Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
IOften the vertical anti-aliasing seems somewhat off, leading to a fussy grey base for text. This is particularly true for serif fonts.

I can see heavy antialiasing when I zoom into your screen snapshot (see first image below). However, I don't see this the same behavior when I use Times New Roman (see second image below).

Is there a specific font, font size, and document zoom that I can use to try and reproduce this behavior? In the second image, I used Times New Roman 12 point at 100% zoom.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject:

That would be Garamond Premier Pro.

Have a lovely Easter,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
That would be Garamond Premier Pro.

Unfortunately, Garamond Premier Pro is an Adobe font that is not freely available so I won't be able to reproduce what you see with that specific font. I tried using the Garamond font that Microsoft Office installed on my machine, but I could not reproduce the problem that you see.

So, can you try the following steps to help me narrow down the cause of what you are seeing?:

1. If you select the View :: Zoom menu and in the dialog that appears, set the zoom factor to 100%, does the same behavior occur?

2. If the answer to step 1 is "yes", then does the same behavior occur if you increase the point size slightly? If so, what was the original point size that you used and what did you have to increase the point size to before the behavior stopped?

3. If you have the time to try other fonts, do you see this behavior occur when using any of the standard fonts that are bundled with Mac OS X?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I have finished the 4th of the 5 major phases of our NeoOffice "de-Javafication" work by removing all Java code from the NeoOffice menubar and its submenus.

With this test patch, the only change that you should see is when you display a dialog, the underlying document window's menus will remain in the menubar. In our previous Java-based code, we cleared the menubar to avoid some Java bugs.

Even though the document window's menus will remain in the menubar, they will be disabled when you display a modal dialog like is done when you select the Tools :: Options dialog. This disabling of menus is done to match the disabled menu behavior that has always been in NeoOffice when a native modal dialog like the native open or save file dialog is displayed.

If anyone can install the test patch and sees anything unusual menu behavior, please let us know and we will investigate. Also, CPU usage should not have changed in the new code so if you see very high CPU usage, definitely let us know:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-10-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject:

Soon after I posted the native menubar test patch yesterday, I found a crashing bug. The bug occurs when you right-click or Command-click in a Writer window and then close that window by pressing the red window close button.

I have fixed that crashing bug and posted the following new test patch so if you installed the last test patch, please install the following test patch:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-11-Intel.dmg

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I only had time for a quick test but the latest patch installed ok and all looks good.
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I have downloaded and tried the test patch 11 and it seems to work fine.

I did stumble across something that didn't seem quite right but it is not a new behavior.

In Writer when I go to File::Print settings the dialog window Printer Options opens and over it a second drop down dialog window that has things like Settings:... Format For:.... Paper Size:... ; The File and Edit items remain in the Menu Bar.

If I mouse to one of the tool bars of the document and click on them there is a brief flash/flicker and the File and Edit items in the Menu Bar disappears.

If I click on the OK or Cancel button on this 2nd drop down dialog window disappears along with the File and Edit items in the Menu Bar. Also now when I right click anywhere outside of the Dialog window or if I mouse over and click on one of the icons in the Tool Bar I get an audible bong sound.

I am wondering if the File and Edit items are supposed to remain when I first open the Print Settings, and if there is supposed to be an audible sound if I click outside of the dialog window?

I am running these tests on 10.6.8.

Galen
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I will add another bit to my previous post. The behavior with the File Edit and sometimes other items remaining in the Menu Bar is inconsistent. If I have another window from another application open in the background it happens regularly such as when I have a Safari window like this open in the background. If NeoOffice is the only app open then sometimes the Menu Bar is clear.

Galen
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
In Writer when I go to File::Print settings the dialog window Printer Options opens and over it a second drop down dialog window that has things like Settings:... Format For:.... Paper Size:... ; The File and Edit items remain in the Menu Bar.

