was the converted .docx open in NeoOffice when the crash occurred?

2. What type of content did you copy from the converted .docx? Specifically, were you copying anything other than plain old text like an image, a URL, or other type of object?

3. Were you trying to open a document from the Finder when the crashing occurred? Or did it only occur when pasting?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject:

I have uploaded the following test patch. While this test patch is essentially the same as the last one (the only difference is that it has the fix for the crashing bug that ovvldc found), this test patch includes debug information so that when the crash occurs again, the crash logs will hopefully provide more detail as to where the crash is actually occurring in the code.

Can you install the test patch the next that you are using your home machine and see if you can get NeoOffice to crash and, if so, post a new crash log?

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-14-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

1. Was the converted .docx open in NeoOffice when the crash occurred?
Yes. I was copy & pasting stuff across from it.
Quote:

2. What type of content did you copy from the converted .docx? Specifically, were you copying anything other than plain old text like an image, a URL, or other type of object?

I think it was just plain text at the time, but it may have contained a URL.
Quote:

3. Were you trying to open a document from the Finder when the crashing occurred? Or did it only occur when pasting?

It happened just after I'd pasted some stuff and I was navigating round the document.

I've tried to reproduce the document in the same way that I did last night, but so far no crash. I'll keep an eye on it though.

I've attached the original docx file for good measure.

There is a not Java related problem with the dock importer though. The two images in the document should be different. But the importer displays them as both the same. Digging around in the docx file shows that their are two different images. A realise this may be someone else's problem!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
There is a not Java related problem with the dock importer though. The two images in the document should be different. But the importer displays them as both the same. Digging around in the docx file shows that their are two different images. A realise this may be someone else's problem!

This is definitely a NeoOffice bug as I found that this bug did not appear until the NeoOffice 3.2.1 patch last fall where I backported the LibreOffice 3.3.4 .docx import code to fix some OpenOffice.org crashing bugs. Since the bug does not occur in any version of LibreOffice, most likely there is an incompatibility in the LibreOffice 3.3.4 code that I backported.

I will definitely investigate this bug further.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I've attached the original docx file for good measure.

I think that I have fixed this bug and now, with the following test patch, your .docx looks the same as LibreOffice 3.3.4 does and the correct image is shown for the second image in the document.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us of the .docx image bug is fixed for you? Also, does the crashing still occur with this test patch?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-17-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject:

That's great. The images are now correct, though I'm not sure the position of the second one is correct (I've attached a screenshot) though if it's the same as in LibreOffice then it's an importer issue and not a NeoOffice one, I guess.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce the crash I had before.

Also when scrolling a document by grabbing the scroll handle (Lion with a Mighty Mouse) I got some artefacts whilst scrolling towards the top of the document i.e. part of the bottom of the window was moved up the screen along with the document. I recorded a movie, which I can post tonight, but again, it seemed to sort itself and I've not been able to find steps to reproduce it.

I'll keep trying!

One last thing. When opening a form for the first time after opening a base document, there is quite a long delay. When Java was being used this wait was accompanied by the Java wait cursor (a pointer with no tail and a spinning ball). Now without Java nothing at all appears to happen, except that the main database window is unresponsive until the form finally appears. I realise this is cosmetic, but is there anyway to change the cursor to the SPOD or something similar while waiting for the form to open? It would just be a bit more re-assuring that something was about to happen and I hadn't just failed to correctly double click the form name.

Thanks

Andy

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
That's great. The images are now correct, though I'm not sure the position of the second one is correct (I've attached a screenshot) though if it's the same as in LibreOffice then it's an importer issue and not a NeoOffice one, I guess.

The LibreOffice 3.3.4 code fails to center the second image. As you probably have noticed, NeoOffice's .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx support is not nearly as good as the support for the older .doc, .xls, and .ppt file formats. I have seen some improved support in LibreOffice 3.5.x, but right now our primary priority is to finish getting NeoOffice ready for Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion so upgrading NeoOffice's underlying code to use a recent version of the LibreOffice code is not likely to be done in the near future.

amayze wrote:
I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce the crash I had before.

My hope is that the duplicate image bug might have also caused the crashing but if the crash occurs again, please don't hesitate to post a crash log and I will investigate it.

amayze wrote:
Also when scrolling a document by grabbing the scroll handle (Lion with a Mighty Mouse) I got some artefacts whilst scrolling towards the top of the document i.e. part of the bottom of the window was moved up the screen along with the document. I recorded a movie, which I can post tonight, but again, it seemed to sort itself and I've not been able to find steps to reproduce it.

If you can reproduce it, please let me know what steps and/or document to use. The "sorting itself out" happens because eventually NeoOffice repaints all the content in the window and that paints over any previous drawing artifacts.

amayze wrote:
One last thing. When opening a form for the first time after opening a base document, there is quite a long delay. When Java was being used this wait was accompanied by the Java wait cursor (a pointer with no tail and a spinning ball). Now without Java nothing at all appears to happen, except that the main database window is unresponsive until the form finally appears. I realise this is cosmetic, but is there anyway to change the cursor to the SPOD or something similar while waiting for the form to open? It would just be a bit more re-assuring that something was about to happen and I hadn't just failed to correctly double click the form name.

I can think that I can find a cursor to use but note that Java uses its own wait cursor so we can't use that cursor. Instead, I think we are limited to the old Mac Classic wristwatch cursor.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

I can think that I can find a cursor to use but note that Java uses its own wait cursor so we can't use that cursor. Instead, I think we are limited to the old Mac Classic wristwatch cursor.
Patrick

That would be good. It really doesn't matter to me that it's the Java wait cursor or the standard OS X one, it would just be nice if it was obvious that something is happening during the ~5 second wait after a double click on a form name.

Thanks

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:

I found a better solution than using the old Mac Classic style wristwatch cursor. Instead of changing the cursor, I display the standard spinning indicator (see screen snapshot below) in the middle of the window.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us of you see the new spinning indicator in the cases where Java used to display a cursor with a blue spinning ball?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-18-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject:

Perfect!
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject:

I've been playing with Impress for a bit and I noticed two things that may or may not be caused by the de-javafication:

*Pasting text into Impress seems to make its bottom line look fatter until refreshed (switch to different slide and back).
*Slides in the slide bar to the left can take several seconds to update

All of this is cosmetic and of minor annoyance, so nothing to hold up a beta over.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12