If I mouse to one of the tool bars of the document and click on them there is a brief flash/flicker and the File and Edit items in the Menu Bar disappears.

For me the menubar always clears on my Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.8 machines so just to make sure that I understand what you are seeing, are you seeing all but the File and Edit menus disappear from the menubar or does the menubar still have all of the menus through the Help menu?

revsmitty wrote:
I am wondering if the File and Edit items are supposed to remain when I first open the Print Settings, and if there is supposed to be an audible sound if I click outside of the dialog window?

The File and Edit menus should not remain. Either all or none of the menus should show in the menubar.

The sound, however, is normal behavior for NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. You won't hear any sound when a native dialog or sheet is showing as those native dialogs (like the open and save dialogs) or sheets (like the printer settings sheet attached to the dialog that you see) block mouse clicks outside of the native dialog or sheet. But when a non-native OpenOffice.org dialog like the Tools :: Option dialog has focus, mouse clicks fall through the document window and the OpenOffice.org code plays the default alert sound.

Patrick
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject:

Attached is a screen shot of what I was seeing. I had iCal and Safari open behind NeoOffice. Sometimes I would see other items in the menu bar. I have another screen shot with File, Edit, View and Insert in the Menu Bar. If I clicked on File or Edit nothing would happen except for the screen redraw without the items in the Menu Bar.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
Attached is a screen shot of what I was seeing. I had iCal and Safari open behind NeoOffice. Sometimes I would see other items in the menu bar. I have another screen shot with File, Edit, View and Insert in the Menu Bar. If I clicked on File or Edit nothing would happen except for the screen redraw without the items in the Menu Bar.

Although I cannot reproduce what you are seeing, I have seen cases on Mac OS X 10.6 and higher where changes to the menubar do not trigger redrawing of the menubar. Essentially, it appears that starting with Mac OS 10.6, Apple assumes that the menubar for an application should never change and so their menubar drawing code seems to fail to detect that the menubar has changed and needs a full redraw and, instead, Apple's code just paints a cached copy of the menubar.

Based on the above, I have tried to trigger redrawing of menubar by doing menubar changes in smaller steps in the hope that that will trigger menubar redraw.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if you are seeing the same or different behavior in the menubar? If the behavior is the same, I have another approach I can try:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-12-Intel.dmg

Patrick
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick,
I have downloaded and installed P4-T12 and, at least on the Mini running 10.7 in my office, all the items on the Menu Bar related to NeoOffice now consistently disappear when I choose File::Printer Settings. That was the only place I encountered this issue.

I will test on the 10.6.8 machine later this evening - have to help at a track meet in just a little bit it will not happen for several hours.

Galen
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject:

FYI. I posted the following test patch because today we released NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5. Patch 5 does not have any of our "de-Javafication" code in it so if you were using any of the previous test patches that I posted in this forum topic, then install the following test patch.

The following test patch and the last test patch are identical. The only difference is that the following test patch tells NeoOffice's automatic patch update check that your installation has the latest patch:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-0-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I posted the following test patch because today we released NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5. Patch 5 does not have any of our "de-Javafication" code in it so if you were using any of the previous test patches that I posted in this forum topic, then install the following test patch.

I installed this one, but it will be some time before I can give feedback. I've been working 12-hour days all week Sad.

Thanks for the hard work!

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I installed this one, but it will be some time before I can give feedback. I've been working 12-hour days all week Sad.

No worries. We still have a few months until Mac OS X 10.8 is released so here is the current working plan:

- I will likely push out another test patch within the next 2 or 3 weeks that removes the last bits of Java window and event handling code

- If the number of bugs in the test patch is small, we will release NeoOffice 3.3 Beta in early June 2012 with the full "de-Javafied" code plus codesigning for Mac OS X 10.8 users

- While we are in Beta and waiting for Mac OS X 10.8 to be released, I will use any spare time to implement any new feature requests that have gotten the minimum required votes from donors

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12